We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:35

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Tobi
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2014 09:34    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Tobi wrote:
...it really depends on each specimen whether you get a good photo or not ...Tobi

Right!

There are photogenic and not photogenic specimens. Some pieces, no matter how long you spend trying to get a decent photo, are definitely not photogenic, and the task can often end with a nightmare. However, others can be successfully shot even by a 6-year old. The reason, I think, is that what your eyes see is quite different from what your camera sees.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 05:36    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Here's another new addition to my collection ... and sadly it is exactly one of those "problem childs" where you can try each and every light source and camera mode - and none of the photos looks good :-( However, I want to show that cute little garnet from Pakistan which looks actually better in person ...

ShigarXneu.JPG
 Mineral: Spessartine
 Locality:
Shigar Valley, Shigar District, Gilgit-Baltistan (Northern Areas), Pakistan
 Dimensions: Specimen size 2 cm, garnet crystal 1,5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  30266 Time(s)

ShigarXneu.JPG

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 11:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Tobi wrote:
Here's another new addition to my collection ... and sadly it is exactly one of those "problem childs" where you can try each and every light source and camera mode - and none of the photos looks good :-( However, I want to show that cute little garnet from Pakistan which looks actually better in person ...

Actually the photo is not bad. Very well defined edges, and the faces hue is clearly distinctive. The near white matrix against a white background might be the only defect but after all the most interesting area is the garnet crystal, so the matrix doesn't matter at all.

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 17:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Carles Millan wrote:
Tobi wrote:

Actually the photo is not bad. Very well defined edges, and the faces hue is clearly distinctive. The near white matrix against a white background might be the only defect but after all the most interesting area is the garnet crystal, so the matrix doesn't matter at all.

There are parts that either appear to be soft or out of focus and you can see the presence of noise/film-grain on the actual Spessartine. Could also be due to the white on white conflict.

The Garnet has an interesting appearance but I personally prefer those from Fujian Province and their associated minerals. It's still a nice example with good form and condition.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Vitaliy M. wrote:
The Garnet has an interesting appearance but I personally prefer those from Fujian Province and their associated minerals. It's still a nice example with good form and condition.
I also love those from Fujian: https://www.mindat.org/user-5297.html#2_0_0_0_0_0_wushan

:-)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2014 09:31    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

I'm currently improving my personal Mindat.org gallery by replacing images with better ones, adding some information and deleting the worst specimens and photos. Here are some of the photos of specimens that were only shown in very poor picture quality before. These photos do justice to the specimens:

hohenstein1.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz (var. smoky quartz)
 Locality:
Erongorus 166 farm / Bergsig 167 farm, Karibib District, Erongo Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: Specimen size 11 cm, largest crystal 3,5 cm
 Description:
Grey "Gitterquarz" crystals on brown orthoclase
 Viewed:  29934 Time(s)

hohenstein1.JPG

Xianghuapu.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Xianghuapu Mine, Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
 Dimensions: Specimen size 11,5 cm, largest crystal 4 cm
 Description:
Cluster of intergrown pale green fluorite cubes
 Viewed:  29924 Time(s)

Xianghuapu.JPG

Yates.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorapatite
 Locality:
Yates Mine, Otter Lake, Pontiac RCM, Outaouais, Québec, Canada
 Dimensions: Specimen size 7 cm, largest crystal 3,3 cm
 Description:
Double-terminated fluorapatite crystal in calcite matrix
 Viewed:  29907 Time(s)

Yates.JPG

Blanchard.JPG
 Locality:
Blanchard Mine (Portales-Blanchard Mine), Bingham, Hansonburg District, Socorro County, New Mexico, USA
 Dimensions: Specimen size 9 cm, largest crystal 1 cm
 Description:
Blue fluorite cubes on matrix
 Viewed:  29936 Time(s)

Blanchard.JPG

Stahlberg.JPG
 Mineral: Galena
 Locality:
Stahlberg Mine, Müsen, Siegerland, North Rhine-Westphalia/Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 6 cm, largest crystal 1 cm
 Description:
Isolated galena crystals on matrix from an old Siegerland locality
 Viewed:  29914 Time(s)

Stahlberg.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 15:25    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Old specimen, but not shown before:

IraiCAL.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Iraí, Alto Uruguai region, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
 Dimensions: Specimen size 10 cm, largest calcites 5,5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29800 Time(s)

IraiCAL.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 09:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

More improved material:

I really wasn't satisfied with the poor photo of my new spessartine from Pakistan (see top of this page), so I tried hard and finally got another picture that is ok for me. I also made a better one from the other recently acquired garnet, the Loliondo spessartine from the previous page. The third photo is an old specimen, a fluorite from Wölsendorf/Bavaria, not yet shown in good photo quality.

ShigarSPE.JPG
 Locality:
Shigar Valley, Shigar District, Gilgit-Baltistan (Northern Areas), Pakistan
 Dimensions: Specimen size 2,3 cm, garnet crystal 1,5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29750 Time(s)

ShigarSPE.JPG

LoliondoSPE.JPG
 Locality:
Sangulungulu Hill (Nani Hill), Naan village, Loliondo, Ngorongoro District, Arusha Region, Tanzania
 Dimensions: Specimen size 5 cm, garnet crystal 1 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29806 Time(s)

LoliondoSPE.JPG

MarienFLUO.JPG
 Locality:
Marienschacht Mine, Wölsendorf, Schwarzach bei Nabburg, Wölsendorf West District, Upper Palatinate/Oberpfalz, Bavaria/Bayern, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 7 cm, garnet crystal 1 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29760 Time(s)

MarienFLUO.JPG

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 12:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Interesting coloured fluorite. It reminds me of the Clay Center, Ohio fluorite in a lighter tone.

The quality on the Pakistan Spessartine is much better now but the matrix is largely soft with the details very blurred. The edges on the Spessartine are still soft (lack of diffusion?)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 12:40    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Vitaliy wrote:
Interesting coloured Fluorite. Reminds me of the Clay Center, Ohio Fluorite in a lighter tone.
Not only lighter, it is rather a different kind of colour: These "Honigspat" (= honey spar) fluorites from the famous Wölsendorf district in Bavaria really have a dark yellow colour like honey. And the ones from Clay Center, I never held one in my hands, but they are rather brown, right?

Vitaliy wrote:
The quality on the Pakistan Spessartine is much better now but the matrix is largely soft with the details very blurred. The edges on the Spessartine are still soft (lack of diffusion?)
I'm sorry but that's the best photo that my standard Canon DigiCam is able to make of this specimen. The contrast of a sharp-edged, nearly black crystal and the amorphous white matrix make it one of the most unphotogenic specimens in my collection. I'm sure that a perfect photo on a Jeff Scovil level is possible ... but that would require a professional top notch equipment instead of a 150 € DigiCam ;-)

Tobi

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 14:07    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Tobi wrote:
Vitaliy wrote:
Interesting coloured Fluorite. Reminds me of the Clay Center, Ohio Fluorite in a lighter tone.
Not only lighter, it is rather a different kind of colour: These "Honigspat" (= honey spar) fluorites from the famous Wölsendorf district in Bavaria really have a dark yellow colour like honey. And the ones from Clay Center, I never held one in my hands, but they are rather brown, right?

Vitaliy wrote:
I'm sorry but that's the best photo that my standard Canon DigiCam is able to make of this specimen. The contrast of a sharp-edged, nearly black crystal and the amorphous white matrix make it one of the most unphotogenic specimens in my collection. I'm sure that a perfect photo on a Jeff Scovil level is possible ... but that would require a professional top notch equipment instead of a 150 € DigiCam ;-)

Tobi

Tobi the reason it reminded me of Clay Center or Ohio Fluorite is really because of their shape and rarity. From what I heard there was a limited pocket found for the Fluorite and I don't normally see German fluorite either. The market is usually saturated with Fluorite from other localities such as China or England or American localities.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of Canon digital camera are you using. I am looking to buy a Canon as well soon hopefully and would like to see what kind you are using.

As always thanks for sharing.

Martin Rich

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 14:47    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Hello Tobi!
The spessartine is very beautiful. Maybe a darker background (gray) would fit better with the matrix. Anyway, your photos are very well.

Martin

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Martin Rich wrote:
Hello Tobi!
The spessartine is very beautiful. Maybe a darker background (gray) would fit better with the matrix. Anyway, your photos are very well.

Martin

That's a good suggestion actually. If it doesn't work well with a certain background due to conflicting lighter tones perhaps the background can be darkened.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 05:45    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Vitaliy wrote:
Tobi the reason it reminded me of Clay Center or Ohio Fluorite is really because of their shape and rarity. From what I heard there was a limited pocket found for the Fluorite and I don't normally see German fluorite either. The market is usually saturated with Fluorite from other localities such as China or England or American localities. If you don't mind me asking what kind of Canon digital camera are you using. I am looking to buy a Canon as well soon hopefully and would like to see what kind you are using.

It's a Canon Ixus 115 HS. Concerning the fluorites: There was a time when German fluorites came in masses, and the Wölsendorf district was one of the most important and largest fluorite mining areas in the world for some parts of the 20th century. But of course only a very small part of the endless masses of fluorspar was collectible stuff with honey-colour. This here is only a small and minor specimen from the main honigspat mine Marienschacht. Really large specimens (there were crystal edges up to 7 cm) are extremely expensive these days, even on the German market ...

Martin Rich wrote:
Hello Tobi! The spessartine is very beautiful. Maybe a darker background (gray) would fit better with the matrix. Anyway, your photos are very well. Martin
Vitaliy wrote:

That's a good suggestion actually. If it doesn't work well with a certain background due to conflicting lighter tones perhaps the background can be darkened.

Well guys, I tried different darker backgrounds yesterday, but the effect was only the reversal of the effect above: The matrix was captured very good but the crystal was blurry, so I decided to rather use a photo where it's reverse ;-)

Tobi

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 06:28    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Hi Tobi. I suppose I should be the last one to comment on back ground colours, but I only now use white for single crystals with a rich colour, eg. amethyst. Your photos are good. Perhaps someone should start a thread on choosing back ground colours. Best regards.
(PS! I quite liked you Avatar photo of the Peruvian Rhodo)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2014 06:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Hi Pierre,

I also loved the rhodo avatar, but I couldn't resist this very small version of the spessartine because in a 100 pixel size you don't see that it is still a bit blurry ;-)

I tried dark backgrounds several times but there are actually only two photos that I'd consider acceptable:

jinkouhe.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
Jinkouhe District, Leshan Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China
 Dimensions: Specimen height 9 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29522 Time(s)

jinkouhe.JPG

ThomasRange1.JPG
 Mineral: Topaz
 Locality:
Thomas Range, Juab County, Utah, USA
 Dimensions: Specimen size 8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  29548 Time(s)

ThomasRange1.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2015 08:06    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi (new photo)  

Elbaite from Afghanistan:

Paprok.JPG
 Mineral: Elbaite
 Locality:
Paprok, Kamdesh District, Nuristan Province, Afghanistan
 Dimensions: Specimen height 3,3 cm
 Description:
Typical bicoloured elbaite crystal from Paprok Mine in Afghanistan
 Viewed:  28977 Time(s)

Paprok.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2015 10:01    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Purple fluorite cubes together with brownish siderite on gray quartz crystals. From Sauberg Mine near Ehrenfriedersdorf, Saxony. Specimen size 8,5 cm.

SaubergFLUO.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, siderite, quartz
 Locality:
Sauberg Mine, Ehrenfriedersdorf, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 8,5 cm, largest fluorite 6 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28820 Time(s)

SaubergFLUO.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2015 10:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

One of the most desired things among the variety of German minerals: Brown pyromorphite from Rosenberg Mine near Bad Ems, specimen size 6 cm.

RosenbergPYRO.JPG
 Mineral: Pyromorphite
 Locality:
Rosenberg Mine, Braubach, Bad Ems District, Lahn Valley, Rhineland-Palatinate/Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 6 cm, largest pyromorphite 7 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28811 Time(s)

RosenbergPYRO.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2015 10:44    Post subject: Re: Collection of Tobi  

Twinned fluorite on a matrix of smaller fluorite crystals. From Beihilfe Mine near Freiberg, Saxony. Specimen size 6 cm.

BeihilfeFLUO.JPG
 Locality:
Beihilfe Mine, Halsbrücke, Freiberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: Specimen size 6 cm, larger twin measures 3 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28791 Time(s)

BeihilfeFLUO.JPG

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 30 of 60
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next  

Jump to: