We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 21:00

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The other ten of the top twenty locations

Index -> Favourite Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 10:56    Post subject: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Here is a subjective list of the top ten mineral locations in the world.
https://wheretofindrocks.com/the-top-ten-mineral-localities-on-earth-or-so-we-feel/ (link normalized by FMF)
The author admits others could be proposed.
What are your nominations for the list?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 15:07    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

My personal top ten:

- Dal'negorsk, Far-Eastern Region, Russia
- Elmwood mine, Tennessee, USA
- Sweet Home Mine, Colorado, USA
- Beihilfe Mine, Saxony, Germany
- Huanggang Fe-Sn deposit, Inner Mongolia, China
- Mt Xuebaoding, Sichuan Province, China
- Erongo Mountains, Erongo Region, Namibia
- Pederneira Mine, Minas Gerais, Brazil
- Hunza Valley, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan
- The several mines of Weardale, Durham, England

Tobi

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 16:51    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

And only two from the USA, unlike the six (IIRC) in the original list.
Any other suggestions, people?

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 17:03    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Touissit and Mibladen, Morocco should be considered, as well as the Red Cloud mine, since other one species localities are starting to show up. Also, California gold localities like the Eagle's Next or Colorado Quartz should be considered. This is always an interesting exercise because of everyone's personal preferences. Without some basic guidelines each person's list is going to vary from the next.

For example, are we only going to consider localities that are mineralogically diverse and rich like Franklin, New Jersey and Tiger, Arizona but lacking in showy specimens like from Tsumeb. Does a locality have to produce multiple species to be considered or will a single species suffice.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 18:00    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Recommended readings:

Basic question No.1: Your favorite mineral species/families

Basic question No.2: Your favorite countries of origin

For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?

Reelgoodwoman

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2016 20:09    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Tom Mazanec wrote:

I guess it is relative like everything else. Some people look for quantity, quality, type, ease of finding, etc.

I like Ron Coleman Mining in Arkansas. My first trip yielded quality, quantity and ease if you are looking for quartz.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2016 00:46    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Reelgoodwoman wrote:
Tom Mazanec wrote:

I guess it is relative like everything else. Some people look for quantity, quality, type, ease of finding, etc.

I like Ron Coleman Mining in Arkansas. My first trip yielded quality, quantity and ease if you are looking for quartz.

Hi RGW. I suppose that is how it is for some of us. At this stage my list would only include African sites, and the way I feel now, I would be happy to only collect specimens from there for the rest of my life.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 17:12    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Going back to this topic, I wanted to share some related lists I prepared almost a decade ago. First, I want to say that I really enjoyed reading Phil Persson's column on "Top Ten Mineral Localities", and my thanks to Tom for linking it on this Forum too. Back in 2008, I had given a talk at the FM-TGMS symposium in Tucson on "What Is the Most 'Important' U.S. Mineral Locality?". I tried to do a semi-scientific analysis to reach an answer, by tallying the number of photographs of U.S. specimens that appeared in 10 prominent books about minerals published between 1963 to 2008, ranging from Paul Desautels' "The Mineral Kingdom", to "American Mineral Treasures" (the show theme that year) by Gloria Staebler et al. I was limiting myself just to U.S. localities for the purpose of that talk, and for the record, the U.S. specimen localities ranged from about 14 to 20 percent of the total localities represented in these books (not counting Gloria's, which was all U.S.). And since I was tallying specimen photographs in these books, obviously chosen for their aesthetic appeal, this kind of count was obviously going to favor the localities for beautiful crystallized specimens, as opposed to what Phil termed the "mineralogical rainforests". I was actually surprised at what came out on top in my "scientific" survey; here were my top 7 localities or districts:

1. California gold districts
2. Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan
3. Bisbee, Arizona
4. Sweet Home mine, Colorado
5. Pikes Peak area, Colorado
6. Pala district, California
7. Red Cloud mine, Arizona

I listed the "runners-up" too, and you can imagine what some of those were. I'm sure that as time goes by the localities that would be represented in such a list will change, as new localities come to prominence and older ones fade into history and lack of current specimen production.

And, the year before, in 2007, I had prepared a similar talk for a Colorado mineral society, that time on "What is the World's Greatest Mineral Locality?" I didn't do any rankings, but only mentioned some favorites... on my way to the main topic of that talk, which was my own "favorite" world mineral locality, and I think it is Phil's too; Franklin/Sterling Hill, New Jersey. But here are the world localities I mentioned in that presentation:

Tsumeb
Broken Hill, N.S.W.
Mont St-Hilaire
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Gilgit region, Pakistan
Shaba (Katanga), Congo
Khibiny and Lovozero, Kola Peninsula
Langban, Sweden
Franklin, New Jersey

I am pleased to observe that, of the 16 localities that appeared in my two lists, 7 were among Phil's "Top Ten". And as a footnote, I'm sure that Phil will be pleased that I included Langban among those I mentioned!

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2016 09:29    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

I have not "selected" my ten best localities, but leaning towards micros, I am somewhat surprised that no mention to the Clara mine (Germany) had surfaced already. Mindat mentions 453 mineral species and varieties described at this location, while its photographic archives include some 3530 photos of such mineralogical diversity.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2016 10:15    Post subject: Re: The other ten of the top twenty locations  

Vinoterapia wrote:
I am somewhat surprised that no mention to the Clara mine (Germany) had surfaced already. Mindat mentions 453 mineral species and varieties described at this location, while its photographic archives include some 3530 photos of such mineralogical diversity.
I have a reason why I did not mention it: From an aesthetic mineral collector's view, Clara Mine "only" offers fluorite (and not the best in the world) and Baryte (but this mineral doesn't interest me that much). There are other localities that produce(d) few species but really aesthetic ones (e.g. Elmwood Mine) or even places where many species in spectacular shape appear (e.g. Dalnegorsk). Clara Mine is rather a field of interest for those who collect systematically or who focus on classic German localities ...

Index -> Favourite Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: