We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 13:18

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Nurbo
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

nurbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2011 15:37    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

I just got some new world specimens,
Who doesnt love San Fracisco Mine Wulfenite's with Mimetite Inclusions? I do,
and a Calcite on Amethyst, sadly the locality for the Calcite is only given as "Minas Gerais" which as far as I know is very vague, given that Minas Gerais is the size of France. If any onlookers have seen this material before and know the actual mine it comes from please tell me.

Have any "CombineZ" users noticed that sometimes it mirrors the end of the image? It leads to some interesting accidents which I might post in due course.

rectangle_New-Out99999-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG
 Description:
Wulfenite Mimetite
San Francisco Mine ( Cerro Prieto Mine) Cerro Prieto, Curcurpe, Municipio de Curcupe, Mexico
Wulfenite measures 5mm across.
 Viewed:  32572 Time(s)

rectangle_New-Out99999-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG

rectangle_New-Out99993-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG
 Description:
Calcite on Amethyst
Minas Gerais
Calcite measures 35 mm.
 Viewed:  32577 Time(s)

rectangle_New-Out99993-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2011 17:06    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

A recent aquisition

DSCF3659.JPG
 Description:
Specularite with Quartz on Hematite.
West Cumberland Iron Ore Fields. Same ore body that is worked at the Florence Mine though this is from an unnamed mine several miles from that site. The ore body that was worked at Florence had over 400 mines and pits dug into it and this is from one of those.
Hematite measures 5mm across the top
 Viewed:  32526 Time(s)

DSCF3659.JPG

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 01:03    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Is there a reason why my posts keep having the spelling of HAEmatite changed to HEmatite? ? I always use the latin based spelling with HAE since thats how we spell it in England and its our language, I know the USA chooses to spell it Hematite and thats fine if your an American, but Im not. I always, without exception spell this word in the traditional manner that I was taught at school and find it bizarre that it should be edited into (What I consider) an incorrect spelling on a Spanish forum.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 05:20    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

nurbo wrote:

Is there a reason why my posts keep having the spelling of HAEmatite changed to HEmatite? ? I always use the latin based spelling with HAE since thats how we spell it in England and its our language, I know the USA chooses to spell it Hematite and thats fine if your an American, but Im not. I always, without exception spell this word in the traditional manner that I was taught at school and find it bizarre that it should be edited into (What I consider) an incorrect spelling on a Spanish forum. Since this post now has a reply I cannot edit it back either..

Good question Nurbo.

In order to normalize the names of the minerals it exist a comision, the IMA/CNMNC List of Mineral Names -> https://pubsites.uws.edu.au/ima-cnmnc/MINERALlist.pdf and the vast majority of sites and collectors follow that list. On that list the name for the iron(III) oxide is Hematite (on Spanish language: Hematites) and that's why I changed your Haematite to the normalized Hematite.

I do frequently this kind of revision also with other members, because is normal do some mistake when typing and I believe is useful have a common name for the same mineral species, instead few different names that could confuse people (specially considering that this Forum is international and many members are not so familiar with the English language)

Anyway, Nurbo this is your thread, if finally you prefer Haematite instead Hematite I will re-write all current "Hematite" to "Haematite".

Last thing: please consider that all your specimens are listed automatically in FMF Gallery -> https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?searchterms=&searchauthor=nurbo&level=search and as many people are using the search of the gallery to find specimens, if the name of your specimens return to "Haematite" and they search by the normalized word "Hematite" they don't will find them.

nurbo wrote:

...an incorrect spelling on a Spanish forum.

This is an English Forum Nurbo, the Spanish Forum (totally different) is this one -> https://www.foro-minerales.com

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 06:36    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Jordi,
that explains it, to me the best thing about English is the way we have several different words for the same thing, odd ways of spelling things where the same letters can be pronounced completely differently depending on the word. and even one word meaning different things depending on the context, I tend to spell the way I was taught, dont get me wrong Im not against American's spelling thing's any way they feel like, if they want to leave the letter u out of words like colour and favour thats entirely their business, but I kind of get a bit angry when these adaptations are absorbed into the English spoken and written here in England, I see no reason why these things cant happily co-exist, when English spellings are lost due to the excessive amount of American television people watch here it creates among many, an animosity towards America, I do often hear people express very negative views about this matter. Im not that bothered but I do always spell Haematite in that way and always have which is why I noticed, I noticed it first with the unusual metasomatic replacement of Haematite after Calcite that I posted on the previous page but thought Id try to ignore it.
I understand that in an international environment there must be some kind of consensus on spelling and that for reasons way beyond my control this will always mean the American way will win out. If through spelling Haematite Hematite this provides any benefit within the operation of the forum then Im happy to spell it that way in title postings in future, though I will revert to what is in my mind the correct spelling in the accompanying message, I would suggest though that if this word is to be spelt this way then there are quite a number of other Haematites, in this collection thread that should also be changed to give continuity.
I thought this was an English language section of a Spanish website, .Im confused now, is the Spanish section a Spanish section of an English website or is this two distinct websites? Sorry if I seem pedantic but I have a hangover.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2011 11:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

nurbo wrote:

I thought this was an English language section of a Spanish website, .Im confused now, is the Spanish section a Spanish section of an English website or is this two distinct websites? Sorry if I seem pedantic but I have a hangover.

Two totally distinct websites. You are not member of the Spanish Forum as well as the members of the Spanish Forum are not members of the English Forum.
Even the URL (domains) are different: https://www.mineral-forum.com (English Forum) / https://www.foro-minerales.com (Spanish Forum)

I will rewrite all "Haematite" of your thread to "Hematite" ASAP. Thank you for the comprehension.

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2011 02:03    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Thanks Jordi,
I was recently lucky enough to get my hands on some more Florence Mine pieces so while were on the subject of Hematite and the West Cumberland Iron Ore field I thought itd be a good time to post some photo's.

DSCF3670.JPG
 Description:
Aragonite and Quartz on Hematite
Florence Mine, Egremont, Cumbria
Aragonites to 12 mm
 Viewed:  32415 Time(s)

DSCF3670.JPG

DSCF3666.JPG
 Description:
Fluorite on Hematite
Florence Mine, Egremont Cumbria.
FOV approx 30 mm
 Viewed:  32396 Time(s)

DSCF3666.JPG

DSCF3667.JPG
 Description:
Eisenkiesel on Hematite
Florence Mine, Egremont, Cumbria.
FOV approx 35 mm
 Viewed:  32394 Time(s)

DSCF3667.JPG

DSCF3671.JPG
 Description:
Aragonite on Hematite
Florence Mine Egremont Cumbria.
12 cm across
 Viewed:  32371 Time(s)

DSCF3671.JPG

DSCF3693.JPG
 Description:
Calcite on Hematite
West Cumberland Iron Ore Fields
FOV 50mm
 Viewed:  32354 Time(s)

DSCF3693.JPG

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2011 01:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Here is a really excellent Baryte on Hematite from the Florence Mine, the Baryte measures 35 mm,
Next is another of my Vanadinites, this one from the T West mine in Mibladen.
I mentioned recently about the strange mirroring of the edges of photos when using combinez, heres a Calcite on Harmotome from Strontian with a mouse at the edge! personally I like it when things like this happen, Ive added a close up of the mouse too, Ive got several more of these strange accidents which Ill find and post in due course.
Finally for today a Gold on Quartz specimen from Ireland.

rectangle_New-Out99987-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG
 Description:
Baryte on Specularite on Hematite with Quartz and Eisenkiesel
Florence Mine, Egremont, Cumbria
12 cm's (Approx) Baryte to 35 mm.
 Viewed:  32218 Time(s)

rectangle_New-Out99987-Do Stack[1,0,1].JPG

DSCF3647.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
Mibladene, Upper Moulouya lead district, Midelt, Khénifra Province, Meknès-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
30 mm (Max dimension)
 Viewed:  32256 Time(s)

DSCF3647.JPG

stack with mouse.jpg
 Description:
Calcite on Harmotome
Strontian Mine, Strontian, Argyll, Scotland.
Calcite measures 10 mm.
 Viewed:  32202 Time(s)

stack with  mouse.jpg

mouse.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
Strontian Mine, Strontian, Argyll, Scotland.
Calcite measures 10 mm.

Close up of the "Mouse" formed by a glitch in the combinez stacking software.
 Viewed:  32223 Time(s)

mouse.JPG

DSCF2100.JPG
 Description:
Gold on Quartz
B Vein, Leccanvey Prospect, Croagh Patrick, Co Mayo, Northern Ireland
30 mm tall.
 Viewed:  32273 Time(s)

DSCF2100.JPG

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2011 02:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Heres a nice Malachite I was lucky enough to bag recently.

malachite congo.JPG
 Description:
Malachite
Star of the Congo mine, Democratic Republic of Congo.
8 cm long
 Viewed:  32128 Time(s)

malachite congo.JPG

malachite congo (3).JPG
 Description:
Malachite
Star of the Congo Mine
FOV approx 60 mm
 Viewed:  32112 Time(s)

malachite congo (3).JPG

stack.jpg
 Description:
Malachite
Star of the Congo Mine
FOV approx 25 mm
 Viewed:  32088 Time(s)

stack.jpg

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 17:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hello,
in my post of Augost 2nd I stated that the specimen was a "Really excellent Aragonite" I based this on what Gilbert told me but actually it turns out to be Baryte could one of the mofs adjust the references to Aragonite on that piece to read Baryte please? A good friend who is very well informed on Northern Barytes pointed this out and he is right.
thanks
db

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 20, 2011 08:52    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

nurbo wrote:

...could one of the mofs adjust the references to Aragonite on that piece to read Baryte please?

Carles Millan already corrected it Nurbo.

BTW, I'm quite sure that the Vanadinite of the same post ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/files/dscf3647_642.jpg on https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=18875#18875) is not from T-West mine but from ACF Mine. Please check https://www.topminerals.info/index.php?searchterms=acf&searchauthor=-&level=search

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2011 00:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Jordi,
The guy this came from has been a mineral dealer since the 1970's and told me he had "Shifted flats and flats of Vanadinite from the T West mine", this was from one such flat, and came with a printed label maintaining it was from the T West mine. But I wasnt there when it was mined nor was my supplier so who knows. Maybe its another case of miners putting a different locality to help shift more material. Though I did see on Mindat that Vanadinite is the only mineral referenced at T West, though the photo gallery on there has only images of Aragonite and Gypsum,.As always, Im easy whichever way, change it to ACF if you like.
db

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2011 02:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Considering the doubt about the real mine I deleted T-West Mine but I don't replaced by another name. Mibladen is right for sure, as it is some possibility that this Vanadinite comes also from some other mine, shaft or hole of that area, probably better use the safer ;-)

Thanks for the understanding. The Vanadinites from T-West Mine are very characteristic, quite different of other Vanadinite from Mibladen (in fact T-West Mine is located close Midelt) and them are very easy to recognize. Your specimen don't seems to me match the typical shape of the T-West specimens.

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2011 16:01    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Jordi, that sounds interesting, got any photos for us so we can all see what you mean? I like unusual Vanadinites, heres a pretty lousy picture of one its an ex Richard Bell piece a green Vanadinite sphere coated in canary yellow Pyromorphite, its really small though measuring only around 2-3 mm across. the whole piece is approx 2cm tall, theres a green Vanadinite without the pyro round the other side too, its a real beauty so long as your happy to use microscopes and lenses, and I am :-)

DSCF3771.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite Pyromorphite
Belton Grain, Wanlockhead, Dumfrieshire, Scotland
Vanadinite approx 2-3mm
The Vanadinite that is covered in Pyromorphite
 Viewed:  31837 Time(s)

DSCF3771.JPG

DSCF3774.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
Belton Grain, Wanlockhead, Dumfrieshire, Scotland
Vanadinite to 2-3 mm
This one hasnt got the covering of Pyromorphite.
 Viewed:  31858 Time(s)

DSCF3774.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2011 16:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

nurbo wrote:

...got any photos for us so we can all see what you mean?

I will try

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 10:01    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

nurbo wrote:
...got any photos for us so we can all see what you mean?

Here it is. As you can see is really different! ;-)

Vanadinita-Twest 6 x 5.3 x 2.8.jpg
 Description:
Vanadinite
T-West Mine, Midelt, Khénifra, Morocco
6! x 5.3 x 2.8 cm.
Jordi Fabre private collection
Photo: Jordi Deusedes
 Viewed:  31752 Time(s)

Vanadinita-Twest 6 x 5.3 x 2.8.jpg

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 18:37    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Wow thanks Jordi, thats a spectacular piece/

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 02:20    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Intriguingly Jordi I have a piece very similar, Ive attached photos of it, on one side is a very nice rosette of Vanadinites (I posted this last year on page 6 of this thread) but this side looks like your T-West piece. Ive not tested the white mineral coating part of this piece but I believe it to be Gypsum for some reasonI cant remember, I think I saw a similar association from th ACF area on mindat or somewhere, any how the point being are both sides of these T-West pieces oddly skeletal looking or could my "Rosette" maybe be from T-West and not ACF as I previously thought?

vanadinite rosette (1).jpg
 Description:
Vanadinite
ACF area shafts, Mibladen, Midelt, Khénifra, Meknès-Tafilalet, Morocco ?
25mm (max dimension)
 Viewed:  31610 Time(s)

vanadinite rosette (1).jpg

vanadinite rosette.JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
25mm (max dimension)
 Viewed:  31640 Time(s)

vanadinite rosette.JPG

vanadinite rosette (2).JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
25mm (max dimension)
 Viewed:  31632 Time(s)

vanadinite rosette (2).JPG

vanadinite rosette (3).JPG
 Description:
Vanadinite
25mm (max dimension)
 Viewed:  31643 Time(s)

vanadinite rosette (3).JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2011 02:53    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Is some kind of manganese or iron oxide in the specimen, like the Hollandite from Taouz? some kind of very small black "tree"?

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011 01:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Jordi,
Ive looked the piece over very carefully and I can find no Manganese oxide on it anywhere..

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 8 of 21
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  

Jump to: