We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
10 Dec-09:50:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
10 Dec-04:54:03 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
10 Dec-02:54:30 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
10 Dec-02:37:33 Re: don lum collection (Tobi)
09 Dec-22:19:02 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-21:56:02 Re: don lum collection (Crosstimber)
09 Dec-21:51:06 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-17:34:46 Re: presentation of new members - gary white from texas (Don Lum)
09 Dec-14:08:20 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
09 Dec-13:34:01 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Gary White)
09 Dec-12:57:36 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Tobi)
09 Dec-11:39:01 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Mathias)
09 Dec-10:44:15 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-09:31:52 Re: history of minerals. (Vic Rzonca)
09 Dec-08:11:22 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-04:36:43 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Heimo Hellwig)
09 Dec-03:46:16 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Tobi)
09 Dec-03:11:44 Re: presentation of new members - le from oregon and gary from texas (Tobi)
09 Dec-02:23:00 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
09 Dec-02:22:50 Presentation of new members - gary white from texas (Gary White)
09 Dec-01:26:54 Re: presentation of new members - le snelling from silverton (Don Lum)
08 Dec-22:54:38 Presentation of new members - le snelling from silverton, oregon (Le Snelling)
08 Dec-22:12:22 Re: your very first rock? (Le Snelling)
08 Dec-21:37:05 Re: your very first rock? (Dale Hallmark)
08 Dec-21:33:46 Re: your very first rock? (Le Snelling)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 10, 2018 10:00

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Daughter of a rock hound

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 09:05    Post subject: Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)  

I’m a newbie, so I really don’t understand how to answer the “what is it” questions posted, but I do know that a majority of my fathers rocks came from the Napa valley area.

I have so many, but will focus only on these two right now.

865A7E28-AF78-4BA7-80AB-EFCEE10F05D8.jpeg
 Description:
Napa, ca
 Viewed:  882 Time(s)

865A7E28-AF78-4BA7-80AB-EFCEE10F05D8.jpeg

F74D15A7-4285-45B3-B0E7-6098A1A28595.jpeg
 Description:
Napa, ca
 Viewed:  881 Time(s)

F74D15A7-4285-45B3-B0E7-6098A1A28595.jpeg

60764254-8FD2-4E91-A68F-21EAAFD0E0DB.jpeg
 Description:
Napa, ca
 Viewed:  883 Time(s)

60764254-8FD2-4E91-A68F-21EAAFD0E0DB.jpeg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 09:58    Post subject: Re: Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)  

Daughter of a rock hound wrote:
I’m a newbie, so I really don’t understand how to answer the “what is it” questions posted, but I do know that a majority of my fathers rocks came from the Napa valley area.

These both appear to be pieces of conglomerate...a sedimentary rock made up of rounded fragments of other rocks that have been eroded, transported by currents (rivers probably) and redeposited. Both appear to be very well lithified, and might even be slightly metamorphosed (baked). Both are clearly heading out for their second (or more) time around as they appear to be clasts from a river bed.

These two are reasonably easy to comment upon, but I would suggest that if you want more information about your fathers rocks you find a local rock-hounding club and contact them...type "California Rockhound Clubs" into Google to find one. It is not that you will find the folks on this site are unwilling to help, but with rocks in particular (as opposed to minerals) they are almost always much easier to identify if you can get them in your hands.

Good luck!

Daughter of a rock hound

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 10:19    Post subject: Re: Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)  

Haha, you are inviting me NOT to post any more of my fathers rocks. Isn’t the world about caring and sharing? If you honestly look back to a time when you hungered for knowledge about rocks and minerals, who shared their knowledge with and inspired you the most? Don’t you want to pay it forward? I will find another site... but you my friend might enjoy helping others learn this fascinating hobby. Knowledge is to be shared. Thank you for your reply.

R Saunders

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 10:55    Post subject: Re: Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)  

Please be patient, this is a world wide group. A google search brings this suggestion
CADY Mountains PLUM LUDROW, California. do to the green in it. Bob

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2018 11:13    Post subject: Re: Please Help Me Identify My Father’s Rocks :)  

Kevin Schofield wrote:
Daughter of a rock hound wrote:

These both appear to be pieces of conglomerate...a sedimentary rock made up of rounded fragments of other rocks that have been eroded, transported by currents (rivers probably) and redeposited. Both appear to be very well lithified, and might even be slightly metamorphosed (baked). Both are clearly heading out for their second (or more) time around as they appear to be clasts from a river bed.

These two are reasonably easy to comment upon, but I would suggest that if you want more information about your fathers rocks you find a local rock-hounding club and contact them...type "California Rockhound Clubs" into Google to find one. It is not that you will find the folks on this site are unwilling to help, but with rocks in particular (as opposed to minerals) they are almost always much easier to identify if you can get them in your hands.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help Kevin. This "Daughter of a rock hound" is a perfect example of what we don't want here: a "funny name" instead her/his real name, not reading (or not following) our welcome message urging her/him to read the Forum guidelines before posting here, and finally when her/him receives a very good and very civil answer, taking it bad and not accepting less than an immediate answer without any effort from her/his side. That's how the world seems to move currently.

A warm thank you to Kevin, to the administrators and to everybody helping seriously here to maintain this oasis of "serious answers" in the middle of the "non-sense quick answers" of most of the net pages (with some fantastic exceptions like Mindat...)

Do not get discouraged Kevin, your help is more than welcome here! ;-)

Topic locked

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: