We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:33

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr. (1925–2015)

Index -> In Memoriam

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Elise

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2016 14:43    Post subject: In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr." (1925–2015)  

I hope members will enjoy reading two tributes I wrote to Arthur Tracey Grant Jr. (1925–2015) which are now freely available online:

"In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr." (1925–2015). Rocks & Minerals, Vol.91, No.2, 189-190 https://www.rocksandminerals.org/Back%20Issues/2016/March-April%202016/grant-memoriam-full.html

and a much longer version of the above:

"Written in Stone: Remembering Master Faceter Art Grant." InColor Magazine, Vol. 24, pages 24-29
PDF: https://www.nordskip.com/2016_InColor_ArtGrant_web.pdf
(links normalized by FMF)

Best wishes,
Elise

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2016 15:49    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr." (1925–2015)  

Art was a great faceter, friend and gentleman of the first order. I will always cherish the stones I have that he cut and the years of friendship we shared. He could facet ANYTHING!!!

Elise

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2016 11:37    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr." (1925–2015)  

Hi Peter,

Thank you for adding to the Memoriam. I was invited to write the tribute for Rocks & Minerals magazine, but by the time I whittled down the manuscript it was still 6x the acceptable length for publication. I was so pleased when R&M Editor Marie Huizing and the Editors and Executive Director of InColor/ICA agreed to publish an abbreviated version in R&M and the long version in InColor (cross-referenced). The two magazines target different audiences and so the story reached more people than it might otherwise have.

I spent many hours and days interviewing friends and family, enough to fill many more pages – the toughest and most daunting part was how to weave it all together in such a way as to portray him accurately in the combined light which people held him (hopefully).

I'm very excited that the tribute is now open access so that a wider circle of friends, family and admirers may read it, but also so that more people will learn about the life and artistry of this remarkable man! I hope that this thread might grow with other voices to add to the story.

All best wishes,
Elise

Carl

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2016 13:41    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr." (1925–2015)  

Art got me started in this crazy, wonderful world of minerals 50 years ago this spring. "Mr. Grant" was my gym teacher (he was also my parents gym teacher), and he put a display of self-collected New York minerals in a display case at my school. Think Herkimers, "hexagonite", and Power's Farm tourmaline. I was ending 1st grade, and I was hooked.

Our tiny town of Hannibal, NY had a gem and mineral club that had a public show in the bus garage each summer. That summer Art let me help him set up his display at the show, and I have never lost the passion for minerals and gems that he instilled in me.

We became, and have always been, close friends. Many of the things I do for our "hobby" I do because of him; in honor of him. Thank you Art.

Carl Miller

Elise

PostPosted: May 01, 2016 13:32    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Arthur Tracey Grant Jr. (1925–2015)  

My friend Dr. Steve Chamberlain, Chairman of the Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, alerted me to an error in “Written in Stone: Remembering Master Faceter Art Grant" (InColor Magazine, Vol. 24, pages 24-29) regarding the caption for figure 2B on page 24, the 1,865 ct faceted twinned calcite from Balmat, New York:

“The rough for the large stone centered on a twin plane that is now in the Smithsonian (Fig. 2B) is the St. Joe #3 mine, not the #2 mine. I've confirmed this with George Robinson [Emeritus Curator of the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum and Professor in the Department of Geological Engineering and Sciences at Michigan Tech] and Bill deLorraine. We believe all the large faceted calcites from the Balmat Mining District came from the huge crystals of Iceland spar found in the #3 mine. Very few calcite crystals of any kind were found in the #2 mine.”

My source for the mine origin came from the Smithsonian which sent me the Chip Clark photo to use, as well as the Smithsonian catalog, both of which stated the St. Joe #2 mine. ( https://collections.nmnh.si.edu/search/ms/?irn=1000044 accessed 11/13/2015 ). I’ll alert the curator at the Smithsonian and I’ve added a correction in the Open Access PDF to the caption along with an endnote. I hope this correction filters down through everywhere; it is rare that a faceted gemstone has a confirmed origin and so it is important to update with an erratum to the tribute, as well as anywhere else this famous stone appears in print.

Link for the annotated PDF (same file name as above):
https://www.nordskip.com/2016_InColor_ArtGrant_web.pdf
(links normalized by FMF)

All best wishes,
Elise
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> In Memoriam   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: