We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
10 Dec-09:50:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
10 Dec-04:54:03 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
10 Dec-02:54:30 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
10 Dec-02:37:33 Re: don lum collection (Tobi)
09 Dec-22:19:02 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-21:56:02 Re: don lum collection (Crosstimber)
09 Dec-21:51:06 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-17:34:46 Re: presentation of new members - gary white from texas (Don Lum)
09 Dec-14:08:20 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
09 Dec-13:34:01 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Gary White)
09 Dec-12:57:36 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Tobi)
09 Dec-11:39:01 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Mathias)
09 Dec-10:44:15 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-09:31:52 Re: history of minerals. (Vic Rzonca)
09 Dec-08:11:22 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-04:36:43 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Heimo Hellwig)
09 Dec-03:46:16 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Tobi)
09 Dec-03:11:44 Re: presentation of new members - le from oregon and gary from texas (Tobi)
09 Dec-02:23:00 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
09 Dec-02:22:50 Presentation of new members - gary white from texas (Gary White)
09 Dec-01:26:54 Re: presentation of new members - le snelling from silverton (Don Lum)
08 Dec-22:54:38 Presentation of new members - le snelling from silverton, oregon (Le Snelling)
08 Dec-22:12:22 Re: your very first rock? (Le Snelling)
08 Dec-21:37:05 Re: your very first rock? (Dale Hallmark)
08 Dec-21:33:46 Re: your very first rock? (Le Snelling)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 10, 2018 10:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
"Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mathias

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 03:28    Post subject: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

Another specimen with question marks……

(as I have many of them, I tend to purchase what I don't recognize and then find out what it is).

I bought it 3 years ago at a local mineral show.
On the back side there is a small label with the following text:

Deep sea manganese nodule, Port Elizabeth, April '78.

The specimen is about 8 * 6 cm and consists of an agglomerate of small spheres of about 2 to 3 mm size.

Where is it found? I guess on the bottom of the sea, but can it be more specific?
I've seen pictures of manganese nodules but they all have a solid spherical shape, and not aggolmerates of smaller spheres. I've read that bacteria are involved in the formation of these nodules, so is it a mineral?

Thanks again,
Mathias

083E.JPG
 Locality:
South Korea
 Dimensions: 8*6*4
 Description:
 Viewed:  1245 Time(s)

083E.JPG

083F.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1238 Time(s)

083F.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 04:43    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

MATHIAS,
If the ID of your example is correct, a lot could be said about it and, then again, not much could be said based solely on your photos. It probably is a mixture of manganese oxides, known by various names including psilomane, pyrolusite, "wad" and several others. The names generally are based on appearance, where found, and assay differences and other findings of each specimen. If your example is not only manganese, but includes another element, then there are several additional mineral names attached to it. All this is also based on the other element involved and on assay of the specimen. Formation of these might be totally inorganic or part of an organic process. Whether each specimen is truly a naturally formed mineral can be the subject of some debate so there are semantics and definitions also involved.

I suggest reading on the subject as there is a lot online about this stuff. If you are really interested, you might want it assayed, but.........

I know just a bit about these as mixtures of manganese oxides, or "wad", are commonly found in Indiana geodes. I call them "manganese oxides, nos". Some collectors stay away from this stuff while others have several types, all ID-ed. BOB

Mathias

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 05:35    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

Bob thanks,

Perhaps I'll have it analysed with our XRF to see what other elements are present.

Best regards,
Mathias

Jako Schonken

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 06:21    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

Hi Mathias

I recently bought a manganese nodule with a German label that could be of interest to you.

The label reads :

Mangan-Knolle
v. Meeresboden - Red See
van N.I.M. üb Prütting
Krugersdorp
cu, 1977

in English:
Manganese Nodule
from Seabed - Red Sea
from N.I.M. over Prütting
Krugersdorp (town in South Africa)

What interested me was the date - one year before yours was collected.

Kind regards,

Jako Schonken

Manganese Nodule.jpg
 Mineral: Manganese Nodule
 Locality:
Red Sea, Egypt
 Dimensions: 20 x 20 x 35 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1161 Time(s)

Manganese Nodule.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 09:18    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

I happen to have quite a few [more than 30] authenticated deep-sea Mn-nodules in my mineral collection. I also have two books [in Russian] that seem to be the best books on the subject. All of my specimens came from the same Russian research ship in the same area of the Pacific. Mn-nodules are known from MANY different locations undersea in many places and they do differ. The books I have show many different types - but to be honest none like you have. To me they look more like terrestrial Mn-oxides. But that does NOT rule them out as deep sea. All deep sea Mn-nodules build up very slowly by accretion, so if one cuts across them one finds layers as in an onion - only much thinner layers. Also, they usually have a 'seed' upon which they formed - be it a pebble, grain of some mineral, but interestingly often an organic object. I think it is not hard to find a lot of information and photos of Mn-nodules from the deep seas online. If yours is deep sea, it has an interesting structure of many smaller nodules forming a larger one - again, not seen in my two books - but they don't claim to be exhaustive. Also, I think a specific gravity test should tell. Mn-nodules from the seabed while not light, are NOT as dense as their terrestrial cousins. Good luck.

Mathias

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2018 00:27    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

Jako and Peter thanks,

I start believing that my specimen does not come from the ocean bottom but from a mine. The specimen of Jako look more like a real deep sea manganese nodule.
Mine doesn't look like any known nodules, and from experience I know that in this case, it most probably isn't from the ocean bottom. I guess I have to start looking for similar specimen from known mines and perhaps I can finally put a probably location of origin to my specimen.

Thanks again,

Mathias

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2018 02:49    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

It looks terrestrial. It looks nothing like what I have or have seen of deep sea Mn-nodules. They are rarely shiny, crusty in appearance and a mix of Mn with many other metals and elements - and have a much less dense structure due to how they formed and spaces between accreted bits. If your piece is in the range of specific gravity of Mn-oxides it is certainly terrestrial - also if cutting one of those 'berries' does not show a layered structure of varying widths and colors. Deep sea Mn-nodules are fairly fragile and look and feel a bit like a charcoal briquette - though more dense. They also are more gray than black - but vary in the color.

Mathias

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2018 00:38    Post subject: Re: "Deep Sea Manganese Nodule"....  

Last Sunday I purchased some new specimen from a large collection and I found another Manganese nodule. I took it with me and the label says: "Manganknolle, Theley".
Theley is a place in Germany (after googling).

The size is 6*6*5 cm. Apparently this is a manganese nodule from the continent.

Regards,
Mathias.

077G.JPG
 Locality:
Germany
 Description:
 Viewed:  847 Time(s)

077G.JPG

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: