We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
In Memoriam - Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us

Index -> In Memoriam

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2015 12:31    Post subject: In Memoriam - Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us  

Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us on Friday, 2015-07-17 after a long and serious illness. He was the curator and director of the mineral collection of the Natural Museum of History in Vienna.

I met him long time ago during one of my trips to Romania, the best way I can describe him is: "He loved the Minerals".
Always enthusiastic, full of knowledge, the classic description of "erudite" is what came to my mind every time I have seen him.

Be happy in your paradise of rare minerals Gerhard.

Yours

Jordi
PS: the mineral Niedermayrite was named in his honor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niedermayrite

Gerhard Niedermayr.jpg
 Description:
His biography in the web page of the Naturhistoriches Museum Wien:
http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/en/research/mineralogy__petrography/history/today/gerhard_niedermayr
 Viewed:  16236 Time(s)

Gerhard Niedermayr.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2015 13:10    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us  

He was a fine man and a very good friend. He will be missed.

Peter

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2015 15:29    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us  

He was a real mineralogist and sharp enough to immediately jump on the 17 cm Viitaniemiite crystal on Lepidolite from Paprok, Afghanistan when he saw it, after at least one serious collector, who should have known better had passed (and for him it was coffee money!) ! As I recall the asking price was 4850 DM and I saw it after Gerhard had bought it.

He was an excellent curator, caring about the best of the Collection in Wien in the first place, exchanging after his own mind, i.e. never letting sharks in to rob the collection. He exchanged lively with those who had something very special for him.
I fondly remember when I donated two red flawless gem triplites from N Pakistan. He could thus have one cut and keep one rough, He was smiling not only with his whole face but entire body! He stuttered but... but these are selling for over ten thousand dollars of not even this size.... Well, it is just a rock ;)
He loved rare pegmatite minerals and those of gem quality a little extra.

He was such a nice and knowledgeable man and kindly asked me if I would ever consider parting with a butterfly twin golden calcite.

I pulled out one of two twins I had collected from a small pocket right behind the Butterfly Twin Pocket. One of the wings had grown against other crystals on the wall, it was freely growing off the small floor of that two hand sized pocket. I hope it is still in the Wien collection. I let him have it almost for free :)

He was such a sympathetic man and his face changed from the very serious to a huge smile.

He was a dear friend, someone I really had the highest admiration, respect for in the field of mineralogy and curation of a national collection.

He was for decades a treasure in the curatorial world. On a couple of occasions, just like Ole Johnssen of Copenhagen, he asked me to represent him at the Mineral Museum Professionals Meeting in Munchen and Tucson some 10-25 years back which was a great honor. He had so many others to ask, who lived and worked closer to him.

RIP in mineral and gem heaven. Although the golden calcite location is since years caved in by millions of tons, we shall not give up but we shall keep finding those rare gem quality oddities in the Hindukush, Karakorum Mountains Range Pegmatites and elsewhere.

Yours Swedish friend since the 1980s.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2015 13:04    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam - Dr. Gerhard Niedermayr left us  

hi to everybody!
I had the luck of knowing Dr.Niedermayr in Idar-Oberstein in 1992. I always remember him as a very good teacher about minerals and gemstones. His departure has shocked me a lot. Thank you very much indeed for everything, Dr. Niedermayr!
Riccardo Modanesi.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Index -> In Memoriam   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: