We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
European Mineral and Mining Museums

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Robert Seitz

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2018 17:46    Post subject: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Just back from a month in Cornwall. It was great to see minerals in displays, to obtain a few mineral specimens, and to see all the remnants of mining activity around tin, copper, and kaolin. It's actually surprising to see where specimens reside & the context of display. For example, saw a great English hematite in odd corner of building when walking Hadrian's Wall a couple years ago. If it had been nearer home, I'd have tried to obtain.

Next we are in Rome for 10 days. What mineral and mining related museums in near vicinity would you suggest?

Longer term will be in Prague, Vienna, Budapest for 10 days each. Likewise, what mineral and mining related museums would you recommend?

It's east to see some details on internet, but better to hear from this group!

Thanks,
Bob
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2018 22:31    Post subject: Re: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Living in Prague [as an expat] many years I can speak for this city....there are three major collections [in theory]. The largest is the collection in the Historical Museum at the end of Vaclavske nam.; however it has been closed several years for reconstruction and will remain closed for about two more years. The next best collection is in the Technical University in Prague-6, BUT is NOT open to the public - it is sometimes available IF and ONLY IF you contact a few days or weeks ahead of time and make an appointment and prove you are in some way knowledgeable about minerals. The third is the collection of the Geology Dept. of Charles University and I believe it theoretically has brief open hours each week, but it is best to make a reservation to go to that one too. Between the three, there are great minerals to be seen, but you almost have to live here to see them. There are much smaller collections near famous mining areas - Jackymov, Pribram, etc. Sorry, but Prague is likely to be a disappointment. I have seen all of the mentioned collections several times and they are all GREAT!, but chances of seeing them when visiting is not high - unless you plan ahead! The main collection in the National Museum is simply not available at all at this time - an absurd situation to be closed for five years.....but how things are done here.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 01:32    Post subject: Re: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Robert Seitz wrote:
Just back from a month in Cornwall [...] Next we are in Rome for 10 days. What mineral and mining related museums in near vicinity would you suggest? Longer term will be in Prague, Vienna, Budapest for 10 days each. Likewise, what mineral and mining related museums would you recommend?

Hi Bob, when you come from Cornwall and your next destinations are Rome, Vienna, Prague and Budapest, I guess you'll cross Germany - so I recommend the Museum here in Marburg and the Terra Mineralia in Freiberg ;-)

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 10:45    Post subject: Re: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Tobi

Thanks for this. There is more time between the trips than I expressed in my question, i.e., wee are back in US and the other European trips lie in the more distant future.
Having said that we will be spending time in Germany during travels. A month in Cornwall was about right, so expect will plan accordingly for different cities and areas in Europe as time goes on. Marburg and Freiburg are definitely on the map.

Regards,
Bob

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 10:47    Post subject: Re: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Peter

Thanks for this information. We will have time to contact museums prior to visiting. Is great to know this.

It's great to see how many museums are upgrading lighting and presentation of mineral specimens. However, is quite disappointing to wait on the pace. We were in New York at Museum of Natural History & see those upgrades will not be completed until late 2019. Ah well, another trip.

Regards,
Bob

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2018 11:03    Post subject: Re: European Mineral and Mining Museums  

Robert Seitz wrote:
Peter

Thanks for this information. We will have time to contact museums prior to visiting. Is great to know this.

It's great to see how many museums are upgrading lighting and presentation of mineral specimens. However, is quite disappointing to wait on the pace. We were in New York at Museum of Natural History & see those upgrades will not be completed until late 2019. Ah well, another trip.

Regards,
Bob

While the National Museum will [I hear] have new cabinets and lighting, the others do not....think circa 1850 for cabinets and stands/labels and 1900 lighting. It was like that at the fantastic collection at the National Museum before it closed for an endless reconstruction. I used to bring my OWN light...which caused the docents [older women who watch visitors] to follow me at very close range - sure I was planning on breaking into the cases..in fact, I was just trying to SEE the specimens. If you need any help here PM me.

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: