We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine

Index -> Exceptional finds

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Cornish

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 14:14    Post subject: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

Hi Everyone,

Crocoite!

What follows is a continuation of the adventure I had while recovering specimens from the Adelaide Mine’s, Red River Pocket!

During March and April of 2013, I was invited back to Tasmania to assist in the on-going recovery of world-class specimens of the exotic mineral species crocoite from an exceptional crystalline occurrence discovered by Adam Wright and Bruce Stark.

Specimen quality continues to improve as the deeper recesses of the pocket are accessed, especially specimens recovered from the pockets hanging wall.

If you've not read the original report detailing this discovery, I'd like to encourage you to do so by clicking the link below...

CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia

As ever, sincerely, I hope you enjoy! All the very best,

John
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 14:27    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

231.JPG
 Description:
This first photo, an amazing fantasy-land shot of brilliant orange crystalline forests, captures the spectacular occurrence of crocoite from the pocket’s hanging wall.
 Viewed:  61732 Time(s)

231.JPG

232.JPG
 Description:
Yay, back in Tasmania!

I hit the ground running and in no time, I was back in Zeehan.

Not wasting a second, it wasn’t long before I was back underground covering myself in a fresh coating of Adelaide Mine make-up.
 Viewed:  61713 Time(s)

232.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 14:47    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

233.JPG
 Description:
I had, at least as far as I was concerned, unwanted house guests sharing the place with me this time (please oh please tell me they weren’t there during my first visit!)… just not for long! This is a Huntsman spider (see… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider).

There were three waiting for me (new bait in the trap?) and let me tell you, when you catch one of these big buggers out of the corner of your eye creeping/stalking into the room around the door frame and crawling across the wall like some gargantuan nightmare juggernaut given flesh, you take notice!
 Viewed:  61619 Time(s)

233.JPG

234.JPG
 Description:
Bruisers, big bad boys!

Here’s one posing after being captured and released outside.
 Viewed:  61702 Time(s)

234.JPG

235.JPG
 Description:
Back at the mine…

Coming into the Red River pocket area…

Much of this space had originally been crystal-filled pocket during my first visit. With its treasures removed, it’s become a wonderfully open area perfect for working and for staging our gear and tools as we push onward.
 Viewed:  61681 Time(s)

235.JPG

236.JPG
 Description:
Then, there it was, the big beautiful bright-orange, glistening-glittering pocket that had set my heart all a’ flutter during my first visit.

And, it was happening again, my pulse thumping like war-drums!
 Viewed:  61680 Time(s)

236.JPG

237.JPG
 Description:
In this photo, I’ve focused on the timbered false-floor of the drift.

As above, so below, the pocket continues.

Confirming this, when collected, the rubble pile of the “floor” opens and black cavernous voids yawn beneath us. This same blockage is obvious above our heads too, offering clues as to its open nature there as well.
 Viewed:  61687 Time(s)

237.JPG

238.JPG
 Description:
Here is a close-up of the extraordinary cobbles accumulated above a pinch in the pocket. These jumbles of specimens are all loosely connected by inter-grown brilliant orange crystals of crocoite. With just a bit of pressure, spectacular specimens can be collected quite easily. The only concern, how the mass is going to react when a component of it is removed!

Slow and steady…
 Viewed:  61689 Time(s)

238.JPG

239.JPG
 Description:
Another angle offering more details.
 Viewed:  61716 Time(s)

239.JPG

240.JPG
 Description:
My favorite photo of the three, this one truly shows the incredible mind-blowing vision that is the interior of the Red River pocket!

Beautiful!
 Viewed:  61670 Time(s)

240.JPG

242.JPG
 Description:
Here’s a shot taken of a point a bit deeper into the pocket. The big crocoite covered boulder in the lower center of the photograph pinched between the pocket walls is over a meter long! This one will take some extra care to extract!
 Viewed:  61687 Time(s)

242.JPG

243.JPG
 Description:
Hanging wall on the right, foot wall on the left.

Much of the foot wall’s specimens had broken loose ages ago (the cobbles in the pocket) and the finest specimens we collect are those most typically associated with the hanging wall.
 Viewed:  61662 Time(s)

243.JPG

244.JPG
 Description:
Panning up higher into the pocket, another clot of pinched specimens can be seen approximately 2 meters above the drift floor awaiting our attentions in the upper center of the photograph.
 Viewed:  61674 Time(s)

244.JPG

245.JPG
 Description:
The top of the pinch.
 Viewed:  61720 Time(s)

245.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 15:03    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

246.JPG
 Description:
And above it, the pocket just goes and goes, meter after spectacular meter, deeper and deeper into the country rock.
 Viewed:  61690 Time(s)

246.JPG

248.JPG
 Description:
Looking almost vertically up into the pocket.

As far back as the camera illuminates, crystals can be seen sparkling on the pocket’s walls.
 Viewed:  61616 Time(s)

248.JPG

249.JPG
 Description:
Looking up almost vertically here. Note the width of the pocket at this point, about 30 cm wide.
 Viewed:  61691 Time(s)

249.JPG

250.JPG
 Description:
Another overhead shot. Note the vibrancy of color underground, fantastic!
 Viewed:  61702 Time(s)

250.JPG

251.JPG
 Description:
Time for a bit of collecting… two seconds later, it’s time for more flats!

This is fun collecting, no fuss, just smiles until your face hurts!
 Viewed:  61618 Time(s)

251.JPG

252.JPG
 Description:
Once we’d recovered some of the pockets smaller specimens, it was time to go after bigger prizes…

Bruce with the longest plate we’ve yet recovered from the Red River pocket.

Sadly, I do not have any photos of this specimen’s recovery… we had our hands full!
 Viewed:  61616 Time(s)

252.JPG

253.JPG
 Description:
Me with the long plate. It’s approximately a meter and a half long and was a bit of a bugger to recover, coming from off the hanging wall, from up high a couple of meters above the floor.
 Viewed:  61690 Time(s)

253.JPG

254.JPG
 Description:
One of the big to-do’s for this trip was having Bryan Swoboda visit to continue his excellent film documentation of the pocket.

This is, like me, Bryan’s second visit to the Adelaide Mine. As on his previous trip, Bryan was busy-busy-busy working to capture all of the excitement as it unfolded while we worked.
 Viewed:  61660 Time(s)

254.JPG

255.JPG
 Description:
One of the specimens Bryan focused on was this little beauty. As we sought to recover it from off of the pockets hanging wall, Bryan filmed Bruce and I in all our glory.

Bryan has posted a film to Youtube which documents this recovery…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0noXIhIGg&list=UUSIGYON34E_XN97bJAPqYuA&index=1
 Viewed:  61674 Time(s)

255.JPG

256.JPG
 Description:
Bryan looking for the perfect shot!
 Viewed:  61660 Time(s)

256.JPG

257.JPG
 Description:
Outside talking strategy. Adam on the right, Bruce at center with his back to us and Bryan on the left.
 Viewed:  61625 Time(s)

257.JPG

258.JPG
 Description:
The guys yukking it up, all smiles!
 Viewed:  61645 Time(s)

258.JPG

259.JPG
 Description:
Back inside the mine, Bruce and I had been working…

Collecting is fun, pushing back the mineralized foot wall, not so much!

It was tough, brutal work. But by doing it, we opened the pocket, developing a wider area to more comfortably and effectively work which additionally benefitted Bryan, allowing him more options for filming. This also created a fresh scar of barren drift on our left which creeped ever higher into the upper recesses of the Red River pocket.

In this angled, near-vertical view, the hanging wall is on the top of the photo.
 Viewed:  61684 Time(s)

259.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 15:19    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

260.JPG
 Description:
Enticing me to no-end, this spectacular column of 8 to 10 cm multi-hued crocoites overwhelmed me with its beauty and with its screaming and reckless taunting…

What a scary target!

Note the scars of barren rock all about the column, these mark areas where material had collapsed naturally at some point in the far distant past. These are the original locations for a percentage of the cobbles we’d been collecting from down lower in the pocket.

Also note the draped fence of stalactites on the hanging wall just before the column and stretching from the center of the photo over towards its right hand side. The stalactite just off center is magnificently perfect, those on its right show a bright orange scar at their tips where sections of falling foot wall had slid past, scuffing their terminations tragically.
 Viewed:  61601 Time(s)

260.JPG

261.JPG
 Description:
A close-up of the column, 30 cm wide at its narrowest point (where it rests against the pocket’s hanging wall) and in the upper right hand corner of the photo, of the tip of the pristine stalactite I’d mentioned in the previous photo’s caption.
 Viewed:  61631 Time(s)

261.JPG

262.JPG
 Description:
Wanting a better look, not to mention easier access, it was time to climb up into the area where the Red River pocket had been originally breached.
 Viewed:  61597 Time(s)

262.JPG

263.JPG
 Description:
In this photo I’ve climbed into the area above our main workings and am looking back towards the portal, this time from a sub-level approximately 4 meters above our main drift below. Prior to there being a drift below, the boys had been following a mineralized streak here. One which finally opened (and that spectacularly!) into the Red River pocket.
 Viewed:  61615 Time(s)

263.JPG

264.JPG
 Description:
Now, looking into the pocket. You can see the edge of the ladder for reference and then before and below, the pocket gapes.
 Viewed:  61662 Time(s)

264.JPG

265.JPG
 Description:
Still to be collected...

This is a great shot illustrating the variations of color and crystal size that can occur over a relatively short distance within the pocket.

On the hanging wall, this photo highlights a near meter long patch of neon-colored happiness!
 Viewed:  61625 Time(s)

265.JPG

266.JPG
 Description:
Further in, the pocket just keeps going. At least it appears so from below. The bridging of the foot and hanging walls in this photo is illusionary. Beyond this point (the column mentioned previously), the pocket swells and opens to its widest dimensions yet.

Also note the hefty back-cut on the foot wall below.
 Viewed:  61589 Time(s)

266.JPG

267.JPG
 Description:
Beyond the column, way back in the distance, meters away and calling like a siren, this 30 cm long (as I can see it) exquisite pristine stalactite of crocoites yet awaits.

When collected successfully, this will be one of the World’s finest crocoites specimens!
 Viewed:  61596 Time(s)

267.JPG

268.JPG
 Description:
A terrible attempt at a close-up of this incredible specimen.
 Viewed:  61560 Time(s)

268.JPG

269.JPG
 Description:
At this point, with so much candy exposed, I called Bruce to come take a look. Using another ladder, he soon poked-up from below at a point a meter or two ahead of me, taking advantage of the space we’d created by cutting back the foot wall.
 Viewed:  61485 Time(s)

269.JPG

271.JPG
 Description:
He seemed pleased!
 Viewed:  61554 Time(s)

271.JPG

272.JPG
 Description:
And why not…
 Viewed:  61623 Time(s)

272.JPG

273.JPG
 Description:
When this is…
 Viewed:  61540 Time(s)

273.JPG

274.JPG
 Description:
What’s ahead of you!
 Viewed:  61561 Time(s)

274.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 15:33    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

275.JPG
 Description:
Back outside, I was cruising the dump…
 Viewed:  61552 Time(s)

275.JPG

276.JPG
 Description:
A close-up.
 Viewed:  61564 Time(s)

276.JPG

277.JPG
 Description:
Just lying there…
 Viewed:  61568 Time(s)

277.JPG

278.JPG
 Description:
Nice, but they just didn’t…
 Viewed:  61487 Time(s)

278.JPG

279.JPG
 Description:
Make the cut.
 Viewed:  61514 Time(s)

279.JPG

280.JPG
 Description:
As we ponder, here are a couple of shots from about the camp…

Smoke from the chimney, the ground wet from the rain and the scene lit by the afternoon’s half-light.
 Viewed:  61570 Time(s)

280.JPG

281.JPG
 Description:
Me posed before a riotously lush background of primal greens and browns out the backyard.
 Viewed:  61539 Time(s)

281.JPG

282.JPG
 Description:
Oh so beautiful and brightly colored…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria
 Viewed:  61562 Time(s)

282.JPG

283.JPG
 Description:
While growing, they were incredibly prolific in some areas.
 Viewed:  61509 Time(s)

283.JPG

284.JPG
 Description:
A Tasmanian Angularity!

I thought this a neat collage of angles.
 Viewed:  61535 Time(s)

284.JPG

285.JPG
 Description:
As the days went by, Bruce and I worked away. Bryan and Adam both came and went and for us, life was pretty much routine.

How cool is this, routine = collecting a monster crocoite crystal pocket!!!

One day, while collecting cute little miniature to small cabinet-sized specimens from off of the hanging wall, Bruce and I got a BIG surprise!

It was completely unexpected too!

Bruce was working a batch of beautiful specimens loose with a small flat-bladed screwdriver. I was there assisting, catching everything that fell loose as the specimen was removed from off the wall. We’d been at this for awhile and really had things down when all of a sudden, everything changed!

Bruce set the screwdriver and gently pried like he had a dozen times before and just like that, with a sucking, puckering sound as it cracked free, a monstrous slab of crocoites came loose, one over a meter long and nearly half that wide!

Holy Estwing! We both backed right away, neither of us in a hurry to be standing underneath it!

Brainstorming, we concocted a plan and then calmly set to it.

First, Bruce measured the drift, then cut timbers to span the drift. Mocking these into place, Bruce next used custom-cut wooden wedges to secure the braces (Bruce called them “Toms”) one wall to the other. When placed, Bruce tested them thoroughly. They were 100% secure.

As usual, Bruce had executed a perfect job!
 Viewed:  61511 Time(s)

285.JPG

286.JPG
 Description:
Bruce looking up towards me where I watch from above, his early warning system if anything moved!
 Viewed:  61537 Time(s)

286.JPG

287.JPG
 Description:
The “Toms” in place, set directly beneath the big plate.
 Viewed:  61531 Time(s)

287.JPG

288.JPG
 Description:
This is a photo of the big plate while it was still on the wall.
 Viewed:  61528 Time(s)

288.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 15:49    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

289.JPG
 Description:
When we went for it, it took but a tiny bit of prying and the entire wall seemed to come down!

We did it slowly, but it just seemed to happen sooooo fast! One minute it’s on the wall, the next it’s on the boards rock solid!

289.JPG

290.JPG
 Description:
The hammer and my leg for scale.
 Viewed:  61517 Time(s)

290.JPG

291.JPG
 Description:
Here’s another view, this time from down below, from the back of the pocket, looking out towards the portal.
 Viewed:  61514 Time(s)

291.JPG

292.JPG
 Description:
Another view of the big plate.
 Viewed:  61527 Time(s)

292.JPG

293.JPG
 Description:
And more detail yet.
 Viewed:  61492 Time(s)

293.JPG

294.JPG
 Description:
Oh ya, did I mention the plate came free from 2 and a half meters above the floor of the drift… Fun!
 Viewed:  61535 Time(s)

294.JPG

295.JPG
 Description:
With everything solid on the boards and our picture taking done, we next set to constructing a ramp from the “Toms” down to the waiting wheelbarrow. It was slow and steady work, but moving carefully, we were able to bring the plate down without suffering any damage.
 Viewed:  61516 Time(s)

295.JPG

296.JPG
 Description:
Staged in the drift, waiting for its eventual loading at the end of the day for its trip into Zeehan.
 Viewed:  61512 Time(s)

296.JPG

298.JPG
 Description:
Loaded in the car.
 Viewed:  61513 Time(s)

298.JPG

299.JPG
 Description:
My foot for scale again. This is the single largest plate for width and length yet recovered from the Red River pocket!
 Viewed:  61490 Time(s)

299.JPG

300.JPG
 Description:
For some reason, and I think it was because of Bryan’s being there filming, I didn’t take a lot of photographs on this trip. That said, following is a random selection of specimens, all of them collected by Bruce and I during my stay.
 Viewed:  61510 Time(s)

300.JPG

301.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61500 Time(s)

301.JPG

302.JPG
 Description:

302.JPG

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2013 16:01    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

303.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61472 Time(s)

303.JPG

304.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61518 Time(s)

304.JPG

305.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61494 Time(s)

305.JPG

306.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61501 Time(s)

306.JPG

307.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61504 Time(s)

307.JPG

308.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61502 Time(s)

308.JPG

309.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61511 Time(s)

309.JPG

310.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  61501 Time(s)

310.JPG

311.JPG
 Description:
And then all too soon, that was it and I was making my last trip out of the mine, locking it as I went.
 Viewed:  61477 Time(s)

311.JPG

312.JPG
 Description:
Outside, the wheelbarrow will have to carry on without me once again.
 Viewed:  61530 Time(s)

312.JPG

313.JPG
 Description:
Adam, Bruce, words don’t come close, once again, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be a part of this grand adventure!

All the very best everyone. Until next time…

Take care,

John
 Viewed:  61559 Time(s)

313.JPG

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2013 01:21    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

Excellent post John!!!! Just reading the post takes me back to being there with you lads. What a treat indeed!! Here's to the future mate!

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2013 01:25    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

CrocoiteWall.jpg
 Description:
Here's a favorite shot of mine. Looking down into the "Red River" of Crocoite.
 Viewed:  61272 Time(s)

CrocoiteWall.jpg

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2013 01:40    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

Here's the video link again, this time you can play it right in the window.

I love the way these two guys communicate throughout the entire process. This is not scripted and I did not tell them to fill the silence with conversation. This is their natural banter and I was just a fly on the wall.

John Cornish and Bruce Stark removing a fantastic Crocoite plate from the Adelaide Mine.

To see the video in the highest resolution, once the video starts playing, click the gear button at the bottom of the video screen and select 720p(HD).

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2013 08:36    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

What a wonderful documentary!!! Really great to see underground mining in such a famous mine - in HD :)

John Medici

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2013 23:40    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

John, thanks for the great, colorful post! Glad to see you're willing to travel a bit for some exciting field collecting.

John Cornish

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 08:14    Post subject: Re: 2013, an Update... CROCOITE! A Huge New Pocket From The Adelaide Mine  

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for the positive feedback and Bryan, thanks for the extra photo and video link, both are very much appreciated.

Jordi, thanks for hosting this on your site.

All the very best and fingers crosed for more grand times... for all of us!

Get out there and find some treasure!

Sincerely,

John

Index -> Exceptional finds   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: