We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:01

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Tobi
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 15:10    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:
I'm glad not to be only one with this problem - but i knew before that i am not ;-) I remember Carles often telling me that he has really long sessions until he gets some of his specimens captured. Really comforting that you also know this problem ;-)

Tobias,

The explanation is quite simple. The procedure used by a camera to capture an image is radically different from the one used by our eyes. So nobody should expect to get a photo that is exactly equal to the image seen by him/her. I've even recently heard that the great Jeff Scovil declines to shot some specimens, especially those that are absolutely transparent.

Nature took about one thousand million years to develop the astonishing eye-retina-brain system through a slow evolution. How long ago was the photographic camera invented?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 18:39    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Carles Millan wrote:
Tobias Martin wrote:
I'm glad not to be only one with this problem - but i knew before that i am not ;-) I remember Carles often telling me that he has really long sessions until he gets some of his specimens captured. Really comforting that you also know this problem ;-)

Tobias,

The explanation is quite simple. The procedure used by a camera to capture an image is radically different from the one used by our eyes. So nobody should expect to get a photo that is exactly equal to the image seen by him/her. I've even recently heard that the great Jeff Scovil declines to shot some specimens, especially those that are absolutely transparent.

Nature took about one thousand million years to create the astonishing eye-retina-brain system through a slow evolution. How long ago was the photographic camera invented?

Hi Carles and Tobias:

Just thought I would let you know about resolution, but I will keep the physics to a minimum. The old style cameras that took the photos that had to be developed by chemical methods produced images with a resolution of about 35 Megapixels. The human eye depending on the age and state of health of its owner can “produce” images at about 130 Megapixel resolution. My camera produces at best 11 Megapixel resolution. The human eye absolutely “kills” the opposition!

My children are doing photography at school as one of their electives and they were allowed to borrow a digital camera for the weekend. The camera they used was 20 Megapixel I think but it could take images in “RAW” format. This format produces astonishing pictures in my opinion, but it comes at a cost – a minimum of about $1200AUD per basic camera.

I am working on a DIY that should enable anyone to take good photos of their pieces. When complete I will post the results.

Regards

Louis

PS:

Just a bit of mineralogical trivia. Before Jeff Scovil got into mineral photography he used to sell Persian carpets and rugs - neat.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 01:54    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Carles Millan wrote:
Nature took about one thousand million years to create the astonishing eye-retina-brain system through a slow evolution. How long ago was the photographic camera invented?

Around the middle of the 19th century ;-) But i rather consider your question rhetorical, and thus i can only thank you for your nearly philosophic comment! Sometimes i should consider this and be a little more patient ...

Louis Friend wrote:
The human eye absolutely “kills” the opposition!

You're right, no odinary camera can mess with our eyes. Nevertheless every collector wants to make the best possible pictures of his specimens, and it can be frustrating if some "refuse" to get photographed. And when i sometimes see the spectacular photos made by Scovil or Rewitzer (or even "amateur" photographers like Carles here in our forum) i see that there's a big difference between their pictures and the sometimes really bad ones i produce. But sometimes there are some highlights like my Siegerland galena from the page before that comfort me ;-)

I'm excited to see your results, thanks in advance for your effort!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 02:23    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Here's another specimen that taxed my patience while i tried to make some pictures:

Trying to compete with our museum ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/files/rauchq_184.jpg ), but i think my specimen misses a little bit of size and colour to mess with the other one ;-)

GOE_specimen.JPG
 Description:
Smoky quartz
Göscheneralp, Uri, Switzerland
130 x 80 x 75 mm, longest crystal 60 mm
 Viewed:  33477 Time(s)

GOE_specimen.JPG

GOE_crystals.JPG
 Description:
Smoky quartz
Main crystal group, 60 x 40 x 40 mm
 Viewed:  33498 Time(s)

GOE_crystals.JPG

GOE_backside.JPG
 Description:
Smoky quartz
Small clear crystal at the backside, 14 mm
 Viewed:  33497 Time(s)

GOE_backside.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2012 06:45    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Copper from the U.S.:

CopperUS.JPG
 Description:
Copper
Michigan, USA (no more detailed information, sorry)
Height 60 mm
 Viewed:  33395 Time(s)

CopperUS.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2012 06:49    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Smithsonite from Namibia:

HemiSKOR.JPG
 Description:
Smithsonite
Skorpion Mine, Karas Region, Namibia
Width 65 mm
 Viewed:  33416 Time(s)

HemiSKOR.JPG

GneissWare

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2012 08:09    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:
Copper from the U.S.:

This looks like the copper specimens that Richard at Red Metal Mining was producing in the 1980s and 1990s from the Adventure Mine, Greenland, Ontonagan County, Michigan, USA. During this same time frame, he was producing from the Osceola and Caledonia mines, but those specimens had Calcite or Prehnite as associations.

At the very least, you can label it as Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA.

Perhaps George or Susan could confirm for you by PM as well.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 09:34    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Thank you, i will take a note of this.

Here's another specimen with a very vague locality information ("Former Soviet Union"). I've shown this specimen before in a thread were i asked if somebody knows the exact provenience: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=2139

Here's the specimen again with a good picture. Again, i would be very happy to get some clues where my grey scalenohedral "communist calcite" could be from ;-)

USSR_Calcite.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
? ("Former Soviet Union")
Height 70 mm
 Viewed:  33341 Time(s)

USSR_Calcite.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 14:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:

Here's the specimen again with a good picture. Again, i would be very happy to get some clues where my grey scalenohedral "communist calcite" could be from ;-)

Although without sulfides it still looks to me as from Dzhezkazgan, Kazakhstan...

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2012 23:38    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Dear Tobias:

I would like to extend my appreciation for your posts. You have a wide selection of specimens and localities – all fine. Just a quick question – are you a teacher? Regarding localities have you ever thought about approaching the scientific staff of one of Germany’s many fine museums? I have had some success here in Australia by comparing unknowns with reference material some of our Museum’s store in their dusty basements. Most scientific staff are very happy about helping enthusiasts.

Kind regards

Louis

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2012 11:07    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Louis Friend wrote:

You have a wide selection of specimens and localities – all fine. Just a quick question – are you a teacher? Regarding localities have you ever thought about approaching the scientific staff of one of Germany’s many fine museums? I have had some success here in Australia by comparing unknowns with reference material some of our Museum’s store in their dusty basements. Most scientific staff are very happy about helping enthusiasts.

Hi Louis! Yes, i am a teacher, but what has that to do with the locality problem? Thanks for your advice of consulting a museum. We have a really great museum here in Marburg and i know nearly all of its specimens, but none of the calcites looks like that. And i also know the museum staff, but i don't think that they can help because none of them is an expert for Russian minerals. I think asking this international community here makes more sense, nevertheless thank you for your advice and your kind words!

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

You have a wide selection of specimens and localities – all fine. Just a quick question – are you a teacher? Regarding localities have you ever thought about approaching the scientific staff of one of Germany’s many fine museums? I have had some success here in Australia by comparing unknowns with reference material some of our Museum’s store in their dusty basements. Most scientific staff are very happy about helping enthusiasts.

Hi Louis! Yes, i am a teacher, but what has that to do with the locality problem? Thanks for your advice of consulting a museum. We have a really great museum here in Marburg and i know nearly all of its specimens, but none of the calcites looks like that. And i also know the museum staff, but i don't think that they can help because none of them is an expert for Russian minerals. I think asking this international community here makes more sense, nevertheless thank you for your advice and your kind words!

Dear Tobias:

Many thanks for setting me straight on the matter of locality. I hope I did not offend you with my question about you being a teacher, and if I did, I unreservedly apologize. I was just curious to see if other teachers, and in particular science teachers were represented on FMF.

Kind Regards

Louis

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2012 01:08    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Hi Louis,

no problem, i think we had a simple misunderstanding: You did not offend me! I just didn't see the question in context with the topic, so i was somehow confused. There's absolutely no problem in talking about this, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am a teacher, but not in sciences that have to do with minerals or geologly - my subjects are German and History.

Cheers!
Tobi

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 07:06    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Old specimen (a large 23 cm halite specimen from Hesse), detailed pictures:

IMG_6761.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Neuhof-Ellers Potash Works, Neuhof, Fulda, Hesse, Germany
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  32999 Time(s)

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  33029 Time(s)

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6776.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  33008 Time(s)

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6778.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  32997 Time(s)

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6780.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  32991 Time(s)

IMG_6780.JPG

IMG_6772.JPG
 Description:
Halite
Largest crystals ~ 15 mm
 Viewed:  32998 Time(s)

IMG_6772.JPG

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 08:08    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:
Old specimen (a large 23 cm halite specimen from Hesse), detailed pictures:

Good photos, even more considering that they are from colorless and transparent crystals, the most difficult to photograph.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2012 18:44    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Tobias Martin wrote:
Hi Louis,

no problem, i think we had a simple misunderstanding: You did not offend me! I just didn't see the question in context with the topic, so i was somehow confused. There's absolutely no problem in talking about this, sorry for the misunderstanding. I am a teacher, but not in sciences that have to do with minerals or geologly - my subjects are German and History.

Cheers!
Tobi

Dear Tobias:

I am glad you understand. When I am not conducting my daily affairs as either a Physicist or Mathematician, I rarely obey the rules of context. My wife says I ask very embarrassing questions, but one only acquires knowledge by asking questions. When I see or hear something interesting, it arouses my interest and I must pursue it even if it has nothing to do with the subject under discussion.

I like your Halite specimen – very nice!

Kind regards

Louis

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2012 02:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Old specimen, more and better photos:

ElmC1.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
Elmwood mine, Carthage, Smith Co., Tennessee, USA
100 x 90 x 50 mm, main crystal 50 mm
 Viewed:  32810 Time(s)

ElmC1.JPG

ElmC2.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
 Viewed:  32789 Time(s)

ElmC2.JPG

ElmC3.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
 Viewed:  32797 Time(s)

ElmC3.JPG

ElmC4.JPG
 Description:
Calcite
Main crystal (50 mm)
 Viewed:  32812 Time(s)

ElmC4.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2012 06:04    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

I think my halite close-ups above were quite ok, so i tried some more detail pictures of some of my specimens. I want to start with an azurite specimen from Aouli, Morocco:

IMG_6884.JPG
 Description:
Azurite with great blue colour
Aouli, Khénifra Province, Meknès-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
FOV 30 mm
 Viewed:  32785 Time(s)

IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6888.JPG
 Description:
Azurite, malachite, fluorite, baryte
FOV 30 mm
 Viewed:  32715 Time(s)

IMG_6888.JPG

IMG_6889.JPG
 Description:
FOV 30 mm
 Viewed:  32757 Time(s)

IMG_6889.JPG

IMG_6890.JPG
 Description:
FOV 30 mm
 Viewed:  32728 Time(s)

IMG_6890.JPG

IMG_6892.JPG
 Description:
FOV 30 mm
 Viewed:  32768 Time(s)

IMG_6892.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2012 06:48    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

Again some close-ups, galena from Madan, Bulgaria:

IMG_6914.JPG
 Description:
Galena, quartz
Madan ore field, Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria
Galena cubes ~ 1 cm
 Viewed:  32667 Time(s)

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG
 Description:
Galena, quartz
Galena cubes ~ 1 cm
 Viewed:  32644 Time(s)

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6908.JPG
 Description:
Galena, quartz
Galena cubes ~ 1 cm
 Viewed:  32678 Time(s)

IMG_6908.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2012 10:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobias Martin  

I trimmed this one from a large specimen of Indian Apophyllite. Rarely i was that satisfied with the result of my own specimen trimming: I got an elegant specimen with an outstanding main crystal while i removed nearly 75 % of the original specimen.

ApophNEW.JPG
 Description:
Apophyllite
Jalgaon District, Maharashtra, India
Specimen height 100 mm, main crystal 50 mm
 Viewed:  32596 Time(s)

ApophNEW.JPG

Apo2.JPG
 Description:
Apophyllite
 Viewed:  32611 Time(s)

Apo2.JPG

Apo3.JPG
 Description:
Apophyllite
 Viewed:  32653 Time(s)

Apo3.JPG

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 12 of 60
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 58, 59, 60  Next  

Jump to: