We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Tobi
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 58, 59, 60  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2009 08:57    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

This one was a U.S. classic which i was searching for very long: Amazonite from Pikes Peak in Colorado, USA. Very rare to get in Germany, but now i finally got such a specimen :-) The overall size is 95 x 60 x 52 mm, the largest crystal is about 30 x 35 x 20 mm.

amaz.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45531 Time(s)

amaz.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2009 09:02    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Another German Fluorite from a classic locality: This one's from the Hermine Mine in Wölsendorf, Bavaria. From an older collection, overall size 115 x 70 x 45 mm, longest crystal edge 20 mm.

fluo_wöls.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45483 Time(s)

fluo_wöls.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2009 12:47    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

This is a green Fluorite from El Hamam, Morocco. What makes this specimen special (i'm sorry that the picture doesn't really show it) is the growth of purple Fluorite crystals inside the green ones. I don't know how to call this form of growth. Phantoms? Two generations? But it looks interesting ... well, nearly EVERY Fluorite in the world looks interesting ;-)

Overall size 85 x 60 x 35 mm, longest edge 23 mm.

hamam.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45426 Time(s)

hamam.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 08:25    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

I want to post two of my favourite Calcite specimens. First, here's one from the quarry near Landelies, Belgium. It has nearly transparent, yellow crystals up to 25 mm on white matrix, overall size 140 x 110 x 70 mm. Until i found this one on a mineral show some years ago, i had never heard of the beautiful Calcites from Landelies ... they are really nice :-)

belgien.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45322 Time(s)

belgien.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 08:31    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Nearly the same story is connected with this German Calcite: It's from a quarry near Rammelsbach, Palatinate. I didn't even know that this place existed until i saw this specimen on a mineral show. It has salmon-coloured crystals up to a lenght of 35 mm, overall size 145 x 120 x 85 mm.

pfalz.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45388 Time(s)

pfalz.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 09:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

This is a Halite specimen from a potash mine in Neuhof (eastern Hesse, exactly in the middle of Germany). The overall size is 200 x 80 x 60 mm, longest crystal edge is 13 mm.

halit.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45855 Time(s)

halit.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 10:06    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

An impressive cluster of Pyrite from the Huanzala Mine in Peru. Overall size 160 x 105 x 80 mm, longest crystal edge 50 mm.
I you want strong muscles, take this one for weightlifting ;-)

IMG_2662.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45292 Time(s)

IMG_2662.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 10:22    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

This is currently the centerpiece of my display collection and this specimen is connected with a question to those of you how have good knowledge of Madagascar minerals. I only know that it is from the Antananarivo province, but i would like to know the exact locality. I even talked to some fellow collectors here in Germany, but no one was able to tell me the exact locality, where these Milky Quartz specimens are mined in Madagascar.

Has anyone here an idea of where it's exactly from in Antananarivo province in Madagascar?

Overall size 170 x 155 x 100 mm, longest crystals are about 80 mm long.

IMG_2668.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45277 Time(s)

IMG_2668.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Hi Tobias!

I know almost nothing about Madagascar minerals. And I own a couple of zircons from this island that for many years I didn't know where they were from, I had no clue about their exact locality.

I was lucky enough, however, to have the chance to ask a great expert about Madagascar minerals, Mr. Laurent Thomas, thanks to the help of Gail Spann and Jordi Fabre, who made a valuable suggestion ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=466 ). If you could reach him (although I don't know how) it's very likely that you got an answer to your question.

Good luck!

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 12:49    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Hi Tobias,your Baryte specimen makes me really think of similar specimens found at Cabrières in Herault in France,I have one similar specimen,with pseudo of limonite after calchopyrite.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

I don't know how the Barytes from Cabrières look like - why don't you show it in your collection thread?

@Carles: Thank you!

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 06:46    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

In fact I have this specimen,but it's not in my collection,because of size,too big...
But when I looked ot yours from Germany,it has made me think of Cabrières!
I will take a shot to show it to you!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 07:12    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

The problem with the size, i know: I had another Baryte from Dreislar, with a size of 300 x 300 x 200 mm. And you know that Baryte is heavy ... It was just too big and to heavy for the display, so i sold it and kept the smaller one, which has much better quality than the giant specimen.

The next specimen from my collection is not really too big for a display ;-) A Pyrite twin in clay/marl (?) matrix from a quarry named Maibolte near Lemgo/North-Rhine-Westphalia. This kind of twin crystal is called Eisernes Kreuz (iron cross) in German. I don't know if this is analogue in other languages ...? The tiny Pyrite twin has a size of 5 mm, overall size of the specimen is 40 x 30 x 12 mm.

This Pyrites from Westphalia are a little bit similiar to the Spanish ones from Ambasaguas, aren't they? (Though the Spanish ones are often bigger, because these German ones are not often bigger than 6 or 7 mm ...).

lemgo.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45175 Time(s)

lemgo.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 07:29    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

The next specimen is a Magnetite from Cerro Huañaquino, Bolivia. I know that this material became quite common in the past years, but the most samples i see on shows are small and have even smaller crystals. This one has a few broken crystals, but it is covered over and over with other, intact crystals and it looks impressive because of its size: 155 x 120 x 40 mm, longest crystal egde 10 mm.

magnetit.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45271 Time(s)

magnetit.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

A small but aesthetic specimen of Schorl from from Baltistan, Pakistan. The crystal has a lenght of 10 mm, overall size of the specimen is 30 x 30 x 15 mm.

schorl.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45185 Time(s)

schorl.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 13:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

I think a collection photo thread is not complete without some pictures of the entire displays. Ed showed some wide shots of his displays, Gail did it before. I would like to see how your collections are arranged: How do your showcases look, where are they placed, which light do you use, how full are the displays^^

Here are some impressions from my collection: I have two 100 x 100 cm ash wood hanging displays, each one with four levels. First a wider shot of the two displays:

gesamt.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45171 Time(s)

gesamt.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 13:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

This is the left one, filled with Vanadinite, Garnets, Fluorites, Calcites and much more ...

vitrine1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45112 Time(s)

vitrine1.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2009 13:32    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

And the other one, including Indian Zeolites, Tourmalines, some iron ores and Quartz - and some more.

If you wonder about the open books on the bottom level: The front glass has a metal frame which disturbs the sight on this level. The minerals that is first placed there were not perfectly in sight, so i decided to fill this level with some bigger things. They even work as a kind of information table and they add a bit of "museum touch" to the displays ... ;-)

vitrine2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  45074 Time(s)

vitrine2.jpg

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 09:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Your collection is really well displayed,simply and well organised.
Do you think it coul be a good idea to put a black background or a mirror background?
I think a mirror will be difficult to cut and put on.
I think the black velvet can be easier.
That's just my idea.
For the moment my collection is in several boxes,with a place for each specimen,I will take photos,and add it to my own gallery,I think it's a good idea yo have had!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 09:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Thank you for your compliments :-)

To find the perfect background is really difficult. The problem is that each background "swallows" the minerals which have a similar colour. So there is no perfect solution :-/

I tried a white background when this displays were new. Result: White or colourless minerals (e.g. quartz, apophyllite, calcite, Baryte) were nearly "invisible".

This wooden background here makes for example yellow and brown minerals look much paler than they really are. The belgian calcite that i posted above has a real great yellow colour and looks nearly like a sicilian sulphur. But when the specimen stands in this display, it looks just pale yellow and quite boring.

And a black background? This could "swallow" minerals like magnetite, haematite oder dark fluorite. But if you choose a dark grey velvet, it could work. And a mirror ... i've never tried this, sorry. But i know it from other collections and - to be honest - i don't like it very much.

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 60
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 58, 59, 60  Next  

Jump to: