We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
12 Dec-13:21:13 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
12 Dec-12:45:07 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Philippe Durand)
12 Dec-09:43:21 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
12 Dec-09:00:41 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
12 Dec-08:45:38 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
12 Dec-07:31:11 Re: baryte collection of niels brouwer (Niels Brouwer)
12 Dec-07:00:24 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter)
12 Dec-06:41:06 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Herman Van Dennebroek)
12 Dec-05:39:42 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Stefan Koch)
12 Dec-05:18:42 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
12 Dec-02:50:42 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
12 Dec-02:35:40 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Heimo Hellwig)
12 Dec-02:11:01 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
12 Dec-02:07:01 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Wendellwilson)
12 Dec-01:45:46 Best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
11 Dec-20:05:45 Re: juan, spain. Help. (J. G. Alcolea)
11 Dec-19:40:16 Re: juan, spain. Help. (Montanpark)
11 Dec-18:37:37 Re: juan, spain. Help. (J. G. Alcolea)
11 Dec-18:07:16 Re: juan, spain. Help. (Joseph D'oliveira)
11 Dec-18:04:23 Re: juan, spain. Help. (Montanpark)
11 Dec-17:42:05 Juan, spain. Help. (J. G. Alcolea)
11 Dec-15:16:19 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
10 Dec-19:01:18 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Dec-14:51:04 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
10 Dec-14:38:39 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 12, 2018 13:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 19:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Below is a photo of another of my lanthanide elements, Terbium (500g). It is a very fascinating metal, but I am biased as I find all the chemical elements fascinating.

TERBIUM 500 g INGOT 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1124 Time(s)

TERBIUM 500 g INGOT 3.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 19:37    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

A contributor to FMF commented on the apparent similarity of the d-block chemical elements in terms of colour tone. In fact when you place them side by side the subtle differences in hue become very clear in my opinion. Below is a photo of the group 8 elements prior to encapsulation. Before encasing them in plastic it is important to prepare them – cut, clean and polish. Of the three shown in the photo Osmium is the prettiest. It has a beautiful light blue hue, which can be seen when compared to Ruthenium and Iron. The Ruthenium pellets are each 1 troy ounce and the total amount of Osmium encapsulated was also 1 Troy ounce.

GROUP 8 NEW.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1114 Time(s)

GROUP 8 NEW.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 19:51    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

The prettiest element in group 1 is Cesium which has a beautiful golden colour and turns into a liquid on days when the room temperature exceeds 28C. Shown below is my sample of Cesium (10g) floating in plastic. The substrate I used to encase the element is UV hard (does not yellow), is resistant to most chemical solvents and can withstand compressional forces exceeding 8000 PSI. Thus it ensures the product is very safe.

CESIUM.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1108 Time(s)

CESIUM.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 19:57    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

We also have some very attractive elements at the far right end of the periodic table. They tend to be on the shy side and will only show their true colours under the right conditions. The plasma tube below is a smaller version of those shown earlier. It contains argon and is being energized with my plasma driver. I called dancing argon because the plasma stream which looks a lot more violet to the naked eye was dancing and rotating about in the vial.

DANCING ARGON (99.995%) GAS.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  1103 Time(s)

DANCING ARGON (99.995%) GAS.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 20:44    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

WHEN HOBBIES COLLIDE

When I was assembling my periodic table I was on the lookout for a nice display specimen of carbon. I though graphite would be the best one to display. Below is a specimen of ‘vein’ graphite from the Bogala Mine, Sri Lanka. It was sourced from the UK via a crystal healing store. The lady who owns the store was very accommodating when I asked her to send me a really nice piece. When it arrived it was obvious it should be in a mineral collection, so I ordered another but that too proved too nice to cut up.

GRAPHITE 1.jpg
 Mineral: Graphite
 Locality:
Bogala Mine, Bogala, Kegalle District, Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka
 Dimensions: 90 x 60 x 40 mm
 Description:
250 grams
 Viewed:  1105 Time(s)

GRAPHITE 1.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2018 20:45    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

WHEN HOBBIES COLLIDE

When I was assembling my periodic table I was on the lookout for a nice display specimen of carbon. I though graphite would be the best one to display. Below is a specimen of ‘vein’ graphite from the Bogala Mine, Sri Lanka. It was sourced from the UK via a crystal healing store. The lady who owns the store was very accommodating when I asked her to send me a really nice piece. When it arrived it was obvious it should be in a mineral collection, so I ordered another but that too proved too nice to cut up.

GRAPHITE 2.jpg
 Mineral: Graphite
 Locality:
Bogala Mine, Bogala, Kegalle District, Sabaragamuwa Province, Sri Lanka
 Dimensions: 90 x 60 x 40 mm
 Description:
250 grams
 Viewed:  1095 Time(s)

GRAPHITE 2.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:10    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

The first mineral is a very large Cuprite. The crystal measures 70mm tip-to-tip and weighs 350 grams. 70 x 50 x 45 mm

Poteryaevskoe Mine CUPRITE 1.jpg
 Mineral: Cuprite
 Locality:
Poteryaevskoe Mine, Rubtsovskoe, Rudnyi Altai, Altaiskii Kray, Western-Siberian Region, Russia
 Dimensions: 70 x 50 x 45 mm
 Description:
350 grams
 Viewed:  1057 Time(s)

Poteryaevskoe Mine CUPRITE 1.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:12    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

Another view of my large cuprite. The first mineral is a very large Cuprite. The crystal measures 70mm tip-to-tip and weighs 350 grams. 70 x 50 x 45 mm

Poteryaevskoe Mine CUPRITE 2.jpg
 Locality:
Poteryaevskoe Mine, Rubtsovskoe, Rudnyi Altai, Altaiskii Kray, Western-Siberian Region, Russia
 Dimensions: 70 x 50 x 45 mm
 Description:
350 grams
 Viewed:  1049 Time(s)

Poteryaevskoe Mine CUPRITE 2.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:14    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

Another of my many Russian cuprites. The second mineral is another of my cuprites. 60 x 40 x 35 mm; 160 gram.

Poteryaevskoe Mine ANOTHER CUPRITE 1.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 60 x 50 x 35 mm
 Description:
160 grams
 Viewed:  1052 Time(s)

Poteryaevskoe Mine ANOTHER CUPRITE 1.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:17    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

The third mineral is an azurite nodule typical of the deposit. It weighs 180 gram and is composed of two interconnected balls one more dominant than the other. 70 x 55 x 50 mm.

Poteryaevskoe Mine AZURITE 3.jpg
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 70 x 55 x 50 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1050 Time(s)

Poteryaevskoe Mine AZURITE 3.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:19    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

Another view of the Azurite nodule.

Poteryaevskoe Mine AZURITE 4.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
180 grams
 Viewed:  1046 Time(s)

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:21    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

Still yet another view of the nodule.

Locality:
 Description:
180 grams
 Viewed:  1045 Time(s)

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:22    Post subject: Some Copper minerals of the Poteryaevskoe Mine  

The last view of the piece

Poteryaevskoe Mine AZURITE 1.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
180 grams
 Viewed:  1040 Time(s)

Poteryaevskoe Mine AZURITE 1.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 02:26    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

I will post some more pictures of my treasures from this mine, but it is getting way past my bed time.

If anyone would like to see a particular mineral or chemical element (naturally occurring non-radioactive), or just more pictures of my machines, please ask.

dontgogreen

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 08:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Recovering - Academic wrote:
If anyone would like to see a particular mineral or chemical element (naturally occurring non-radioactive), or just more pictures of my machines, please ask.

How about germanium? One of the "critical elements", it is recovered as a byproduct from zinc ores. Approximately 50% of the global Ge supply comes from a single coal mine in China where they burn coal specifically to recover the Ge. In America, zinc mines in Tennessee and Oklahoma contain Ge in minerals such as sphalerite and potentially hemimorphite. While there are 27 minerals in which Ge is an essential element, they do not occur in economically recoverable quantities, to my knowledge. Have you been able to obtain any of these examples?

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 17:04    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

dontgogreen wrote:
Recovering - Academic wrote:

How about germanium? One of the "critical elements", it is recovered as a byproduct from zinc ores. Approximately 50% of the global Ge supply comes from a single coal mine in China where they burn coal specifically to recover the Ge. In America, zinc mines in Tennessee and Oklahoma contain Ge in minerals such as sphalerite and potentially hemimorphite. While there are 27 minerals in which Ge is an essential element, they do not occur in economically recoverable quantities, to my knowledge. Have you been able to obtain any of these examples?

One of my FMF viewers (dontgogreen) requested a photo of some of my Germanium. The germanium shown in the photo is chip grade (99.9999%) and is 100 mm wide and 1 mm thick. It was supplied by the lovely Melanie in Flower Mound, Texas.

When I ordered the wafers I requested a specific crystal orientation which is designated as <111> which refers to how the germanium billet is grown by the Czochralski method.

This crystal orientation is very amenable for the element collector. By placing a small but sharp nail in the middle of the wafer and applying a little force, you can induce the wafer to split into six equally sized segments. The segment so produced is just the right size to fit into a 100 mm x 100 mm x 40 mm block.

GERMANIUM - MAN MADE.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  829 Time(s)

GERMANIUM - MAN MADE.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 17:37    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Below are two photos of the front and back of one of my native copper specimens from that famous Russian locality the Poteryaevskoe Mine. It also has what I suspect might be a large copper after cuprite pseudomorph which can be seen in the lower right of the second photo.

NATIVE COPPER - Poteryaevskoe Mine - FRONT.jpg
 Mineral: Copper
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 140 mm x 90 mm x 45 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  816 Time(s)

NATIVE COPPER - Poteryaevskoe Mine - FRONT.jpg

NATIVE COPPER - Poteryaevskoe Mine - BACK.jpg
 Mineral: Copper
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 140 mm x 90 mm x 45 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  843 Time(s)

NATIVE COPPER - Poteryaevskoe Mine - BACK.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 18:43    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Below are two photos (front and back) of one of my Copper after cuprite specimens from the famous Russian locality. The specimen is a stalactite of several copper after cuprites stacked one on top of the other.

Copper after cuprite - 1.jpg
 Mineral: Copper (after Cuprite)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 100 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  801 Time(s)

Copper after cuprite - 1.jpg

Copper after cuprite - 2.jpg
 Mineral: Copper (after Cuprite)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 100 mm x 40 mm x 35 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  803 Time(s)

Copper after cuprite - 2.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 19:12    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Below are two examples of my elemental carbon samples in the form of graphite powder and a graphite electrode encapsulated in my 100 mm x 100 mm x 40 mm blocks.

Carbon (graphite powder).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  789 Time(s)

Carbon (graphite powder).jpg

Carbon (graphite electrode).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  790 Time(s)

Carbon (graphite electrode).jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2018 19:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Machines, Metals and Minerals  

Below is an example of my elemental boron sample in the form of granules/crystals encapsulated in my 100 mm x 100 mm x 40 mm block.

Boron (granules 99.9%).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  791 Time(s)

Boron (granules 99.9%).jpg

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 16
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next  

Jump to: