We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Fiebre Verde
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fiebre Verde

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2015 11:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:
Excellent Chivor pieces. My favourites have always been from Muzo or Chivor mine personally from Colombia.

Out of curiosity I was looking at the pricing for even small microcrystals on matrix from the localities and they range in hundreds of dollars for about a 5mm crystal to thousands of dollars for a 1cm+ crystal. That's pretty pricy and expensive.

I think it's more interesting that I can get an individual emerald crystal of the same size without matrix for 10x+ less expensive. I guess it shows how much matrix pieces add to the pricing.

Thanks Vitaliy.

As per your last comment, this does not come as a surprise.
Specimen extraction is not part of the mining culture in Colombia. This is not Sweet Home Mine in Colorado and specimen mining in the Colombian emerald districts is almost an undisclosed activity. The idea that cash flow can only be generated by cut stones is still very much anchored there. Matrix pieces market is a seller's market.

Gérard

Hi Gérard. It is a sad state of affairs, as often a crystal on matrix is pretty but not faceting grade due to flaws etc. In Zimbabwe (and I am sure in many other places), the same mentality reigns.

Hi Pierre,
You are spot on. In normal mining operations, quality crystals seldom survive in matrix.
Having said that, the situation is turning for the better these days as there is more demand from the market to mine for specimens and not just for crystals. There is money to make there as prices are on the rise for specimens too and some dealers (local and foreign) talk directly to the mine owners to "reserve" faceting grade crystals on matrix. If for some reasons these specimens do not sell quickly, crystals are just removed and faceted.
Sometimes these fine specimens are saved from their final fate and kept as trophies for years and years by the mine owners.
Gérard
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2015 14:28    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Chivor  

Unmistakably a Chivor specimen with on one face an aggregate of milky white calcite crystals and on the other face a (very) crumbly limestone matrix combined with a mixture of calcite and small crystallized nodules of pyrite.
Likewise, the emeralds crystals cannot be mistaken for a locality of the western belt. They are long, thin, pencil-shaped with a strong bluish caste.

IMG_9990.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald), Calcite, Pyrite
 Locality:
Chivor mining district, Municipio Chivor, Eastern Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 80x65x60mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31665 Time(s)

IMG_9990.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG
 Locality:
Chivor mining district, Municipio Chivor, Eastern Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Description:
 Viewed:  31704 Time(s)

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31704 Time(s)

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31751 Time(s)

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Detail - Rightmost emerald is 10mm long
 Description:
 Viewed:  31657 Time(s)

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=10mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31663 Time(s)

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=7mm
 Description:
Typical Chivor bluish caste
 Viewed:  31683 Time(s)

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Typical Chivor bluish caste
 Viewed:  31722 Time(s)

IMG_0071.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 08:53    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - La Pita  

A small emerald cluster atop of a black shale matrix coated with calcite crystals of various sizes and pyrite.

IMG_0275b.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald), Calcite, Pyrite, Dolomite
 Locality:
La Pita mining district, Municipio Maripí, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 85x70x60mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31675 Time(s)

IMG_0275b.JPG

IMG_0388b.JPG
 Locality:
La Pita mining district, Municipio Maripí, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 85x70x60mm
 Description:
Note the pyrite bedding on the host rock on the left-hand side.
 Viewed:  31666 Time(s)

IMG_0388b.JPG

IMG_0287b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=11mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31603 Time(s)

IMG_0287b.JPG

IMG_0318b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31643 Time(s)

IMG_0318b.JPG

IMG_0324b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31582 Time(s)

IMG_0324b.JPG

IMG_0379b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31619 Time(s)

IMG_0379b.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 14:44    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Coscuez  

Nice combination of white (large rhombs) and black calcite.
There is a little story behind this specimen.
It comes from a french dealer who used to display lots of fine Colombian minerals at the Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines mineral show (France). He would always have this specimen on display and for years and years I tried to convince him to sell it to me. But he was always reluctant because he wanted to pass on some of his treasures to his children.
Roger was well in years when I started collecting minerals.
When he passed away in 2009 I thought I would never had a chance to see that specimen again.
But life is full of surprise of course...

IMG_0466b.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald), Calcite
 Locality:
Coscuez mining district, Municipio San Pablo de Borbur, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 125x125x85mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31566 Time(s)

IMG_0466b.JPG

IMG_0489b.JPG
 Locality:
Coscuez mining district, Municipio San Pablo de Borbur, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 125x125x85mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31534 Time(s)

IMG_0489b.JPG

Martin Rich

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 22:17    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

The last specimen is very aesthetic for me with the black and white calcite & emerald.

Martin

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 05:57    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Martin Rich wrote:
The last specimen is very aesthetic for me with the black and white calcite & emerald.

Martin

Thanks for your comments Martin.

The grey and white combination is relatively common in Coscuez and La Pita but black and white is rare. The darkest tone of black (anthracite like) in combination with emerald is extremely rare and hence very much sought after. I have not seen pitch-black and white calcite in combination.
The tone of the black calcite of this specimen is actually closer to deep dark grey.

Sometimes I wonder what stops the local "make-up artists" from also enhancing the calcite color by turning the greyish ones into pitch-black. Or more mechanically, by gluing pitch-black calcite atop a white calcite specimen. Speaking of the devil...

Gérard

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2015 09:50    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Coscuez  

Matrix is a large white calcite rhomb (incomplete).
These large rhombs are mainly found in Coscuez and La Pita.

IMG_0546b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 62x50x45mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31347 Time(s)

IMG_0546b.JPG

IMG_0571b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31341 Time(s)

IMG_0571b.JPG

IMG_0568b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31350 Time(s)

IMG_0568b.JPG

IMG_0534b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31335 Time(s)

IMG_0534b.JPG

IMG_0557b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31344 Time(s)

IMG_0557b.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2015 08:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Chivor  

Another specimen from a spectacular find from the El Oriente "Corte" a couple of years ago.
Chivor emerald crystals are known to exhibit sometimes a deep bluish-green tone.
This is a perfect example of this feature. The crystal on the far right in the first image exhibits the most vivid tone by far.

IMG_0582b.JPG
 Locality:
Chivor mining district, El Oriente Mine, Municipio Chivor, Eastern Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 55x35x32mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31304 Time(s)

IMG_0582b.JPG

IMG_0596b.JPG
 Locality:
Chivor mining district, El Oriente Mine, Municipio Chivor, Eastern Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Description:
 Viewed:  31326 Time(s)

IMG_0596b.JPG

IMG_0608b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31320 Time(s)

IMG_0608b.JPG

IMG_0620c.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31279 Time(s)

IMG_0620c.JPG

IMG_0592b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Crystal on the left is 14mm long.
 Description:
 Viewed:  31364 Time(s)

IMG_0592b.JPG

IMG_0671b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=13mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31288 Time(s)

IMG_0671b.JPG

IMG_0698b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=13mm
 Description:
Termination has complex pyramidal forms. Looks like it's a mix of first order (top/left) and second order bipyramids (bottom/right).
 Viewed:  31286 Time(s)

IMG_0698b.JPG

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2015 14:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Great quality Emeralds on display there. Clusters are not common to find on the market as well. Usually single crystals are marketed on matrix.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2015 07:32    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Chivor  

Vitaliy wrote:
Great quality Emeralds on display there. Clusters are not common to find on the market as well. Usually single crystals are marketed on matrix.

Thanks Vitaliy.
Colombian aggregates and clusters are not that rare and could be found in virtually all localities. As for individual crystals, faceting grade aggregates and clusters seldom reach the specimen market.

Here is an interesting specimen from Chivor with 3 large separate crystals on matrix, very close to each other but looking quite different.(forms and colors).
Having this range of crystal diversity within a small specimen is not commonly observed.
Host rock is grey limestone coated with white calcite.

IMG_0775b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 52mm across
 Description:
 Viewed:  31111 Time(s)

IMG_0775b.JPG

IMG_0781b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31189 Time(s)

IMG_0781b.JPG

IMG_0940b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31176 Time(s)

IMG_0940b.JPG

IMG_0879b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Crystals are about 1cm long
 Description:
 Viewed:  31061 Time(s)

IMG_0879b.JPG

IMG_0887b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31103 Time(s)

IMG_0887b.JPG

IMG_0870b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31166 Time(s)

IMG_0870b.JPG

IMG_0796b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31136 Time(s)

IMG_0796b.JPG

IMG_0831b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31106 Time(s)

IMG_0831b.JPG

IMG_0980b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31142 Time(s)

IMG_0980b.JPG

IMG_0932b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31103 Time(s)

IMG_0932b.JPG

IMG_0814b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31108 Time(s)

IMG_0814b.JPG

IMG_0908b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31137 Time(s)

IMG_0908b.JPG

IMG_0862b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
Heavily corroded crystal
 Viewed:  31105 Time(s)

IMG_0862b.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2015 07:33    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

They're getting better and better, I'm really impressed by those incredibly good emerald specimens. Really awesome!!!

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2015 13:17    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Chivor  

Tobi wrote:
They're getting better and better, I'm really impressed by those incredibly good emerald specimens. Really awesome!!!

Many thanks Tobi! And that's not yet the end...

Although (very) modest, this Chivor specimen is a very good illustration of how Colombian emeralds are formed in hydrothermal veins (They look more like veinlets in this case).
Emeralds are disseminated in the veinlets as clusters, single crystals or crystal fragments.
Also note that the smaller veinlets only contain white calcite.
The rock hosting these emerald bearing veinlets is a grey limestone which is typical from Chivor.
Gerard

IMG_0765b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 70x45x60mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  31098 Time(s)

IMG_0765b.JPG

IMG_0761b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31077 Time(s)

IMG_0761b.JPG

IMG_0718b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  31025 Time(s)

IMG_0718b.JPG

IMG_0736b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Detail
 Description:
 Viewed:  31036 Time(s)

IMG_0736b.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2015 10:03    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - La Pita  

Large calcite scalenohedral crystals are often found in La Pita.
The scalenohedrons are well formed and color ranges from white to dark grey.
There is also a small quartz cluster perched atop a scalenohedron. In some of the images it acts as a prism which breaks the white light into the visible spectrum.
The emerald has a slight yellowish tone. Its prism faces are somehow corroded and partially coated with what seems to be calcite.
Host rock is black shale.

IMG_0999b.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald), Calcite, Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 60x45x52mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30861 Time(s)

IMG_0999b.JPG

IMG_1017b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Emerald crystal is 11mm long
 Description:
 Viewed:  30943 Time(s)

IMG_1017b.JPG

IMG_1098b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30876 Time(s)

IMG_1098b.JPG

IMG_1111b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30935 Time(s)

IMG_1111b.JPG

IMG_1120b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30837 Time(s)

IMG_1120b.JPG

IMG_1146b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30880 Time(s)

IMG_1146b.JPG

IMG_1204b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30851 Time(s)

IMG_1204b.JPG

IMG_1091b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30852 Time(s)

IMG_1091b.JPG

IMG_1058b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30864 Time(s)

IMG_1058b.JPG

Josele

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2015 13:04    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

What a lovely piece! Whimsical changes of saturation/conditions! A first crystallization of calcite (big dark crystals), then the emerald, then something dissolving the emerald (but not the calcite!), then more calcite (clear), and finally quartz. A very interesting sample.
Thanks for sharing these treasures and especially by the explanations.

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2015 15:51    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Gerard,
You have shown us many very nice emerald specimens in this thread, but of all the pieces that you have shown thus far, this last one is my favorite. As Josele said: a lovely specimen.
Michael

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2015 17:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Thanks Josele and Michael!.

Josele, I start suspecting that you have seen this specimen in person -:)
I couldn't have described it more accurately!

I am in the process of tidying up my collection and this specimen resurfaced recently.
At first I overlooked it as I was distracted by other pieces but as I begun to take pictures the specimen started to reveal its subtle balance.

Gerard

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2015 07:36    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Muzo  

Classic Muzo setting. Calcite and pyrite combine very nicely with the emerald.
Host rock is grey shale.

IMG_1370b.JPG
 Locality:
Muzo mining district, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 42x29x30mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30614 Time(s)

IMG_1370b.JPG

IMG_1397b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: xl=14mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30636 Time(s)

IMG_1397b.JPG

IMG_1424b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30623 Time(s)

IMG_1424b.JPG

IMG_1437b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30677 Time(s)

IMG_1437b.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2015 13:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - Muzo  

This crystal has a dark green tone but still clearer than Muzo's famous saturated dark green.
Host rock is black shale.

IMG_1450b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 28x51x49mm, xl=30mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30572 Time(s)

IMG_1450b.JPG

IMG_1456b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30576 Time(s)

IMG_1456b.JPG

IMG_1463b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30608 Time(s)

IMG_1463b.JPG

IMG_1499b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30572 Time(s)

IMG_1499b.JPG

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2015 06:14    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde - When green gets the blues  

I picked up this specimen from a dealer 10 years ago along with another piece from the same find, not just because of its overall aesthetic but also because I had never seen this "euclase blue-green" tone even in the bluest Chivor emerald. Nor had I seen such a finely striated emerald from any Colombian locality.
At that time I didn't know that I would never had a chance to see a Colombian beryl combining these features for the next 10 years.
No question that green is still the primary color but the blue cast is so intense that it makes me wonder if iron has not taken over chromium in this case.
There are 2 smaller crystals leaning against one of the faces of the main crystal.
Host rock is grey limestone.

IMG_1828b.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 40x42x42mm, xl=18mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30550 Time(s)

IMG_1828b.JPG

IMG_1835b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30440 Time(s)

IMG_1835b.JPG

IMG_1724b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30413 Time(s)

IMG_1724b.JPG

IMG_1822b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30394 Time(s)

IMG_1822b.JPG

IMG_1775b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30385 Time(s)

IMG_1775b.JPG

IMG_1742b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30451 Time(s)

IMG_1742b.JPG

IMG_1692b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30425 Time(s)

IMG_1692b.JPG

IMG_1863b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30389 Time(s)

IMG_1863b.JPG

IMG_1753b.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  30413 Time(s)

IMG_1753b.JPG

Josele

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2015 06:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Fiebre Verde  

Surprising, for color and striation almost looks like a Paraiba tourmaline!

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 5 of 38
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next  

Jump to: