We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)

Index -> In Memoriam

View previous topic :: View next topic  

MIM Museum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 10:12    Post subject: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Mineral collecting has lost one of its gentlemen with the passing of Adalberto Giazotto. As a fellow collector, I have always been impressed by the quality and size of the minerals he collected. His excellent book “Cristalli: l’ordine dal caos” has been one of my bibles ever since it was published. Actually I admit I borrowed from this book one of the central ideas around which I built the mim museum in my home town Beirut: “Unlike the biosphere, where species in danger of extinction can be brought back thanks to environmental protection, our mineral heritage is destroyed forever and cannot be reconstructed. Still another goal of this collection is to conserve mineral samples in the same way that works of art are conserved in museums.”

I was lucky to meet Adalberto once in April 2016 at his place near Pisa: Adalberto was the main architect of the Italian-French Virgo project that consists of a huge interferometer designed to detect the gravitational waves predicted by Einstein’s gravitation theory. And it happens that one of my passions is theoretical physics, and more particularly Einstein’s theory. As detecting these waves became the hot subject in 2015-2016 with the race between Virgo and its sister American project LIGO, I contacted Adalberto whom I knew from the mineral world and asked him theoretical questions about the detection principles. He answered by inviting me along with a friend of mine to Pisa, no less. There, he treated us royally during one full day, touring us personally despite his illness along the installation, inviting us at home for a delicious lunch prepared by his spouse, answering all possible questions about the Virgo project and concluding the day with a visit of his mythical mineral collection.
I formulated two wishes after this memorable day: (I) that Virgo would be the first to detect gravitational waves (this honor fell to LIGO in early 2016 and earned them the physics Nobel prize in 2017), and that (II) Adalberto and his spouse would visit the MIM Museum in Beirut to thank them for their marvelous hospitality. Unfortunately none of the wishes were fulfilled – such is life. But I am glad Adalberto witnessed the crowning of the work of his life as Virgo finally detected a wave in August 2017, just 3 months before he left us.

Rest in peace Adalberto, and thank you again for what you brought to the mineral and scientific worlds during your rich life.

Salim Edde

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:23    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

One of the worst issues of getting old is not only getting older but the people that are missing, and the list never decreases but it becomes longer and longer. When I look at the increasingly extensive list of names in the section In Memoriam I can't stop feeling more alone.

Adalberto was not just a name, it was also a presence. I met him many years ago at some Mineral Show with his tutor and great friend Ennio Prato. Both were extraordinarily kind and extraordinarily polite. Their names were linked to the "hunting" of the best pieces, when they were seen around it was known that a Show began.

Salim has already told us about its scientific aspect and I would like to talk about its human side now. He was a gentleman and was extraordinarily discreet, he did not seem to want to call attention to where he was, he seemed to have no ego…
A curious proof of this is that the only complete biography that can be found on line about him is this: Adalberto Giazotto. Is in Italian language and there is only versions in Portuguese and German language. That a personality as remarkable as Adalberto has this visibility says a lot about his refined character and his desire of not to attract attention.

There are certain names that make mineralogy bigger, starting with the writer Goethe as early as the XVIII century and continuing with a long series of great characters like Adalberto himself. They have made our hobby bigger, showing to the world "The Order of the Chaos" that Adalberto described so well.

Rest in peace Adalberto, the world and all us will be a little more chaotic without you.

Jordi
recommended reading: The Adalberto Giazotto Collection

Adalberto Giazotto in the Cristalli exhibit.jpg
 Description:
Adalberto Giazotto in 2009 front of his collection at the temporary exhibit "Cristalli" in the La Specola section of the Firenze University
 Viewed:  33253 Time(s)

Adalberto Giazotto in the Cristalli exhibit.jpg

Poster of the Cristalli Exhibit.jpg
 Description:
The Poster of the "Cristalli" exhibit

Photo: Quexigaal
 Viewed:  33200 Time(s)

Poster of the Cristalli Exhibit.jpg

The Cristalli Exhibit.jpg
 Description:
One of the Show cases of the "Cristalli" exhibit with the magnificent Sicilian Sulphurs of the Adalberto Giazotto collection
 Viewed:  33157 Time(s)

The Cristalli Exhibit.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:41    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Adalberto was a great person, very kind. I visited his collection when I was still in secondary school on holidays with my parents, he invited us and treated great, collection made incredible impression on me.
Years later I got chance to make interview with him to my magazine MINERALS - see attached.
Rest in peace!

minerals-3-net-21.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33150 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-21.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:42    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Page 2

minerals-3-net-22.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33167 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-22.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:43    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

page 3

minerals-3-net-23.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33166 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-23.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:44    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

page 4

minerals-3-net-24.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33181 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-24.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:45    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

page 5

minerals-3-net-25.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33171 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-25.jpg

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2017 13:46    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

page 6

minerals-3-net-26.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33141 Time(s)

minerals-3-net-26.jpg

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2017 06:00    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Hi,
What a sad news! I share the pain of his family and friends.
I had the chance to meet for the first time Adalberto Giazotto at the 38th Munich Show (2001).
During the 2002 Munich Show, I spoke to him more at length. My photos attest to it.
The cutout man is Roger Titeux, the famous French mineral-broker who also sold him splendid specimens of Brazil.
Right away, he spoke passionately about minerals.
On my old photo, we see him examining a wulfenite from M'Fouati, Brazzaville Congo, that I had presented.
Giazotto had presented a beautiful set of his collection in Munich in 2001, bringing together several showcases. His specimens are exceptional, of beauty and unexpected dimensions. His personality was in harmony with his minerals.
He invited me for a weekend in his second home in Tuscany but I did not go.
In the photo, we see part of the Roger Titeux’s profile, a famous French broker who had sold him several specimens.
Roger.

Giazotto-2373_R.jpg
 Description:
Adalberto Giazotto 1940-2017.
 Viewed:  32991 Time(s)

Giazotto-2373_R.jpg

Aigue0949bis_R.jpg
 Mineral: Aquamarine
 Description:
 Viewed:  32915 Time(s)

Aigue0949bis_R.jpg

Peter

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2017 09:36    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Thank you Salim for the notification.
Adalberto was for many years a dear friend with whom I would always spend time discussing several important issues and we had mutual ideas for the future of mineralogy and mineral collecting.

We must never take for granted that we will have our friends around for long, in any moment we can be in an accident or one of our friends, or sudden illness.

Communicate, visit, share while there is still time, I always very very much appreciated our discussions in mineralogy and other fields such as art, history, science.

I am already missing you my friend.

RIP

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2017 10:21    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

Hi to everybody!
I knew about the passing away of Adalberto last week and got so sad. Fully agree with everybody: it's a big big loss for us and for our world! We all miss him.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2017 04:21    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

I didn't know Adalberto Giazotto in person, but I know his collection which is one of the greatest and most valuable mineral collections in history. As some of you already said, it's sad how many legends of the mineral world have passed during the last years: Rock Currier, Bill Pinch, Erika Pohl-Ströher (former collector/owner and founder of the magnificent Terra Mineralia collection in Freiberg/Saxony), and now Mr. Giazotto :-(

The good thing is, that all of these passionate people collected something that will endure for a long, long time and that will always remind us and future generations how incredibly beautiful the world of minerals can be.

Rest in peace, collector of one of the world's greatest treasures.

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2018 14:41    Post subject: Re: In Memoriam: Adalberto Giazotto (1940-2017)  

I was in Florence this week end, and tried to see his collection.

It was impossible; no more in display at the Specola Museum or at the Pitti palace Museum

I hope that it is not stored anywhere far from public.

Index -> In Memoriam   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: