We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:07

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 04:34    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Two specimens from famous mines in Durham:

BlackdeneGAL.JPG
 Mineral: Galena, fluorite, calcite, chalcopyrite
 Locality:
Blackdene Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size 6,5 cm, large galena crystal 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28981 Time(s)

BlackdeneGAL.JPG

RogerleyI.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: Specimen size 9 cm, largest crystal 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29024 Time(s)

RogerleyI.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2016 14:29    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

A nice twinned fluorite from the Boltsburn Mine showing well-developed internal color zones.

Boltsburn-9434r.JPG
 Locality:
Boltsburn Mine, Rookhope District, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 3x2.5x2.5 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  28526 Time(s)

Boltsburn-9434r.JPG

Philip Mostmans

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2016 05:40    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

That is really really nice!
New or old? ;-)

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2016 17:22    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Another from the Boltsburn Mine. A classic combination from the flats on the Boltsburn East vein, likely recovered circa 1920.

F380-9189r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Galena, and Siderite
 Locality:
Boltsburn Mine, Rookhope District, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 10x8x4 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  28302 Time(s)

F380-9189r.JPG

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2016 01:39    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Jesse

Thank you for re-starting these threads. I love Boltsburn-9434r.JPG

James

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2016 12:55    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

One of the big problems with older specimens from North Pennine Orefield in England is lack of specific location information. Mining in the areas of Weardale and Alston Moor has gone on for at least the past millennium, and maybe even back to Roman times, and mineral specimens have been collected as curiosities for at least the past several hundred years. Until recent years, specific location information rarely, if ever accompanied the specimens, and only general locations such as "Durham," "Weardale," "Alston Moor," or "Cumberland" were given.

Geography and political history have further confused matters. The majority of specimens (particularly fluorites) recovered in recent years have come from Weardale, which is in County Durham (not to be confused with the city of Durham). Alston Moor adjoins Weardale to the west, and was in Cumberland, a separate county now known as Cumbria, and also has a few notable fluorite localities. Adding to this, East Allendale, located in the county of Northumberland just to the north of Weardale and Alston Moor also has some notable fluorite localities. What we have is essentially a single geological province (or "orefield") which is covered by three separate (and often changing) political divisions.

Some of the older and more prolific mines such as the Boltsburn (in Weardale) and Rotherhope Fell (in Alston Moor) are fairly well documented in collections such as Arthur Russell's, which is now in the NHM, London. Familiarity with these collections as a reference can sometimes allow one to make educated guesses as to which mines older, poorly located specimens may have come from. For specimens recovered prior to the early to mid 20th century time frame of these collections it is often impossible, and one must be satisfied with a general location such as "Weardale."

Unfortunately, modern mineral collectors are often not satisfied with vague and imprecise locations, which leads many dealers (and collectors) to make less than educated guesses as to exact locations for many older specimens. Once this "guess" gets put on a specimen label it then becomes "fact" for subsequent owners whether it was correct or not.

A good example of this tendency is the specimen below. This specimen came identified simply as coming from "Cumberland." I have been told by a couple of "authorities" that it is either from the Frazer's Hush or alternately Rotherhope Fell mines. While the specimen resembles material known from both, the problem is that the specimen itself came from the Philadelphia Academy of Science collection and can be dated to sometime prior to 1860. The known finds at Rotherhope Fell occurred around 1929-1930 and Frazer's Hush did not exist as a mine before around 1974 (the famous find of purple fluorite occurred in 1988). It could be from Weardale or it could be from Alston Moor. Without some compelling evidence, we're unlikely to be able to say more than that.

F279-2007.jpg
 Locality:
Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11x10x6 cm overall size
 Description:
The specimen is from the T. B. Wilson collection, acquired by the Philadelphia Academy of Science in 1860.
 Viewed:  28191 Time(s)

F279-2007.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2016 15:14    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Another old "Cumberland" specimen from the T. B. Wilson collection/Philadelphia Academy of Science. A nice specimen but I have little clue as to which mine it may have actually come from.

F277-2003.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite with Siderite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 8x7x6 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  28191 Time(s)

F277-2003.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: May 09, 2016 21:17    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

The Groverake Mine was a major ore producer during the latter part of the 20th century, but was not known for producing many specimens. This one's not half bad, however.

F291-8523r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Quartz
 Locality:
Groverake Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11x6x5 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  28013 Time(s)

F291-8523r.JPG

Groverake-Mar99br.jpg
 Mineral: _
 Locality:
Groverake Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
A photo of the Groverake Mine, taken March 1999, around the time of the mine's final closure. The site is currently in danger of being totally cleared.
 Viewed:  28000 Time(s)

Groverake-Mar99br.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 12, 2016 11:34    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
A photo of the Groverake Mine, taken March 1999, around the time of the mine's final closure. The site is currently in danger of being totally cleared.
A really good idea to add some photos and information about the localities of the minerals that are presented in our mineralogical trips, thanks Jesse!

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: May 19, 2016 10:30    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

What a fantastic suite of fluorites ; I love that; thank you for showing that

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: May 24, 2016 11:51    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

A small but very sharp fluorite twin, recently collected from the Boltsburn West level. The crystal shows well developed vicinal faces and numerous internal color bands. The second photo, taken in LWUV light reveals complex internal zoning.

Boltsburn-6602r.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 1.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  27705 Time(s)

Boltsburn-6602r.JPG

Boltsburn-9489r.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
photo of previous specimen, in long wave UV light.
 Viewed:  27722 Time(s)

Boltsburn-9489r.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: May 24, 2016 12:08    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
A small but very sharp fluorite twin, recently collected from the Boltsburn West level. The crystal shows well developed vicinal faces and numerous internal color bands. The second photo, taken in LWUV light reveals complex internal zoning.

Very cool specimen!

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2016 08:33    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Although I have seen many Rogerley Mine specimens over the years, this particular specimen is one of my favorite specimens from this locality in my collection. A small label attached to this specimen indicated that it was found in the Black Sheep Pocket zone, 2000.

Some background research on the mine and the specimen yielded some rather surprising information. Based on the year it was mined and its paragenesis, I believe the specimen to have come from the Greenbank Vein. I am providing Jesse Fisher’s description (from his website, but also from the January/February 2000 issue of Rocks and Minerals) of the paragenesis here:

“"... In vugs found in the Greenbank vein, the earliest mineral to form appears to have been one of the iron-bearing carbonates, which has since been oxidized to limonite. A pale green fluorite formed next, progressing to a pale yellow. A quartz druze was deposited on the surface of the yellow fluorite, which was then overgrown by a final layer of purple fluorite. A second generation of druzy quartz was the last phase to be deposited, and covers the euhedral purple fluorite within the pocket. This sequence of mineralization is not always complete, and appears to have ceased at the early "green" stage in some cavities.” (Fisher, 2000)

Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

References Cited:

Fisher, J., 2000, The Rogerley Mine, Weardale, County Durham, England: Rocks & Minerals, v. 75 (1), p. 54-61.

JKB396, Quartz on Fluorite, Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Co., Durham, England, UK.JPG
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 6.5 cm x 7 cm
 Description:
Large cabinet specimen of druzy quartz over purple fluorite. From the Black Sheep Pocket, 2000.
 Viewed:  27695 Time(s)

JKB396, Quartz on Fluorite, Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Co., Durham, England, UK.JPG

JKB396, Quartz on Fluorite, Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Co., Durham, England, United Kingdom.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 6.5 cm x 7 cm
 Description:
Large cabinet specimen of druzy quartz over purple fluorite. From the Black Sheep Pocket, 2000. This photograph shows a cross section of the paragenesis of the specimen.
 Viewed:  27549 Time(s)

JKB396, Quartz on Fluorite, Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Co., Durham, England, United Kingdom.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2016 09:16    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Great, and informative post! Nice specimen too. These Quartz/Fluorite combos are pretty rare from the Rogerley.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2016 11:32    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Yes, that specimen definitely came from a cavity on the Greenbank vein rather than the flats, which produce the green fluorite. During our first year at the mine (1999) we discovered a fairly large, pipe-like cavity on the vein near the far end of Lindsay and Mick's tunnel, about 50 feet (15 meters) past the entrance to the Black Sheep pocket. This cavity was named "The Weasel Pocket" because when we found it, the cavity was inhabited by a small creature, likely a stoat. The pocket was collected over the course of two years, and yielded some interesting quartz-coated fluorite clusters. Here is one that I've kept for myself.

F111br.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite and Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 10x7x5 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  27431 Time(s)

F111br.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2016 10:08    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Greetings to all from Weardale,
We are now finishing another summer season at the Rogerley (our 18th year!), and it has not been our easiest year. Along with the usual problems of old equipment that breaks down and fluorite pockets that disappear without warning, we have now the problem of local authorities who are looking closely at what all mineral collectors are doing in the UK. Although I do not yet know the outcome of this, it has the potential to make collecting, at least on a commercial scale much more difficult and expensive to comply with new regulations. But regardless, we have had many good years here and found many good specimens. Here is one that we found this summer. Cheers!

IMG_3220r.jpg
 Mineral: fluorite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 12 cm across
 Description:
from the Bluebirds pocket zone, July 5, 2016.
 Viewed:  26039 Time(s)

IMG_3220r.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2016 14:12    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

The Heights Pasture Mine is a relatively small prospect on the Slitt vein, between the Heights Mine/Quarry and the Cambokeels Mine. It was worked for fluorspar between around 1905 - 1920. While photographing the specimen, I noticed that some of the crystals showed well-developed hexoctahedral corners on the cube. Modifications like this are uncommon, but not unknown on fluorite crystals from the Weardale region.

Heights-9577r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Galena
 Locality:
Heights Pasture Mine, Westgate, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 7x5x4 cm overall size
 Description:
 Viewed:  25475 Time(s)

Heights-9577r.JPG

Heights-9575r.JPG
 Locality:
Heights Pasture Mine, Westgate, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
Well-developed hexoctahedral corners on the cube.
 Viewed:  25481 Time(s)

Heights-9575r.JPG

Tony L. Potucek

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2016 10:03    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Those hexoctahedral corners are very interesting and pleasing, Jesse! We'll have to have a discussion about those in Tucson at my watering hole.

best regards, tlp

antoniopedro

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2016 10:38    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

Hello,

I upload one of my fluorite from Durham. The purple color is very shine... Greetings,

Antonio Pedro

Fluorite-Durham_England.jpg
 Locality:
County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
6x6x4 cm
 Viewed:  25371 Time(s)

Fluorite-Durham_England.jpg

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: May 11, 2017 13:41    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK - England / County Durham  

I drove back from a wedding in Baltimore and on my way home, I decided to make a pit stop and visit the Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The museum is well known for its outstanding exhibits of minerals, but one thing I was disappointed was the lack of specific provenance information for specimens. Often you find things like “Fluorite – England” or “Fluorite – Germany” or “Stilbite – India” without any other specific information.

While I was there I shot several pictures with my camera (since the museum doesn’t allow flash photography it was difficult to get good pictures) and with an IPad (I don’t own a smart phone).

One particular fluorite specimen stood out was this gemmy green fluorite, which was labeled as Weardale. It strongly resembles similar specimens from the Heights Mine, but that is just my personal opinion (Jesse Fisher knows more about English fluorites than me, so he probably could peg a more precise locality).

The measurements are a guess based on the photograph I took.

Fluorite, Weardale, Durham, England, Carnegie Museum of Natural History.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7 cm x 5 cm x 6.3 cm
 Description:
Transparent green fluorite with minor galena. Carnegie Museum of Natural History specimen.
 Viewed:  23303 Time(s)

Fluorite, Weardale, Durham, England, Carnegie Museum of Natural History.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the regions of the UK   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 6
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: