We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 18, 2024 07:40

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

meowtrageous11

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2018 21:40    Post subject: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

Hi all! New to the forum and looking for advice on a few things from more experienced mineral collectors.
1. Best U.S. places to go for mineral mining (of any kind - quartz, calcite, special minerals of your liking)? I'm looking to take a road trip or two this year between semesters and would like to find some of my own minerals - i love the idea of a hunt! Also, any advice on locating or spotting deposits? (Things to look for, typical signs and locations of deposits, etc.)

2. What is your favorite mineral? I love minerals with unique crystal structures and am looking for one with such structures (fluffy okenite, hexagonal vanadanite, octahedral fluorite, etc).

Thanks for your input!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 02:01    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

meowtrageous11 wrote:
1. Best U.S. places to go for mineral mining (of any kind - quartz, calcite, special minerals of your liking)? I'm looking to take a road trip or two this year between semesters and would like to find some of my own minerals - i love the idea of a hunt! Also, any advice on locating or spotting deposits? (Things to look for, typical signs and locations of deposits, etc.)

Best and easiest would be to contact with some (or both) of the two mineralogical groups of Texas ( https://www.rockngem.com/club-listings/ ) :

Dallas Gem & Mineral Society
P.O. Box 742033
Dallas, TX 75374-2033

Houston Gem & Mineral Society
10805 Brooklet
Houston, TX 77099
(281) 530-0942

meowtrageous11 wrote:
2. What is your favorite mineral? I love minerals with unique crystal structures and am looking for one with such structures (fluffy okenite, hexagonal vanadanite, octahedral fluorite, etc).

Please check: Favourite mineral species/families? and Favourite Minerals

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2018 20:17    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

I suggest concentrating your preliminary collecting focus on sulphide and arsenide minerals. It is still possible to acquire some first-rate display worthy minerals in the small-cabinet to cabinet size if you focus on galena, pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and others. There are some absolutely stunning sulphide minerals with great aesthetics coming from localities like Trepca, Bulgaria, Morocco and others. Some very nice and affordable minerals like gersdorffite and skutterudite are now abundant from some Moroccan mines. You will be able to obtain some specimens that are equal to those you might find in any Museum, and often for less than $1000USD or even $250USD. As a general rule calcite, fluorite, silicates and other similar minerals often attract high prices.

The other suggestion is to learn how to trim and prepare minerals. This way you will develop the skills to enhance what might otherwise be considered just a mediocre piece.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your adventures.

meowtrageous11

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2018 11:11    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

Recovering - Academic wrote:
I suggest concentrating your preliminary collecting focus on sulphide and arsenide minerals. It is still possible to acquire some first-rate display worthy minerals in the small-cabinet to cabinet size if you focus on galena, pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite and others. There are some absolutely stunning sulphide minerals with great aesthetics coming from localities like Trepca, Bulgaria, Morocco and others.

Those are great subsections to look in! I actually have a few chalcopyrite specimens, and my general collection consists of fluorite, celestite, dogtooth calcite, and some other little ones. I've added pictures of a few I currently have. I feel like they're pretty amateur compared to the beautiful specimens I see on auction, but it's a start! My sweet spot is vanadanite currently (I actually have a specimen from Morocco, like you mentioned!), but I'll look into the others in that group! I've also never thought about the cleaning-curating side of finding my own minerals. I'll do some research on that as well.

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Best and easiest would be to contact with some (or both) of the two mineralogical groups of Texas.

I did some research into the links you offered, and found some shows that offer information about the things I was curious about! Thanks for the suggestion.

IMG_3891.JPG
 Mineral: Vanadinite
 Locality:
Morocco
 Dimensions: 3.5 x 3 x 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  9315 Time(s)

IMG_3891.JPG

IMG_3898.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Description:
 Viewed:  9289 Time(s)

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG
 Mineral: Chalcopyrite
 Description:
 Viewed:  9295 Time(s)

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG
 Mineral: Copper
 Locality:
Michigan, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  9305 Time(s)

IMG_3914.JPG

cascaillou

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2018 13:10    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

May I suggest calcite: many crystal forms, many colors and also fluorescence, many combinations with other minerals, easily found anywhere, also sells for cheap.

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2018 22:26    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

meowtrageous11 wrote:
Hi all! New to the forum and looking for advice on a few things from more experienced mineral collectors.

Thanks for your input!

It all depends on what your want. If you are prepared to collect some nice ore samples with sparkle write to a few mining companies seeking their help.

If you want to add collector quality material to your collection do one of the following:

- Win the lotto
- Inherit a fortune from a rich and deceased relative
- Shop around

I do not say these things to be unkind, controversial or flippant. This hobby has a ferocious appetite for money – and that is the bottom line. Even display worthy specimens of the more common minerals will require anything from $250USD to $850USD per piece depending on size.

Sometimes you can get lucky. I have many pieces in my collection from Milpillas that I could not afford in the early years when demand was for the azurites and malachites were high. The same can be said of cuprite crystals from the Poteryaevskoe Mine. I have a large and pristine cuprite in my collection that would have cost a fortune had I tried to get it back when demand was high. Even large single crystals with damage were fetching $4000USD or more. I know because I screen-dumped the vendors’ pages for my own records.

I have made a few close friendships with a few vendors who have been in the mineral business since Moses was in a diaper. They provide good material and a lot of useful information about the mineral business. I find their gossip especially entertaining, and highly informative.

PM if you wish.

Mathias

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2018 03:15    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

Hi

I don't agree that you need to be fortunate to own a good collection.
What is a good collection (or as you said: "collector quality") anyway?
If you like it then its a good collection!

I agree that if you make a list of what you want to buy, take and the list with you to Ste. Marie or Munich, and succesively buy at top quality dealers; yeah, take some money with you.

But there are dozens of local exhibitions where you will find local dealers, or collectors who stop and sell all they have against very attractive prices. Be there early, before the doors open, because there's buyers competition. And yes, gradually, during years, you will gain a good collection.

Another tip that works, but it requires good knowledge; buy specimens at small / local exhibitions and sell them on e-rocks or on other auction sites. But you need to know which mineral specimens typically are sellable and of course you have to purchase them against a profitable price. With the earned money you may buy the specimens you want for your own collection.

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2018 04:39    Post subject: Re: Beginner Mineral Searching and Favorite Mineral Advice Needed!  

I agree that you can build a "good" collection without winning the lottery. It depends on how you define "good" minerals. If you want to collect large specimen of classic minerals that have perfect aesthetics and outstanding quality, well, a win in the lottery would be not that bad ;-) But a collection of good and aesthetic minerals is also possible without the lottery. I collect worldwide minerals and thus I'm not rich I can not afford the outstanding high-end pieces that you can find online or at shows; I'm not able to own top pieces of stuff like rhodochrosite from Sweet Home Mine or Galena from Neudorf. Nevertheless I think I have a "good" collection with several fine specimens, though none of my specimens has a four- or five-digit-price or would win an award at a show ...

I follow (or at least I try to follow) another advice that is really, really, really important for every collector: Purchase quality, not quantity. My display collection has only about 140 specimens and I "force" myself to get the best ones for the one showcase I have in the living room. So not matter if you can spend 5 or 50 or 500 or 5,000 or 50,0000 Dollars for a mineral purchase: Try to invest them in ONE specimen and buy the best you can afford. I often ignored that advice (which in my opinion is one of the most important advices for EVERY mineral collector) and purchased stuff that did not really satisfy me :-(

And if you ask for our favorite minerals, every answer is very subjective. But if it helps you to determine some collecting focuses for you, why not ;-) As a collector of both aesthetic and classic (= from historic/famous localities) minerals, my favourites are fluorite, galena, quartz, calcite, pyromorphite and other minerals from the apatite group (fluorapatite, mimetite, vanadinite), sphalerite, rhodochrosite, beryl, tourmaline, topaz, barite, garnet and pyrite. But due to the fact that I did not win the lottery you will find more good quartz, galena and fluorite specimens in my collection than good rhodochrosite, beryl or tourmaline specimens ;-)

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: