We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 22:47

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Carles Millan
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 20:20    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Excellent copper Carles! Nice to see you on here.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 14:16    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Don Lum wrote:
Carles, That is a beautiful cluster of copper crystals from the Chino Mine. Congratulations

GneissWare wrote:
Excellent copper Carles! Nice to see you on here.

To Don and Bob:

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I'm very glad you like the copper.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2014 10:24    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Pyrite, quartz

Group of complex pyrite crystals, with a predominant octahedron habit and some faces showing striations. Partially covered with small crystals of quartz, on a matrix made of pyrite. Dimensions: 61 mm x 41 mm. Largest crystal size: 20 mm. Weight: 125 g.

Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru.

Pictured at the 2016 Grup Mineralògic Català calendar.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited and the image not modified. Creative Commons Attribution Licence - Some Rights Reserved.

My Personal Site

2793M-pyrite2.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite, quartz
 Locality:
Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 61 mm x 41 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  38309 Time(s)

2793M-pyrite2.jpg

2793M-pyrite1.jpg
 Locality:
Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru
 Description:
 Viewed:  38355 Time(s)

2793M-pyrite1.jpg

2793-pyrite3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Showing supposed Miller indices. If somebody disagrees please let me know. Might the {110} striated faces be composed by an alternated combination of cube {100} and pyritohedron {210} very narrow faces?
 Viewed:  38068 Time(s)

2793-pyrite3.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2014 11:18    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Beautiful specimen , Carles. The dominant crystal looks hoppered.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2014 11:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Don Lum wrote:
Beautiful specimen, Carles. The dominant crystal looks hoppered.

Thanks for your comments, Don. But such crystal is not hoppered at all. There is just a natural surface malformation, likely caused while growing.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2014 03:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

A wonderful specimen from Huanzala, Carles, far beyond the mass of common pyrites from that mine! The form and the growth structure of the main crystals are really amazing, and the contrast makes this one a really superb Peruvian specimen (I know your love for specimens from Peru and I can imagine how proud you are with this thing in your collection).

Not to mention the great photo quality (as usual) :-)

Tobi

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2014 09:04    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Tobi wrote:
A wonderful specimen from Huanzala, Carles, far beyond the mass of common pyrites from that mine! The form and the growth structure of the main crystals are really amazing, and the contrast makes this one a really superb Peruvian specimen (I know your love for specimens from Peru and I can imagine how proud you are with this thing in your collection).Not to mention the great photo quality (as usual) :-)Tobi

Tobi, many thanks for your kind compliments.

Great photo quality? Right, but it's not my merit. It's the specimen's, which is highly photogenic (unlike many others). Shooting such pieces is a pleasure.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2014 09:22    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Carles Millan wrote:
Don Lum wrote:
Beautiful specimen, Carles. The dominant crystal looks hoppered.
Thanks for your comments, Don. But such crystal is not hoppered at all. Just a natural surface malformation, likely caused while growing.

The Museo Andres Del Castillo in Lima/Peru hosts some spectacular Huanzala (massive) pieces featuring the same natural malformation as the ones shown in Carles' beautiful specimen.
If you are visiting the area, don't miss it.
Gérard

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2014 09:37    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan - Scheelite  

Scheelite, magnetite

Single nearly white color bipyramidal scheelite crystal, showing several secondary faces, perched on a matrix of rhombododecahedral {110} magnetite. Overall size: 67 mm x 56 mm. Scheelite crystal size: 30.0 mm tall, 18.5 mm wide. Weight: 170 g.

Huanggang Fe-Sn deposit (Huanggangliang Mine; Huanggang Mine), Hexigten Banner (Keshiketeng Co.), Ulanhad League (Chifeng Prefecture), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited and the image not modified. Creative Commons Attribution Licence - Some Rights Reserved.

My Personal Site

6668M-scheelite1.jpg
 Mineral: Scheelite, magnetite
 Locality:
Huanggang Mines, Hexigten Banner (Kèshíkèténg Qí), Chifeng (Ulanhad), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
 Dimensions: 67 mm x 56 mm. Scheelite crystal: 30.0 mm tall
 Description:
 Viewed:  37714 Time(s)

6668M-scheelite1.jpg

6668M-scheelite2.jpg
 Mineral: Scheelite, magnetite
 Locality:
Huanggang Mines, Hexigten Banner (Kèshíkèténg Qí), Chifeng (Ulanhad), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
 Dimensions: 67 mm x 56 mm. Scheelite crystal: 30.0 mm tall
 Description:
 Viewed:  37649 Time(s)

6668M-scheelite2.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2014 10:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Very nicely balanced specimen!

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2014 13:00    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Interesting scheelite Carles. I usually see the Mt. Xuebaoding or Yaogangxian scheelite but this is the first I have seen of the Huangangliang scheelite. Huangangliang sure does have the potential to be another Yaogangxian.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2014 08:48    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan - Fluorapatite  

Fluorapatite, quartz, siderite

Group of dark green fluorapatite crystals accompanied by several quartz crystals, siderite showing a tabular hexagonal habit, muscovite and calcite-dolomite. Overall size: 110mm x 72mm. Main fluorapatite crystal size: 30mm wide, 12mm tall. Main quartz crystal size: 41mm tall, 17mm wide. Weight: 399g.

Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal.

7246M-apatite2.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorapatite, quartz, siderite, muscovite and calcite-dolomite
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 110mm x 72mm. Main fluorapatite crystal size: 30mm wide, 12mm tall. Main quartz crystal size: 41mm tall, 17mm wide
 Description:
 Viewed:  37154 Time(s)

7246M-apatite2.jpg

7246M-apatite1.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorapatite, quartz, siderite, muscovite and calcite-dolomite
 Locality:
Minas da Panasqueira, Aldeia de São Francisco de Assis, Covilhã, Castelo Branco, Cova da Beira, Centro, Portugal
 Dimensions: 110mm x 72mm. Main fluorapatite crystal size: 30mm wide, 12mm tall. Main quartz crystal size: 41mm tall, 17mm wide
 Description:
 Viewed:  37171 Time(s)

7246M-apatite1.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2014 12:37    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

A fine specimen from a famous locality, Carles, as usual a good choice! And with (apatite) crystal sizes up to 3 cm this sample is really impressive, congratulations!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2014 05:20    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Tobi wrote:
A fine specimen from a famous locality, Carles, as usual a good choice! And with (apatite) crystal sizes up to 3 cm this sample is really impressive, congratulations!

Tobias, many thanks for your kind words. The specimen is much better in person, but unfortunately it must be classified as not photogenic.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2014 07:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Don't worry Carles, many years of collecting and photographing minerals taught me which minerals are easy to shoot and which are not, and shiny apatites are usually not among the easy ones. Though your photo may be not the best, one can see the quality of this wonderful Panasqueira specimen, and I do not doubt that it is even much better in person. Fluorapatite from Panasqueira is among the minerals that are on my wishlist for my own collection, thanks for inspiring me with this one ...

Tobi

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2014 20:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Carles I really like the well crystallized New Mexico copper. Thanks for sharing.

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

One of the better Huanzala pyrite specimens I've seen, not to mention the excellent photography. I've often had issues with photographing pyrite specimens, I always have trouble balancing the light intensity.

Thanks for posting this beautiful specimen Carles.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 05:14    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Joseph D'Oliveira wrote:
One of the better Huanzala pyrite specimens I've seen, not to mention the excellent photography. I've often had issues with photographing pyrite specimens, I always have trouble balancing the light intensity. Thanks for posting this beautiful specimen Carles.

Many thanks Joseph for your comments. A specimen such that pyrite may be succesfully photographed even by a six-year old.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 08:28    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Vitaliy wrote:
Carles I really like the well crystallized New Mexico copper. Thanks for sharing.

I'm very glad you like my copper. Thank you for your words.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2015 13:35    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan - Elmwood fluorite  

Fluorite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite

Group of deep purple translucent sharp cubic {100} fluorite crystals up to 17 mm on edge, with large lustrous sphalerite crystals and some chalcopyrite, perched on a limestone matrix. The fluorite crystals are complete on the backside too. Undamaged. Dimensions: 65 mm x 50 mm x 24 mm. Weight: 88 g. From the Steve Neely collection, Lebanon, Tennessee, USA.

Elmwood mine, Carthage, Central Tennessee Ba-F-Pb-Zn District, Smith Co., Tennessee, USA.

Another interesting fluorite and sphalerite specimen from Elmwood mine can be seen here.

My Personal Site

3193M-fluorite1.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite, sphalerite, chalcopyrite
 Locality:
Elmwood Mine, Carthage, Central Tennessee Ba-F-Pb-Zn District, Smith County, Tennessee, USA
 Dimensions: 65 mm x 50 mm x 24 mm. Largest fluorite crystal size: 17 mm on edge.
 Description:
 Viewed:  34765 Time(s)

3193M-fluorite1.jpg

3193M-fluorite2.jpg
 Locality:
Elmwood Mine, Carthage, Central Tennessee Ba-F-Pb-Zn District, Smith County, Tennessee, USA
 Dimensions: 65 mm x 50 mm x 24 mm. Largest fluorite crystal size: 17 mm on edge.
 Description:
 Viewed:  34664 Time(s)

3193M-fluorite2.jpg

3193M-fluorite3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  34649 Time(s)

3193M-fluorite3.jpg

3193M-fluorite4.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Specimen in sleeping position to have the sphalerite cluster exposed
 Viewed:  34645 Time(s)

3193M-fluorite4.jpg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 35 of 49
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next  

Jump to: