We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-07:44:49 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
10 Apr-05:49:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:46:01 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:38:13 Re: collection of carles millan (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:34:12 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:19:03 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
10 Apr-03:51:13 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 15, 2024 23:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  

colin robinson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2014 18:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Tobi, I've been down Florence mine quite a few times and know the Lonely Hearts area. It is not far from either the Florence shaft or the Ullcoats workings so the idea of it being long and lonely work makes no sense at all when you consider that all hard rock mining is long and lonely work for the small gang of men pushing forward a heading. A more likely explanation is that it's a little joke among the miners. Cumbrians are good at that sort of thing!

The drift driven from surface is what we up here call a dib or dip shaft and is either an incline or decline..depending.

Beckermet didn't produce much of note apart from the Banana Slide calcites but I have found small blue fluorites on the dump from no. 1 shaft.

The pumps, headframe and winding gear at Florence are still fully functional and the mine could easily be re-opened if we could find someone to pay the pumping costs. Any takers out there?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2014 04:34    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

colin robinson wrote:
Tobi, I've been down Florence mine quite a few times and know the Lonely Hearts area. It is not far from either the Florence shaft or the Ullcoats workings so the idea of it being long and lonely work makes no sense at all when you consider that all hard rock mining is long and lonely work for the small gang of men pushing forward a heading. A more likely explanation is that it's a little joke among the miners. Cumbrians are good at that sort of thing!

Hi Colin,

i think the given explanations for the name are not contradictory: The one i quoted does not necessarily deny that the naming was rather a joke of the miners ;-) If there are no written records from the past, we will not know for sure ...

Tobi

Philip Mostmans

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2014 10:02    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Hi Colin,

Good to hear from you again, it's been a while.

Thank you for the background information.

As much as I would like to help out reopening the Florence mine, I'm afraid my current account balance the pumps would not last more than several days. Perhaps if we all tried our luck in the lottery? :-)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 04:37    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Two more classics from Cumbrian mines:

IMG_0370.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, chalcopyrite
 Locality:
Hilton Mine, Scordale, Hilton, North Pennines Orefield, former Westmorland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size 4,5 cm, largest fluorite 12 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23918 Time(s)

IMG_0370.JPG

SmallcleughGAL.JPG
 Mineral: Galena, dolomite
 Locality:
Smallcleugh Mine, Nenthead, Alston Moor District, North Pennines Orefield, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size 8,5 cm, largest galena 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23914 Time(s)

SmallcleughGAL.JPG

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 04:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Thank you Tobi - nice specimens for the region. Let's have some more folks!

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 05:52    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Okay, if you insist!

Fluorite on Baryte from the Dow Scar Level, Hilton Mine, Scordale, Cumbria (formerly Westmorland). The specimen was recovered in 1970 by Mick Sutcliffe and Lindsay Greenbank. The Hilton Mine is one fo the few locations in the North Pennines where fluorite and Baryte occur in the same orebody.

F272.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite on Barite
 Locality:
Hilton Mine, Scordale, Hilton, North Pennines Orefield, former Westmorland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 13x9x7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  23971 Time(s)

F272.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 06:05    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Okay, if you insist!
Yes, we insist!!! ;)

What a wonderful aesthetic specimen, Jesse, perfectly balanced and in an impressive size. Great!

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: May 05, 2016 15:40    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

A nice hematite-stained calcite twin from the West Cumbrian Iron Ore Field.

C068-9386r.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 7x6x6 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  22078 Time(s)

C068-9386r.JPG

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 05, 2016 17:46    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Jesse, there are many locations along the boundary between the barium and fluorite zones that have both minerals together although they don't produce much in the way of specimen material which is probably why they are not that well known. Once you get down into the Askrigg block the association is very common. A couple of weeks ago I was collecting some very nice cockscomb Baryte clusters on fluorite with a secondary growth of small fluorites on the Baryte blades. I'm sure you're as aware as I am that a lot of rare/uncommon material is only so because nobody has bothered to publish a paper on it. Some of us just like digging holes and hitting rocks with a big hammer!

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: May 05, 2016 18:54    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

I've seen plenty of fluorite-Baryte combos from North Yorkshire - Coldstones Quarry, Wetgrooves, etc. Weardale region's another story.

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 20, 2017 16:17    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Kidney ore hematite from Kelton Fell mine, Kirkland, Cumbria. This mine was worked in the Ordovician rocks of the Lake District and not the carboniferous where most of Cumbria's hematite came from.

kidleykelto2.JPG
 Mineral: Hematite
 Locality:
Kelton Fell Mine, Kirkland, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 6cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20206 Time(s)

kidleykelto2.JPG

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 21, 2017 17:13    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Another kidney ore, this time from New Parkside mine, Frizington. This is from the shaft dump of pit no. 7.

kidleyfriz3.JPG
 Mineral: Hematite
 Locality:
New Parkside Mines, Pit No 7, Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 9cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20148 Time(s)

kidleyfriz3.JPG

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 21, 2017 17:23    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

A thumbnail Hilton fluorite showing the 'Hilton blue' line just below the surface. This one is from the flats on Dowscar High Level.

TNhilton.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 2.5cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20180 Time(s)

TNhilton.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 21, 2017 17:27    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Interesting edge-modification on this fluorite crystal from Birkett Common. It is approx. 6mm and associated with all sorts of other stuff !

fothergill2.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Birkett Common Mine, Mallerstang, North Pennines Orefield, former Westmorland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 6mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20137 Time(s)

fothergill2.JPG

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 15:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=57264#57264 colin robinson wrote:
Another kidney ore, this time from New Parkside mine, Frizington. This is from the shaft dump of pit no. 7.

Could I ask that when I add a picture with the location that the location is not altered to fit what might be in the database. New Parkside mine was a separate entity from Parkside mine and worked a different orebody.

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 15:57    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Jackstraw cerussite crystals to 1cm from Barrow mina, Braithwaite, Cumbria.

barrowcerus.jpg
 Mineral: Cerussite
 Locality:
Barrow Mine, Braithwaite District, North Pennines Orefield, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 8cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20027 Time(s)

barrowcerus.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Double-terminated baryte crystals to 2cm with calcite from Frizington Parks mine.

bartcal.JPG
 Mineral: Baryte on Calcite
 Locality:
Frizington Parks (Iron Ore), Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 2cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20003 Time(s)

bartcal.JPG

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 24, 2017 16:08    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Prismatic baryte crystals to 12mm from Kinniside mine.

baryte2.jpg
 Mineral: Baryte
 Locality:
Kinniside Mine, Cleator Moor, Copeland, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 12mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19960 Time(s)

baryte2.jpg

colin robinson

PostPosted: May 26, 2017 16:25    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

Calcite crystals with hematite inclusions from Lonsdale Mine, Frizington.

lonsdalong.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Lonsdale Mine, Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 8cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19750 Time(s)

lonsdalong.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 28, 2017 13:16    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / Cumbria  

colin robinson wrote:
In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=57264#57264 colin robinson wrote:
Could I ask that when I add a picture with the location that the location is not altered to fit what might be in the database. New Parkside mine was a separate entity from Parkside mine and worked a different orebody.

Fixed Colin, thanks for the warning. We had many new localities on the last days and we were a little bit overwhelmed...

BTW, we have a section: Improving the FMF Data Base of localities where everyone can suggest changes or report errors in our localities.

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 6 of 8
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: