We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
10 Dec-19:01:18 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Dec-14:51:04 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
10 Dec-14:38:39 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
10 Dec-13:36:42 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Jordi Fabre)
10 Dec-13:28:57 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
10 Dec-13:19:35 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Kevin Conroy)
10 Dec-13:04:49 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
10 Dec-10:56:33 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Dec-09:50:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
10 Dec-04:54:03 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
10 Dec-02:54:30 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
10 Dec-02:37:33 Re: don lum collection (Tobi)
09 Dec-22:19:02 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-21:56:02 Re: don lum collection (Crosstimber)
09 Dec-21:51:06 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
09 Dec-17:34:46 Re: presentation of new members - gary white from texas (Don Lum)
09 Dec-14:08:20 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
09 Dec-13:34:01 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Gary White)
09 Dec-12:57:36 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Tobi)
09 Dec-11:39:01 Re: favourite sphalerites? (Mathias)
09 Dec-10:44:15 Re: the intense oiling of chinese minerals (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-09:31:52 Re: history of minerals. (Vic Rzonca)
09 Dec-08:11:22 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Bob Harman)
09 Dec-04:36:43 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Heimo Hellwig)
09 Dec-03:46:16 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 10, 2018 23:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Best way to preserve geode pathway?

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Emilygreene

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2018 20:59    Post subject: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

Thanks in advance for reading and I apologize if I’m posting in the wrong place. I purchased a new home that has a concrete pathway inlaid with geodes that I’m hoping to find a way to seal/protect from the harsh sun and heat of long South Carolina summers. The path seems to be 18 years old based on a date etching in the concrete. I’m also very interested to know the types of rocks as this pathway was a huge selling point for me due to its unique beauty. Any suggestions on how to seal this and geode identification is greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
E. Greene

1246C32A-CC55-4D1A-B3F1-58254C324C7D.jpeg
 Mineral: Various
 Dimensions: Various
 Description:
I’m under the impression that the original owner of this home was a geologist or at least a very serious rock and mineral enthusiast. It seems that this is a massive compilation of specimens and I have no idea on their origins.
 Viewed:  939 Time(s)

1246C32A-CC55-4D1A-B3F1-58254C324C7D.jpeg

7414AD3B-4448-4F7C-BAC8-AD42CD897E15.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  939 Time(s)

7414AD3B-4448-4F7C-BAC8-AD42CD897E15.jpeg

7808E428-F781-4566-AB7D-2F97059FA520.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  938 Time(s)

7808E428-F781-4566-AB7D-2F97059FA520.jpeg

02EA6D6C-E844-400C-9959-D1FA9A526AAB.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  943 Time(s)

02EA6D6C-E844-400C-9959-D1FA9A526AAB.jpeg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2018 09:51    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

Hi Emily!
In this concrete pathway there is everything you can imagine! Agates, jaspers, artificially painted agates, sodalite, lapis lazuli....! DIfferent origins as well!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

crosstimber
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2018 13:42    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

Hi Emily,

As Riccardo stated, there are many different types of rocks in the pathway. Most of what you have seems to be slabbed agates and jaspers. These are cut from larger rough rock with a diamond slab saw. Most of these are quite a bit harder than the concrete that they are embedded in so there is little worry to about as far as durability. The thing that I would worry most about is water seeping into the area around the edges of the slabs where they meet the concrete. Freeze/thaw cycles could then loosen or crack the slabs. To seal this area, look for a good quality concrete sealer. This stuff is used on stamped/stained concrete driveways and sidewalks. It can be applied with a paint roller, and may have to be repeated every couple of years or so,

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2018 18:17    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

There are NO geodes, just agates, pieces of agate and, as mentioned, various types of rock and minerals. As stated go to a home improvement store such as Lowe's, Home Depot or a hardware store and ask for a clear concrete sealer or similar stuff. Wait for a dry spell, then apply it with a mop or roller, wait several days before walking on it and that should help. BOB

SteveB

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2018 06:21    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

The rocks are already protected. They are rocks. Concrete will waste away. Two problems with sealing is that sealing coats will yellow in the sun and weather (fyi polished rocks have nothing coating them at all). Secondly it's a pathway and sealing can make the path dangerous to walk on, a hazard to yourself physically and from lawsuits when some else slips. So don't just go grab the cheapest stuff you find in the hardware store, ask for something that won’t yellow and has anti-slip properties. Another option is look into concrete dyes too, for example a black dye washed into the concrete before applying a sealer may give a nice contrast to the stones and enhance the look. dyes are usually for mixing when laying concrete but there may be options for mixing as liquid to wash existing concrete so it soaks in, concrete is porous while those stones aren't so you may be able to quickly wash over the whole path or may have to use sponges to do the concrete around the rocks. Landscapers and pavers should be able to give best advice to add value by enhancing the look and safety of this path. Very cool path. I would avoid colour painting on the path, a wash to darken the concrete so it contrasts better is all, painting would be tacky to look at. Some path lights may work for you too? Speak to the experts and see what's new in the industry these days, they’ll know what's in the trade that hasn't yet made it to local hardware stores. Especially if there are other features around the garden/yard that are rock based that could be tied in with the path theme tastefully so the rocks are part of the whole theme rather than an out of place oddity.

Emilygreene

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2018 23:59    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

Thank you so much for the replies! My apologies for the mistaken “geode” terminology. I’ll post some more up close pictures of individual stones at a later date to get some more id info, but I think I have all the info I was looking for with regard to preserving/protecting the pathway. Steve- thank you so much for your response as this is exactly the info I was looking for. I have some experience in sealing tile and was skeptical of the indoor sealants I know of not yellowing in the sun and weather. I also do not want to make the pathway super slick. I hadn’t thought of the concrete color wash, but I’m intrigued and will look into it. The sides of the path in a few spots are crumbling so I’ll be doing a bit of framing and pouring in the near future to fix that and will consider any changes to the concrete color at that time. Unfortunately the people at my local hardware and big box stores are pretty clueless when it comes to any technical questions, but thank you for indicating to ask about a product that won’t yellow!

Emilygreene

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2018 00:12    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

One more quick question-
Any recommendations on cleaning it off? Just want to make sure my pressure washer won’t tear up any of these gorgeous rocks (primarily ones that have any jagged edges or other unique features that could potentially be damaged with high-pressure washing). Special cleaner or just a regular outdoor cleaner for driveways/buildings? I have a brush attachment for the pressure washer that doesn’t hit at quite an extreme angle and the bristles reduce the stream of water from being so forceful. Maybe I’ll give the brush a try first to be on the safe side. Thanks again!!!

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2018 03:29    Post subject: Re: Best way to preserve geode pathway?  

Hi Emily and hi to everybody!
For cleaning minerals I can give you an advice: but for the soluble-in-water ones, I usually use water and an old toothbrush, the result is quite satisfactory.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: