We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 16:05

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Nurbo
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

nurbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 28, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Ed,
Thats fine, theres really no bubble to burst with me, to me it truly is about the rocks, Im not too worried about what they are, Ive got what may to some be a fairly odd way of collecting, I dont label stuff, I keep all the labels in a drawer in a totally unorganised heap and I connnect no more value to a gnarly old dinged piece of quartz than I would to anything else. I basically I keep the whats and wheres in my head and mix everything up on my shelves, I must confess to feeling something of an ass when I keep being corrected when I post stuff but hey, I'll live.
Im a mathematician and one thing Ive learned through the years of maths study I did is, you always learn a lot more from getting stuff wrong than you ever do getting stuff right, each time a labels been wrong its sent me off to learn something I didnt know before, its one of the wonders of the Fabre forum, sometimes I feel like I should "Get serious" and research all my rocks and label them all etc, but it soon passes :-)
It puts into perspective how many dealers mislabel stuff though, I just believe whatever is written on the box and as can be seen often its wrong. the beryl in question came with the quartz I put up here as Jeremejevite and which Jordi kindly corrected me on.

Jeeps its late here in the UK so Im off now, Ill leave you with a local north english saying ..... The man who never made a mistake never made owt (owt = anything for anyone not aquainted with English slang)

db
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 28, 2009 19:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Yep, me too. That's what I used to do, just keep the labels in a box or drawer. Or at least I used to be able to do. Then one day I picked up a specimen, one that I had collected myself, and couldn't remember just exactly where it came from. Golconda Mine? The COD Mine? Golden Eagle? I simply couldn't remember. The years and all the rocks begin to run together after a while, and I simply couldn't keep everything straight. The simplest thing for you to do is to assign a number to the specimen, glue a small piece of paper with that number (or even use the mineral tack, that blue or grey stuff) to a small place on the back, somewhere unobtrusive, hidden from view. Then write that number on the back of the label. Good enough for now, you can make things more permanent later on, if you are so inclined.

I use a system whereby I put the year (say 09), then a specimen acquisition number, like 23. So there is a small piece of paper (or whatever) on the specimen that says 09-23. When I pick up the specimen 5 years from now, and strain myself trying to remember all the details of how and where and why, and how much and whomever, I can go to the envelope labelled 2009. That envelope holds all of the labels for the rocks that I bought in 2009. I go through it to #23, and voila! there's all the data for the piece. It's fast and easy, and hassle-free. Next year's envelope will be 2010, and I'll start with 10-1, then 10-2. I might even have to use the full year, 2010, because there are some older specimens in my collection that could have originated in 1910 or 1911, whenever, but the back of the label will have a little write-up, and the date of acquisition, all that stuff.

Best of all is to put a permanent label on the back of the specimen, the underneath of the matrix or wherever, and cover that label with clear fingernail polish. Then it's bombproof and semi-permanent. And remember this: the singlemost important thing to put on the specimen is the locality, the place of origin, where it came from. There will always be a clever person somewhere who will be able to identify the mineral, but the locality thereof, well, that is often another question entirely.

Part of this goes to my failing memory. Sometimes we have selective memory loss, like "Do I owe you money? I can't remember whether I do or not.". But the time will come when there's just too much mineralogical information on the drum, and something has to give somewhere. Best to do this simple thing now. I think you'll be glad you did it when you are at a later stage in life.

And that's it. I still have a blank envelope, full of old labels to go through, sort out which label goes with which specimen. Things I acquired early on, that I haven't yet curated. 20, 30-year old stuff. I'm kind of saving that for when I retire, but sometimes I look in there and think "Now where did that little cerrusite go, the one I paid $25 for? I think it was little, wasn't it? Or was it that reticulated one, the one that I traded off? I can't remember.". So I scratch my head, and put the label back in the envelope and hope to be able to work it out at a later date. Gotta have something to do when I decide to lay down my rockpick.

Keep 'em coming DB, we're all enjoying it.

Ed

nurbo

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 02:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi again,
Your probably right Ed, for now my memory is ok but sometimes I struggle to remember where I got stuff and when etc, especially since Im actually getting information I can trust from you guys on here. I dowloaded Carles Milan's freeware mineral database for this purpose but I havent had time to do it yet.

Here are a few more,
The Colorado Phenakites came from Ebay, about 4 years ago I was browsing and having a bit of a chuckle at some of the things on offer and how they could revolutionise my life when I saw this 1/2 pound of Mt Antero rough advertised for $25, I thought .. nothing to lose there and if I find one good Phenakite Ive got a bargain, it turned out it was the greatest bargain Ive ever had, I found Aquamarines, Pyrite, Quartz and in the region of about 600 tiny Phenakites and some Beryl's. Its kind of where my Phenakite obsession came into being. I have since sold enough to pay for it 10 times over and Ive still got hundreds of them left.

DSCF7542.JPG
 Description:
Phenakite on smoky quartz, Smoky quartz 6 x 2.5 mm Phenakite crystal about 1 mm Mt Antero Colorado.
 Viewed:  31245 Time(s)

DSCF7542.JPG

DSCF7532.JPG
 Description:
Colorado Phenakite, 5 x 4 mm Mt Antero Colorado
 Viewed:  31289 Time(s)

DSCF7532.JPG

DSCF7739.JPG
 Description:
Another burmese Phenakite, 6 x 2.5 mm
 Viewed:  31253 Time(s)

DSCF7739.JPG

chiastolites.JPG
 Description:
Andalusite var chiastolite, various localitites ruler for scale
 Viewed:  31340 Time(s)

chiastolites.JPG

DSCF7334.JPG
 Description:
Azurite on matrix Morenci Arizona specimen size 40 x 25 mm
 Viewed:  31293 Time(s)

DSCF7334.JPG

DSCF7359.JPG
 Description:
Septarian mudstone with ammonites, 70 x 50 mm, Field collected 2007 from The Caton Shales.
 Viewed:  31261 Time(s)

DSCF7359.JPG

DSCF7585.JPG
 Description:
Benitoite on natrolite matrix, Benitoite 12 x 11mm
 Viewed:  31257 Time(s)

DSCF7585.JPG

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 14:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

I do the same way regarding labels,but for the moment I'm young...and I remember...
It's interesting to try to find what things can be,and where they come from,but it's often difficult...

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 29, 2009 16:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Yeah well, try it with 30 or 40 more years of collecting under your belt parfaitelumiere. Some things you never forget, but when you have others that are similar in aspect, then they start to run together, difficult to keep separate, that's all. And it's just advice, doesn't need to be followed at all. I'm such a stickler for it because despite the fact that I am married to a mineral-collecting belly dancer, and she can hold her own in most mineral discussions, and she is familiar with most of the specimens in my collection, she still does not know all of the locality data for the specimens. No one does, so I'm working most assiduously on that at the moment. I used to be young and bulletproof myself, but the vagaries of age (well, maybe it's just the mileage) are creeping to the fore.

Keep on posting, we're enjoying all of it.

Ed

nurbo

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2009 18:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

I just got my hands on this Japan law cluster allegedly from Madagascar I was going to trim the broken one off the front, in the extreme left of the photo, but then I decided not to as its broken right down the twinning axis which seems pretty neat to me. It has some Calcite on it too.

DSCF7749.JPG
 Description:
Japan law quartz 75 x 50 x 40 mm, Locality given as Madagascar.
 Viewed:  31165 Time(s)

DSCF7749.JPG

DSCF7750.JPG
 Description:
Japan Law Twins
 Viewed:  31165 Time(s)

DSCF7750.JPG

DSCF7748.JPG
 Description:
Andradite var Topazolite 35 x 25 x 20 mm Stanley Butte, Graham County, Arizona
 Viewed:  31108 Time(s)

DSCF7748.JPG

nurbo

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2009 17:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

And so i was walking down this road, in the rain, in the somewhat grim northern town of Preston when I came across a fossil store, I wandered in for a look and found this in a drawer. The main crystal is 15 mm tall, the guy in the shop had no idea about it, he had to ask me what it was to fill the invoice in, it brightened up the day, best of all there were 3 of them, and it was priced at £6.99 (Less than $10) and covered in dust, even though it was in a drawer, so Im assuming it is a few years old, it looks like an ACF shaft one from Mibladen that I saw on mindat, can anyone confirm or correct this for me?
thanks

DSCF7844.JPG
 Description:
Vandinite crystal Main crystal 15 mm tall
 Viewed:  31046 Time(s)

DSCF7844.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2009 02:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Yes Nurbo, it looks as from ACF shaft. It could also be from Bouhlmaden (in Mibladen area too) but if its color is the same than the photo's color, then probably ACF shaft.

Jordi

nurbo

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2009 03:23    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Thanks Jordi,
The colour is maybe slightly deeper red than the photo suggests, it is so hard to get a 100% accurate photograph in terms of colour,. there is a tiny amount of black and white matrix attached to it also.

I found this wonderful inclusion/negative? in one of my Phenakites the other day, its a flower shaped group of interconnected tubes which look like they have a dusting of microcline inside them its in the top right hand corner of the photograph. I may yet try for a better photograph, but the crystal is only 5mm long and Im quite limited by the "Super macro" setting on my camera. How I wish I had one of those Carl Zeiss microscope photographing machines.

DSCF7860.JPG
 Description:
Phenakite Mogok 5 x 3 mm
 Viewed:  30973 Time(s)

DSCF7860.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2009 03:36    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

If deeper red then probably ACF shaft. The Bouhlmaden specimens usually are less red, more brownish, than the ACF ones (although the crystal size is bigger).

Jordi

nurbo

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Folks,
Another of my Phenakites, this one seems to have oxide staining within the internal cracks and a Rhodochrosite from Peru, there is a broken crystal on the bottom half of the specimen and Im wondering if I could get it off without leaving a chunk embedded on the matrix, its a tough call because one side's termination is superb the other is missing, Ive added a close up so you can see my dilemma.

DSCF7891.JPG
 Description:
Phenakite, Mogok, 6 x 4 mm
 Viewed:  30857 Time(s)

DSCF7891.JPG

DSCF7861.JPG
 Description:
Rhodochrosite and Quartz, Uchucchacua mine,Oyon province, Lima Dept, Peru,55 x 25 mm
 Viewed:  30883 Time(s)

DSCF7861.JPG

DSCF7862.JPG
 Description:
Rhodo close up, FOV 15 x 12 mm
 Viewed:  30830 Time(s)

DSCF7862.JPG

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2009 10:43    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

David,
I have prepared your specimen for swapping,but I have lost the mail with your address,can you send it once again at: myfurious200sx(at)yahoo(dot)fr?

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 13:54    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Here are some more that I finally got around to photographing,

p 1.JPG
 Description:
I bought this as Phenakite but I think its Goshenite,.Mogok Burma 15 x 3.5 x 3 mm
 Viewed:  30586 Time(s)

p 1.JPG

DSCF7383.JPG
 Description:
Green Quartz cluster Seriphos Greece 65 x 30 x 40 mm, another ugly beautiful specimen.
 Viewed:  30550 Time(s)

DSCF7383.JPG

DSCF8262.JPG
 Description:
Aragonite on matrix Im afraid i cant be more specfiic than Morocco as to the locality, Im hoping someone here will know better where it is from. 70 x 40 x 60 mm
 Viewed:  30569 Time(s)

DSCF8262.JPG

DSCF7892.JPG
 Description:
Phenakite with twin growing at 90 degrees, bit of a rubbish photo Im afraid Mogok Burma. 8 x 3 x 3 mm
 Viewed:  30566 Time(s)

DSCF7892.JPG

DSCF8086.JPG
 Description:
Cuprite altering to Malachite On Azurite from one angle you still make out the Cuprite under the Malachite crust Chessy-les-mines France 28 x 28 x 20 mm traded with Parfaitlumiere through this very forum.
 Viewed:  30530 Time(s)

DSCF8086.JPG

Gypsum.JPG
 Description:
Ramshorn Gypsum Boo Azzer Morocco, 75 x 50 x 40 mm. I love this specimen so much, Im trying to get some clear detail pictures which I will post when I get them right.
 Viewed:  30655 Time(s)

Gypsum.JPG

DSCF8131.JPG
 Description:
Topaz on Quartz Mogok Burma,45 x 18 x 15 mm, I love this its ugly beautiful and the Topazon the top looks like its upside down, or maybe its a DT with one side broken off, Ill try and get a close up and post it.
 Viewed:  30555 Time(s)

DSCF8131.JPG

Jim

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 14:51    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Nurbo,

Thanks for posting the new pics! Please keep them coming.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2009 18:10    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Nurbo,

The ramshorn Gypsum is not from Bou Azzer. As far as I know is from some place close Bou Beker. I can't remember the name of the place, sorry, when recovered I will let you know.

About the Aragonite (or Calcite) sorry again but I'm not familiar with it, I can't help you.

Jordi

nurbo

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2009 01:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Thanks Jordi, As always you are spot on, I just checked the label and it says Bou Bekker, Toussit, Morocco, I guess I got mixed up, I should have checked but thought Id rely on my memory, which used to work once. These ones I know where they are from for sure, .

DSCF8244.JPG
 Description:
Quartz cluster Alston Moor, 50 x 40 x 25 mm, Collected 2009.
 Viewed:  30409 Time(s)

DSCF8244.JPG

jkh;.JPG
 Description:
Strange radial Azurite on matrix, FOV 10 x 12 mm, Sykes Mine, Bowland Lancashire, Collected 2009.
 Viewed:  30429 Time(s)

jkh;.JPG

DSCF8315.JPG
 Description:
Cut and Polished Septarian mudstone, 270 x 125 mm, Roeburndale Lancashire, Collected 2005.
 Viewed:  30442 Time(s)

DSCF8315.JPG

DSCF8308.JPG
 Description:
Galena, Alston Moor, 60 x 50 x 30 mm, Collected 2009.
 Viewed:  30477 Time(s)

DSCF8308.JPG

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2009 03:45    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hello,
I got back from work yesterday low and behold my latest Burmese stuff had arrived. Time is short so I didnt get much of a chance to take good photos, we're all suffering "Ashes Fever" at the moment which Im sure Australian members will be aware of, for the rest of you who are unaware of what Im talking about, its the oldest rivalry in the wonderful game of Cricket. England are currently 1-0 up and looking good in the 3rd test, Just rubbing it in to any Australians out there :-), anyway on with the minerals. I got some nice little Phenakites on matrix and a whopping 40 mm mushroom Tourmaline. The supplier tells me the black cube's on it are Stibiotantalite, as always Im happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

DSCF8341.JPG
 Description:
Phenakite on Matrix 14 x 9 x 7 mm, Mogok Burma
 Viewed:  30335 Time(s)

DSCF8341.JPG

DSCF8339.JPG
 Description:
Schorl core 16 x 17 mm, Molo Quarter, Mogok, Burma
 Viewed:  30333 Time(s)

DSCF8339.JPG

black cube.JPG
 Description:
Stibiotantalite? 5 x 5 x 2 mm
 Viewed:  30341 Time(s)

black cube.JPG

DSCF8340.JPG
 Description:
Molo Mushroom tourmaline 40 x 39 x 33 mm
 Viewed:  30300 Time(s)

DSCF8340.JPG

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2009 07:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Nurbo,
Happy to see you like the Azurite
Today I bought a good phenakite on matrix,I didn't hope to find such a specimen....
No pic,but when I receive I put it on the forum to let you see.

nurbo

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2009 02:35    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

Hi Parfaitlumiere,

Oh yes, the azurite more than met my expectations, it is very beautiful.

Good news about the matrix Phenakite, they seem to be slightly easier to find these days, maybe because the "Metaphysical" market has taken a downward plunge and dealers are catering for those with more aesthetic sensibilities. For years, I only had 1 matrix Phenakite and though I searched I couldnt find any more, except for ones at ridiculous prices, in the last year Ive bought 4 and at fairly sensible prices too. I look forward to seeing yours posted on your collection thread.

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2009 02:49    Post subject: Re: Collection of Nurbo  

I'm looking forward to show it too!
I have put my jeremejevite on my gallery.
I have seen some good cerussite,from USA and Morocco,I'm waiting from sellers to answer my questions before buying.
I would like to replace mine from Idaho,because not good enough.
On a show I have missed a doubly terminated azurite twin,and in tn size,maybe I have made a mistake...

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 21
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next  

Jump to: