We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
21 Jul-00:23:01 Re: all the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Justin Hickok)
21 Jul-00:19:50 Re: glass or something else? (Justin Hickok)
20 Jul-21:47:30 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
20 Jul-21:35:47 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
20 Jul-21:23:43 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
20 Jul-16:14:13 Re: glass or something else? (Vic Rzonca)
20 Jul-14:12:47 The mizunaka collection - orthoclase (Am Mizunaka)
20 Jul-13:25:34 Re: all the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Peter Lemkin)
20 Jul-11:59:54 Re: glass or something else? (Justin Hickok)
20 Jul-11:09:23 Re: all the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Justin Hickok)
20 Jul-11:08:35 Re: all the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Justin Hickok)
20 Jul-00:28:07 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
20 Jul-00:20:30 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
20 Jul-00:02:38 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
19 Jul-15:40:28 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
18 Jul-16:00:11 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
18 Jul-10:27:54 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
17 Jul-14:00:44 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
17 Jul-13:38:16 Re: all the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Peter Lemkin)
17 Jul-11:37:24 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
17 Jul-10:20:42 Re: sainte marie-aux-mines show 2018 (Roger Warin)
17 Jul-08:53:53 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
17 Jul-07:39:08 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Pierre Joubert)
17 Jul-06:08:55 Re: collection of fiebre verde - chivor (#370) (Fiebre Verde)
17 Jul-05:50:56 All the diamonds one could fill your house with - and more - so near...yet so far..... (Peter Lemkin)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jul 21, 2018 12:37

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Please identify - rock with white inclusions

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

foreman

PostPosted: May 01, 2018 23:04    Post subject: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

The railroad in my local town(near Harrisburg, PA) has a town of dark gray rocks. A minority have white stone inclusions. The hardness is not as strong as the gray stone, but not soft either.

Doesn't appear to be like anything I've seen before. Any thoughts on what this might be?

Thanks

PICT0039.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1744 Time(s)

PICT0039.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

foreman

PostPosted: May 01, 2018 23:22    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

The gray appears to be limestone. Looking to ID the white

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 02, 2018 04:25    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

As you are a new user you can't be faulted for not being familiar with the "rules" which are probably more like guidelines. When submitting something like photos, it is standard practice to always provide as much information as possible, thereby greatly improving the prospects of getting meaningful responses. You are welcome to post identification requests about mineral specimens on FMF, but if you want us to help you there are a few tests you should do and information you should provide. It will help us a lot and you'll learn a lot as well:

1 - Read the Asking: "What is this? / Where is it from?" topic. It contains information about basic tests. These tests are very important in identifying a mineral. Without them, our guesses might be meaningless as different minerals look the same in photos. The motto is: the more accurate the information, the better the answer. And please do not neglect to state the locality where the specimen was found, this is a great help in suggesting an identification.

2 - Then, read A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips It contains posting tips and a few basic rules about FMF we invite you to follow. Regular members do this. In your doing it too, you'll quickly be considered as a member of our friendly community.

In case you need even more help you can use this fine web page from Minsocam.org, the Mineralogical Society of America.

Cheers

FMF Administrators' Team

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 02, 2018 06:16    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

Your poor quality photo appears to show a fine grained, relatively resistant limestone railroad ballast. Googling this shows a number of similar examples. Here in Indiana we have similar material. Jordi's ideas for testing are appropriate, but have limitations. Your example, while a non-crystalline limestone, is considered a rock as it has impurities and inclusions that most interest you. Putting the ballast in vinegar will show vigorous fizzing as it is a carbonate, but the inclusions, that you are interested in, will be lost as part of the overall vigorous fizzing.

Based just on your photo here are my thoughts. The basic ballast is limestone. The whitish inclusions most probably are silicified (quartz replaced) tiny bits of invertebrate fossil remains including crinoid stems, shells and other brachiopods etc. These bits are so small as to be largely unrecognizable. Most of these ballast limestones also include tiny flecks of shiny golden pyrite; if you examine a bucket load of pieces you might find a tiny fleck or two.

The other possibility is an evaporite mineral such as epsomite. When the host rock is totally and completely dry, the epsomite crystalizes as a whitish thin film on the surface. If the rock is wetted, the evaporite mineral immediately dissolves, only to reappear when the rock again totally dries out.

Only fresh ballast is the good example for testing and examination, as long standing ballast will get contaminated and darker due to being stained with oil and lubricant drippings from the many passing trains.

Hope this helps. BOB

foreman

PostPosted: May 05, 2018 17:48    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

Yes, I did scan the guidelines. I provided what information I could including my location, but as this rock was found in an area placed by man, and not natural from a dig, it's not too helpful.

Thanks for the info Bob. I did forget to mention this one was found by the Susquehanna river which runs parallel to the rail tracks.

I considered this may be white limestone, however the texture is completely different as is the hardness. The theory that this may be silicified fossil material is interesting. I broke some up and it crumbles into interesting shapes much unlike other minerals I've crushed..

I have yet to see pyrite or any other interesting inclusions in any of the limestone ballast.

I can mail a small sample if anyone is interested and can help identify. I can try to get a better picture of the crushed white material.

foreman

PostPosted: May 23, 2018 00:54    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

Found another specimen

PICT0086.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1104 Time(s)

PICT0086.JPG

foreman

PostPosted: May 25, 2018 20:21    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

A local mineral club member thinks the white is calcite.

crosstimber
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 26, 2018 10:08    Post subject: Re: Please identify - rock with white inclusions  

Hello Foreman,

A drop of vinegar or dilute hydrochloric acid will confirm whether this is calcite or something else. When exposed to the acid, calcite will react producing bubbles. A hardness test will also help. Calcite is relatively soft and can be easily scratched with a knife blade.

Michael

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: