We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 17, 2024 19:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2008 16:30    Post subject: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

This year the report on the Barcelona Show, Expominer, is so complex and interesting that honestly I can't afford to translate it all into English. The report of the Show generated an intense discussion between different collectors about not only the show, but also the actual status of mineralogy in Spain, in Europe, and in the world, as well as the position of vendors, customers and the relationship in Shows between jewelry and mineralogy.

That said I can't do much more than supply the links so that you can see this heated debate. If you can follow texts in the Spanish language, I'm sure that you will enjoy them a lot; otherwise, at least you have several images, just to have an idea about the last Expominer Show.

If by chance someone wishes to translate the main texts into English, I'm sure that it will be more than welcome for all English speakers, otherwise the Spanish text is there and so it will remain. If you are able to read it or to find someone who can help translating it for you, please do it, it is worth the effort. Please visit:

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1424

and

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2008 18:40    Post subject: Re: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

Those who read Italian might be interested in some related comments about the Verona show on the following Mindat thread: https://www.mindat.org/mesg-21-96530.html

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2008 18:49    Post subject: Re: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

I'm curious Alfredo, what is your opinion?

Jordi

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 18:44    Post subject: Re: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

Jordi, My opinion is a bit more optimistic than some of the other posters.

TOO MUCH JEWELLERY AND MYSTICAL HEALY-FEELY ROCKS AT MINERAL SHOWS! ....seems to be the principal complaint.... I class myself as a "serious" mineral collector, and I'm sure you think of yourself the same way, Jordi, and most everyone else who participates in this forum too, but why should we complain about the bead sellers and mystical scam artists? We all know that only a few thousand people are interested in minerals, while many millions are interested in decorating themselves with beads, so of course the pretty polished stuff has a much bigger market and attracts both more buyers and more sellers, and a few of those buyers will come to the show and be exposed to real minerals for the first time, which cannot be bad for us.
Furthermore, it is these "rubbish sellers" who enable the biggest mineral shows to exist. Without them, we would not be able to rent large venues and enjoy the international displays put on by shows like Tucson (TGMS), Denver and Munich. Limiting shows exclusively to "real mineral" dealers would mean that all mineral shows would be small shows, which certainly would not be able to pay foreign curators to come and display their treasures, which i find an important educational feature of the larger shows.
Other posters were complaining that with all the mystical rubbish and jewelery, they couldn't find enough interesting new minerals to buy. I haven't been to the Expominer or Verona shows, so I can not judge them, but I assume they have similar proportions of mineral and jewelery dealers as shows in the USA or Germany, i.e. the same "problem". If I may compare with Munich, if Munich has about 800 dealers, and only 50 of them sell "real" minerals, why should we complain? Regrettably I can buy only a minuscule fraction of the material 50 dealers bring, and I always see some new interesting material, and I always later read about new things in the show reports for those shows that I missed seeing myself. So when a person complains "I couldn't find anything new at the show" - I must conclude that he is either 1) blind; 2) not paying attention; or 3) is in the wrong hobby.
Some posters are complaining about "crazy" prices. Yes, of course some dealers have very high prices, others have reasonable prices... one must patiently shop around and compare, and don't buy from the greedy ones. If the rock you really desperately want to have has a "crazy" price on it, and it's the only one like it at the show, and nobody has a similar specimen for a cheaper price... well, that's a good reason for the high price, isn't it? It's hard to argue with the Law of Supply and Demand.
One or two posters were complaining about more personal issues, like squabbles with show organizing committees. Well, every human organization suffers from personal rivalries and disharmonies, not just mineral societies. Organizing a mineral show is not an easy task, and pleasing everybody is never possible. Personally I never want to take on such a thankless task, and I admire those who do. I would recommend to the complainers that they organize their own show and I wish them lots of success!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 19:03    Post subject: Re: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

I agree Alfredo. In fact I'm also optimistic, you can see this on my post (wrote on Spanish language): https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11882#11882 .
Curiously, I expressed there very similar ideas to yours....

Jordi

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2008 19:08    Post subject: Re: Expominer 2009 (Barcelona Show)  

Continuing what I was writing about in the previous post:
One or two people even complained about the vast horde of school children who bought great quantities of 50 cent minerals on Friday at Expominer. (Don't we sometimes hear the same grumbling from dealers at the TGMS show in Tucson?) To all the ambulatory fossils out there who are bothered by noisy children: Be helpful to the noisy brats! They are our future! Who will your offspring sell your collection to after you pass on to the happy mine dumps in the sky?
I don't want to give the impression that all the comments on the Spanish forum about the Expominer show were negative, far from it; I've only responded to the more negative comments. There were of course plenty of people who enjoyed the show, found new specimens to buy, met old friends... Humans are still social animals and there are friendly interactions at shows which would be much less personal if shows did not exist and we had to restrict our interaction with fellow collectors to the internet.

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: