We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:57

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Superb improvement in the printing quality of R&M Magazine

Index -> Rocks & Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 10:38    Post subject: Superb improvement in the printing quality of R&M Magazine  

I would like to say: Good job! to Marie Huizing and all the Rocks & Minerals staff for their great job improving the printing quality of the last issues of the magazine. The first issue of 2013 was already excellent in terms of quality printing, and the March/April issue is even better with a superlative photo of a Merelani Diopside on the front cover and many great photos inside. As usual, the articles are very interesting, with many authors that we know well here like Peter Megaw and John A. Jaszczak. The list of the articles of this issue (and the previous ones) and summaries of some articles can be seen on line in its Web page and if you are a subscriber to the magazine you have the right to access the whole issues on line which is extremely convenient.

The reason for this large improvement in the quality of the color is, according to Marie Huizing :
"The new process involves providing color-match glossy prints for all illustrations. These are used by the graphics dept. and the printer and are then returned to me by the printer along with a glossy copy of the entire issue for color-proofing before going to press. Terry, John, and I (or just John and I) do the proofing, photo by photo and page by page, noting any color delay changes that need to be made. Starting with the Jan/Feb issue, Mark Mauthner (bless his heart) has been providing the glossy match prints."

Again, congratulations to Rocks & Minerals for its constant effort to improve this fine magazine.

Rocks&Minerals March-April 2013 issue Raman article.gif
 Description:
One page of this issue. The article "Word to the Wise: Raman Spectroscopy In the Identification and Study of Minerals" from John A. Jaszczak
 Viewed:  30653 Time(s)

Rocks&Minerals March-April 2013 issue Raman article.gif

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 11:40    Post subject: Re: Superb improvement in the printing quality of R&M Magazine  

More infos coming from Marie Huizing:

"...when I start working on an issue, I forward all the photos to Mark either as attachments or on disc. He in turn makes color-match glossy prints of each one to his exacting standards and sends them to me via the U.S. postal system. The prints are then used by our graphics department and by the printer to adjust the color. Before publication, glossy pages of the entire issue, along with the color-match prints, are overnighted to me for approval/correction. Terry, John Rakovan, and I go over the pages together, noting any color changes that need to be made. Mark Mauthner's tireless efforts are key to making the new system work, and I cannot thank him enough."

Malcolm Southwood

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 16:35    Post subject: Re: Superb improvement in the printing quality of R&M Magazine  

Jordi,
I absolutely agree with you - the layout, the presentation and the printing quality are all really superb. But I'd also like to note a more gradual improvement (at least from my perspective) in that, over recent years, the quality of the articles and the mix of the articles has improved massively as well. Again, I think congratulations are due to all concerned!
mal

John Jaszczak

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 09:16    Post subject: Re: Superb improvement in the printing quality of R&M Magazine  

I heartily agree. I can also attest to the fact that the care that the editors give to the articles, including the text, is truly excellent.

Index -> Rocks & Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: