We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 Jun-17:28:53 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
23 Jun-16:11:20 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Jun-14:55:20 Re: collection of michael shaw (Don Lum)
23 Jun-14:02:34 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
23 Jun-11:30:23 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
23 Jun-08:59:08 Re: collecting quartz on the little falls dolostone (Vic Rzonca)
23 Jun-06:26:55 Re: franjungle collection (Firmo Espinar)
23 Jun-01:19:20 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
22 Jun-14:09:13 Sainte-marie-aux-mines 2019 - it's already here (Jordi Fabre)
21 Jun-17:26:16 Re: amethyst and...? (Linus)
21 Jun-15:29:17 Re: collection of annemieke en rob schnerr (Rob Schnerr)
21 Jun-14:23:22 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
21 Jun-12:30:25 Re: collection of annemieke en rob schnerr (Rob Schnerr)
21 Jun-02:09:18 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Jun-01:35:49 Re: collection of annemieke en rob schnerr (Tobi)
20 Jun-18:28:18 Re: locality question regarding moroccan calcite (Tar4ntula)
20 Jun-11:18:33 Re: amethyst and...? (Mathias)
20 Jun-07:01:55 Re: collection of annemieke en rob schnerr (Rob Schnerr)
20 Jun-04:30:00 Re: a potpourri of musings....barely related to minerals. (Alfredo)
19 Jun-20:48:46 Re: fake ruby? (John Betts)
19 Jun-20:20:29 Re: cleaning nifontovite (Linus)
19 Jun-20:00:35 Re: cleaning nifontovite (Peter Megaw)
19 Jun-16:17:25 Amethyst and...? (Linus)
19 Jun-09:17:29 Re: collection of annemieke en rob schnerr (Rob Schnerr)
19 Jun-08:52:18 Re: fake ruby? (Bob Carnein)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 24, 2019 16:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Noob....need a little guidance here...

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

MedIKate

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 01:39    Post subject: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

All I know or at least think I know is that these are agates..... Can someone point me into the direction of more info? Like anything relevant that seems itself apart from another or what classifies it? I really got nothing...

20181029_182144.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2026 Time(s)

20181029_182144.jpg

20181029_182024.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2027 Time(s)

20181029_182024.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 03:09    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

These are geodes, the shell is agate and the crystals inside are amethyst, these specimens are most likely from Brazil ...

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 04:37    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

You have MEXICAN (sorry TOBI they are not from Brazil!) Las Choyas geodes from Chihuahua State. They are often called coconut geodes as their outer rind vaguely resembles a coconut rind. Within the central cavity a light purple amethyst quartz is present. They are NOT considered agates. Nice examples. These are commonly available on auction sites such as eBay. BOB

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 05:14    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

This might be a good time to discuss the similarities and differences between an AGATE and a GEODE.

The AGATE and GEODE are close cousins, but for classification, are usually considered separately. Both are rock structures usually composed of microcrystalline quartz with a druzy lining of quartz crystal tips in a hollow cavity, if one is present. Calcite geodes and celestine geodes (Madagascar) also occur. An AGATE has banded or lacy microcrystalline quartz patterns of differing colors. It is most often solid, or if there is a central cavity, it is small. Agates are most often found where other agates are found and often in igneous environments.
GEODES, on the other hand, are often hollow with a larger cavity. They can, however, be solid, but their rind doesn't usually show a prominent banding pattern. Geodes often contain secondary minerals along with the druzy quartz in their central cavity. Geodes are found both in igneous and sedimentary environments and usually where other geodes are found.
Agates and geodes usually are not found side by side in the same locations; more commonly it is one or the other at the individual location.
It is important to state that there are occasional intermediate forms between the two, making classification difficult, however the Mexican forms as seen in this posting, are considered geodes as the banding patterns in their rind is not prominent and their cavities are large and prominent.
BOB

Tobi

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 05:43    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Bob, maybe we have different understandings of the term "geode", so I don't get your point:

I did not mix up the terms agate (which is a variety of chalcedony and thus a mineral species name) and geode (which means a hollow rock structure and thus refers to a certain form), this is like explaining the "difference" between a cow and a four-legged animal ;-)

I don't understand what you mean with "intermediate forms" between these two completely different concepts. An agate can be part of a geode but can also occur in other forms. And a geode may contain agate, but is also a geode when it consists of other minerals.

And sorry not to agree in this point: You say these specimen are not considered agate, but what is the grey rind that surrounds them? I'm quite sure this is agate (similiar to those from the typical Brazilian amethyst geodes) ...

Regards,
Tobi

Bob Harman wrote:
You have MEXICAN (sorry TOBI they are not from Brazil!) Las Choyas geodes from Chihuahua State. They are often called coconut geodes as their outer rind vaguely resembles a coconut rind. Within the central cavity a light purple amethyst quartz is present. They are NOT considered agates. Nice examples. These are commonly available on auction sites such as eBay.
This might be a good time to discuss the similarities and differences between an AGATE and a GEODE.
The AGATE and GEODE are close cousins, but for classification, are usually considered separately. Both are rock structures usually composed of microcrystalline quartz with a druzy lining of quartz crystal tips in a hollow cavity, if one is present. Calcite geodes and celestine geodes (Madagascar) also occur. An AGATE has banded or lacy microcrystalline quartz patterns of differing colors. It is most often solid, or if there is a central cavity, it is small. Agates are most often found where other agates are found and often in igneous environments. GEODES, on the other hand, are often hollow with a larger cavity. They can, however, be solid, but their rind doesn't usually show a prominent banding pattern. Geodes often contain secondary minerals along with the druzy quartz in their central cavity. Geodes are found both in igneous and sedimentary environments and usually where other geodes are found. Agates and geodes usually are not found side by side in the same locations; more commonly it is one or the other at the individual location. It is important to state that there are occasional intermediate forms between the two, making classification difficult, however the Mexican forms as seen in this posting, are considered geodes as the banding patterns in their rind is not prominent and their cavities are large and prominent.
BOB

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 05:52    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Tobi wrote:
I did not mix up the terms agate (which is a variety of chalcedony and thus a mineral species name)...

Can't find the species chalcedony in the IMA list. Are you sure?

Tobi

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 06:05    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Carles Millan wrote:
Tobi wrote:
I did not mix up the terms agate (which is a variety of chalcedony and thus a mineral species name)...
Can't find the species chalcedony in the IMA list. Are you sure?
At least "agate" is a mineral name and refers to a certain kind of microcrystalline quartz (no matter if the IMA lists it or not), it is not a structural description like "geode". Just wanted to point out the difference because I'm confused about Bob's post in which a certain name and a general description are mixed up ...

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 09:02    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Tobi wrote:
Bob, maybe we have different understandings of the term "geode", so I don't get your point:

I did not mix up the terms agate (which is a variety of chalcedony and thus a mineral species name) and geode (which means a hollow rock structure and thus refers to a certain form), this is like explaining the "difference" between a cow and a four-legged animal ;-)

I don't understand what you mean with "intermediate forms" between these two completely different concepts. An agate can be part of a geode but can also occur in other forms. And a geode may contain agate, but is also a geode when it consists of other minerals.

And sorry not to agree in this point: You say these specimen are not considered agate, but what is the grey rind that surrounds them? I'm quite sure this is agate (similiar to those from the typical Brazilian amethyst geodes) ...

Regards,
Tobi

Bob Harman wrote:
You have MEXICAN (sorry TOBI they are not from Brazil!) Las Choyas geodes from Chihuahua State. They are often called coconut geodes as their outer rind vaguely resembles a coconut rind. Within the central cavity a light purple amethyst quartz is present. They are NOT considered agates. Nice examples. These are commonly available on auction sites such as eBay.
The AGATE and GEODE are close cousins, but for classification, are usually considered separately. Both are rock structures usually composed of microcrystalline quartz with a druzy lining of quartz crystal tips in a hollow cavity, if one is present. Calcite geodes and celestine geodes (Madagascar) also occur. An AGATE has banded or lacy microcrystalline quartz patterns of differing colors. It is most often solid, or if there is a central cavity, it is small. Agates are most often found where other agates are found and often in igneous environments. GEODES, on the other hand, are often hollow with a larger cavity. They can, however, be solid, but their rind doesn't usually show a prominent banding pattern. Geodes often contain secondary minerals along with the druzy quartz in their central cavity. Geodes are found both in igneous and sedimentary environments and usually where other geodes are found. Agates and geodes usually are not found side by side in the same locations; more commonly it is one or the other at the individual location. It is important to state that there are occasional intermediate forms between the two, making classification difficult, however the Mexican forms as seen in this posting, are considered geodes as the banding patterns in their rind is not prominent and their cavities are large and prominent.
BOB

I think from my reading my two learned friends here (Bob and Tobi) are pretty much in agreement, although Tobi points out the important distinction that "geode" is a descriptive term and "Agate" is a mineralogical term for a member of the microcrystalline quartz family.
Having said that, I disagree with Tobi that in this particular case the "rind" can be classified as an agate. It shows very little sign of being deposited in a coherent way with distinct banding other than a millimetre or two at the base of the crystalline layer in the larger geode that I think could be the beginnings of macrocrystal growth. The smaller geode has no sign even of that. I would interpret the majority of the rind to be essentially an alteration product of the original matrix, which has been cemented by silica presumably in the very early stages of stabilization of the cavity. I would therefore join the side of the Geodesists here, rather than the Agatomanes.

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 09:57    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Chalcedony is a form of quartz, as are agates, jasper, aventurine, amethyst, citrine, smoky quartz, and even tiger's eye, which is a quartz replacement of crocidolite. Did I forget any?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 10:42    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Not sure about this and it may be semantics, but there is (to me) a big difference if a field collector comes to you and says "I found an agate" or if the collector says "I found agate".

One statement (again to me) implies a rock structure while the other statement implies knowledge of the microcrystalline quartz makeup of the find.

If you agree with this interpretation of "an agate" vs "agate", then my original posting seems (again to me) seems correct. YES?? NO??

Anyway the shown Mexican examples have always been referred to as geodes because they have a large cavity, relatively little banding in their rinds and often contain secondary minerals in the cavity.
BOB

Tobi

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 10:53    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Hi Bob,

after reading your last post, I think we maybe had a linguistic problem, not a mineralogical one ;-) I didn't know that (in English) there's a difference between "agate" and "an agate". I assumed that there was only one meaning and that "agate" always refers to microcrystalline quartz, didn't know there is a colloquial meaning that refers to a geode ...

I took my native language as a basis where "Achat" (agate) always means the microcrystalline quartz and "Geode" means a hollow rock structure filled with crystals ...

Regards,
Tobi

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2018 11:02    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

I'm an American and English speaker and I don't see any difference between agate and an agate.

Dale

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2018 10:13    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Agate is a noun so I do not see any difference. All I can think of is that maybe, like 'sheep', it could be both a singular noun or a plural one and 'I found agate' is is the plural noun form?

Josele

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2018 11:14    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Coming back to the original question, I think that a proper name for these samples could be underdevelloped agate
To me, all agates are geodes (or were in a primary state, later collapsed) but not all geodes are agate...

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2018 16:46    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Josele wrote:
Coming back to the original question, I think that a proper name for these samples could be underdevelloped agate
To me, all agates are geodes (or were in a primary state, later collapsed) but not all geodes are agate...

I have to disagree with Josele, not all agates are geodes.
The first picture show a slice of a so-called "blue lace agate", it can be seen that the sample, defined by its upper and lower boundaries, is quite flat. The second picture is of a thin (+/- 1 cm) agate self-collected in a rock fissure, also flat.

I do concur with Tobi in the sense that "geode" is a morphological term.

M065.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1492 Time(s)

M065.JPG

M196.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  1495 Time(s)

M196.JPG

Josele

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2018 20:43    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

Vinoterapia wrote:
I have to disagree with Josele, not all agates are geodes.
I do concur with Tobi in the sense that "geode" is a morphological term.
Touché!
...Or maybe your flat agate is the exception that confirms the rule? ;-)

I also understand geode as a morphological / structural term.

Regarding semantics, as language cognate curiosity, let me note that in English geode implies a rounded shape but in Spanish refers to any kind of vug filled of crystalline matter, as is yet noted in Mindat Agate Page (last paragraph) and is defined by the Real Academia Española. I don't know if in others latin-root languages geode implies or not a rounded shape.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2018 03:06    Post subject: Re: Noob....need a little guidance here...  

I have always translated 'geoda' as either 'geode' or 'pocket' and I work out which to use from the context. Checking on Linguee (the site the professional translators I know prefer, as it gives examples) I see that most people translate 'geode'->'geoda' while some do 'geoda'->'geode' while others do 'geoda'->'pocket'. It all depends on the context, but the simple cognate is not perfect both ways.

Maybe 'geode' is 'geoda redonda', which appears in some Linguee examples.

Weirdly, I would never use 'geoda'->'vug' but that may be a personal preference. I see 'cyst' has also been used for 'geoda' in Linguee

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: