We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 22:15

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The collectors and the Museums of Minerals

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2018 23:16    Post subject: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Gail wrote:
More teasers...

I went to Yale as a Grad Student long ago, and OFTEN [VERY OFTEN] went to the mineralogical museum. From the photos of the Gail's thread 3rd Peabody Museum Symposium in New Haven, Connecticut it seems to have moved. The building I remember is not what I see. That photo labeled something like 'older exhibit' certainly looks totally 'new' to me. While the collection I remember was fantastic, the building was an old and cramped one - no natural light, no glass-enclosed areas - no new stairs. Anyway, what is important are the minerals and the people.....
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2018 23:26    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Peter Lemkin wrote:
Gail wrote:
More teasers...

I went to Yale as a Grad Student long ago, and OFTEN [VERY OFTEN] went to the mineralogical museum. From the photos it seems to have moved. The building I remember is not what I see. That photo labeled something like 'older exhibit' certainly looks totally 'new' to me. While the collection I remember was fantastic, the building was an old and cramped one - no natural light, no glass-enclosed areas - no new stairs. Anyway, what is important are the minerals and the people.....

Well put Peter, but Harvard has a lot of good people too, so what was the motivation for the choice?

― George Orwell

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 17:55    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

I noted that in the 2018 International Ranking of the best Universities Yale fell into 12th place. Harvard was rated 6th best overall.

Was Harvard approached about holding such Mineralogical Symposia? If so did they decline?

― George Orwell

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 18:33    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

I believe Stefan and Co took it upon themselves to organize this marvelous symposium....there was no intercollegiate rivalry involved, just a sincere desire to rekindle interest in their important collection, both within Yale and the overall mineral community. Where else can you see Dana's personal copy of his 1st edition on mineralogy...or see his rock hammer and compass!!

David Friend opened the floodgates there by ramrodding renovation of a fraction of the Peabody and now the entire museum will be expanded and updated...a great testament to what vision and some seed funding can accomplish.

We can only hope someone does the same for Harvard...or Michigan State, or the University of Arizona...

20181022_173411.jpg
 Mineral: Stephanite
 Dimensions: 12 x 6 x 4
 Description:
 Viewed:  23765 Time(s)

20181022_173411.jpg

20181021_073328.jpg
 Description:
JD Dana's field hammer and compass
 Viewed:  23779 Time(s)

20181021_073328.jpg

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 20:19    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Peter Megaw wrote:
I believe Stefan and Co took it upon themselves to organize this marvelous symposium..there was no intercollegiate rivalry involved, just a sincere desire to rekindle interest in their important collection, both within Yale and the overall mineral community. Where else can you see Dana's personal copy of his 1st edition on mineralogy...or see his rock hammer and compass!!

David Friend opened the floodgates there by ramrodding renovation of a fraction of the Peabody and now the entire museum will be expanded and updated...a great testament to what vision and some seed funding can accomplish.

We can only hope someone does the same for Harvard...or Michigan State, or the University of Arizona...

No intercollegiate rivalry intended but when one makes a substantial donation or loan, one often seeks the best place to do so. Should I bequeath or loan some of my treasures to Cambridge or Oxford for example.

Michigan State, or the University of Arizona are fine Institutions, but they are not up there with the best. UOA was ranked 159th in the world, and 217th in the US, but it does attract a lot of very attractive young women and that is a plus in my book.

Michigan State ranked 93rd in the world and 89th in the US – a little better but still not in the top 10.

― George Orwell

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 20:34    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

I personally think we are now off the forum's focus of discussing minerals and mineral topics. This thread should go no further.......BOB

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 20:49    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Bob Harman wrote:
I personally think we are now off the forum's focus of discussing minerals and mineral topics. This thread should go no further.......BOB

Well put Bob. More than happy to co-operate!

On the subject of minerals do you have a collections’ page. I am keen to see your focus in the world of minerals.

RA

― George Orwell

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 21:31    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Living in Indiana, just minutes from the University and a well known Midwest collecting site, my focus is Indiana minerals. Indiana is one state where a persistent collector with financial means can actually accrue a fairly complete collection of display quality examples.

To see some of them on this website, go to the "mineralogical trip thru the states of the USA -- Indiana" thread and you will see some. I have displayed in several venues, had some pictured in the Min Rec Midwest Collections supplement (2015) under the Indiana State Museum pages which I partially underwrote and donated several hi quality examples that were pictured in the supplement and are now on permanent display in the museum.

By the way, in your posting of the other day, discussing the Min Rec, I too was approached in 2015. I, however, was also approached by the Indiana State Museum so I underwrote their pages and donated several specimens that were pictured in the supplement as part of their pages and are pictured on this website as discussed above.
I can discuss the donation/Min Rec supplement experience more if you would like; maybe tomorrow. BOB

Recovering - Academic

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2018 22:09    Post subject: Re: The collectors and the Museums of Minerals  

Bob Harman wrote:
Living in Indiana, just minutes from the University and a well known Midwest collecting site, my focus is Indiana minerals. Indiana is one state where a persistent collector with financial means can actually accrue a fairly complete collection of display quality examples.

To see some of them on this website, go to the "mineralogical trip thru the states of the USA -- Indiana" thread and you will see some. I have displayed in several venues, had some pictured in the Min Rec Midwest Collections supplement (2015) under the Indiana State Museum pages which I partially underwrote and donated several hi quality examples that were pictured in the supplement and are now on permanent display in the museum.

By the way, in your posting of the other day, discussing the Min Rec, I too was approached in 2015. I, however, was also approached by the Indiana State Museum so I underwrote their pages and donated several specimens that were pictured in the supplement as part of their pages and are pictured on this website as discussed above.
I can discuss the donation/Min Rec supplement experience more if you would like; maybe tomorrow. BOB

Thank you Bob!

My contact was not happy about being asked to ‘fork-out’ $500USD per page to have his minerals displayed in the Mineralogical Record. He felt it was just too much money for the sake of bragging, as the MR wanted only high-end (whatever that means) minerals to be photographed by Scovil – no commercial stock. I think MR is planning a new Arizona-2 Publication for release early next year.

Many people ask me how I can do all that I do on a superannuation pension (401k Plan in the US). That is easy!

I do not smoke tobacco.
I do not drink alcohol.
I do not eat take-away food.
I do not waste money on consumer garbage.
I do not watch TV.

This is not a religious thing just a matter of thrift and setting priorities.

I have been lucky to make the acquaintance of a few vendors in the USA who put me onto contacts in Mexico, China and other places. Sometimes I just get lucky and see a bargain.

― George Orwell

Index -> Worlwide Museums & Visits to Museums and private collections   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: