We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw
 

Spanish message board






Newest topics and users posts
23 Mar-17:02:47 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
23 Mar-16:38:41 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (J. G. Alcolea)
23 Mar-15:44:36 Tucson show 2019 - the new discoveries (1) - revision (Jordi Fabre)
23 Mar-13:29:05 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-09:47:26 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Tony L. Potucek)
23 Mar-05:22:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
23 Mar-02:39:33 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
22 Mar-18:15:33 Re: franjungle collection (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-14:54:36 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
22 Mar-13:41:20 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Fiebre Verde)
22 Mar-13:27:25 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Riccardo Modanesi)
22 Mar-13:23:29 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Tobi)
22 Mar-13:16:51 Re: collection of philippe durand (Tobi)
22 Mar-13:00:48 Re: collection of philippe durand (Pierre Joubert)
22 Mar-12:44:16 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
22 Mar-12:02:13 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Vic Rzonca)
22 Mar-09:42:57 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Tobi)
22 Mar-08:52:34 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (James Catmur)
22 Mar-08:22:59 Re: women's private collection sub-forum (Dontgogreen)
21 Mar-21:38:55 Re: stump the experts! what is it. (Matt_zukowski)
21 Mar-21:24:54 Re: stump the experts! what is it. (Catahoula)
21 Mar-21:23:43 Re: stump the experts! what is it. (Catahoula)
21 Mar-21:22:26 Re: common opal cluster (Catahoula)
21 Mar-21:19:19 Stump the experts! what is it. (Catahoula)
21 Mar-21:17:22 Re: common opal cluster (Peter Megaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here


RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

Like
52984


The time now is Mar 24, 2019 05:50

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Calcite? (from Tsumeb)
  
  Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?
Like
13


View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Pierre Joubert




Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 1595
Location: Western Cape


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2018 12:28    Post subject: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Tsumeb


P1400264.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite (?)
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 67 x 47 x 43 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  887 Time(s)

P1400264.JPG



P1400260.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite (?)
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 67 x 47 x 43 mm
 Description:
Same specimen
 Viewed:  885 Time(s)

P1400260.JPG



P1400261.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite (?)
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 67 x 47 x 43 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  889 Time(s)

P1400261.JPG



_________________
Pierre Joubert


'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
8
   

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 4257
Location: Barcelona


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 11:12    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

I believe it could be either Calcite or Smithsonite. Please try with a small piece to submerge it in a 10 % dilute HCl. If it fizzes quick then it could be Calcite, if it doesn't fizz and dissolve very slowly (over one day or so) then it could be Smithsonite.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin



Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Posts: 615
Location: Alaska


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 11:48    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Could it also be aragonite? Look at this picture: https://www.mindat.org/photo-69326.html

As Jordi says, the next step is fizzing it. Do be careful to know what is fizzing - there can be calcite coatings over other minerals that fizz readily, even when the vast majority of the specimen is not calcite.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Pierre Joubert




Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 1595
Location: Western Cape


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 12:22    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
I believe it could be either Calcite or Smithsonite. Please try with a small piece to submerge it in a 10 % dilute HCl. If it fizzes quick then it could be Calcite, if it doesn't fizz and dissolve very slowly (over one day or so) then it could be Smithsonite.


Thank you Jordi, it does fizz.
Thank you Matt, I must say, the specimen you referred to, looks a lot like mine.

_________________
Pierre Joubert


'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum



Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 4257
Location: Barcelona


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 13:19    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:
I believe it could be either Calcite or Smithsonite. Please try with a small piece to submerge it in a 10 % dilute HCl. If it fizzes quick then it could be Calcite, if it doesn't fizz and dissolve very slowly (over one day or so) then it could be Smithsonite.

Thank you Jordi, it does fizz.
Thank you Matt, I must say, the specimen you referred to, looks a lot like mine.

Pierre,

Enlarging the images it seems to me to see well formed rhombohedral crystals. Please check it with a magnifier glass and if this is the case we can finally label it as Calcite and you can publish again in your collection thread as Calcite. Otherwise Aragonite is a reasonable option.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Debbie Woolf




Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 166
Location: Kent


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 13:48    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Hi Pierre

As I have a calcite specimen very similar to the one on mindat mentioned here, I've now changed that from aragonite to calcite.
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   

Pierre Joubert




Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 1595
Location: Western Cape


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2018 14:16    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Debbie Woolf wrote:
Hi Pierre

As I have a calcite specimen very similar to the one on mindat mentioned here, I've now changed that from aragonite to calcite.

Hi Debbie, what makes you so sure that it is calcite and not aragonite? How can I be sure it is the one and not the other?

_________________
Pierre Joubert


'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Pierre Joubert




Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 1595
Location: Western Cape


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2018 15:03    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:
I believe it could be either Calcite or Smithsonite. Please try with a small piece to submerge it in a 10 % dilute HCl. If it fizzes quick then it could be Calcite, if it doesn't fizz and dissolve very slowly (over one day or so) then it could be Smithsonite.

Thank you Jordi, it does fizz.
Thank you Matt, I must say, the specimen you referred to, looks a lot like mine.

Pierre,

Enlarging the images it seems to me to see well formed rhombohedral crystals. Please check it with a magnifier glass and if this is the case we can finally label it as Calcite and you can publish again in your collection thread as Calcite. Otherwise Aragonite is a reasonable option.

Sorry Jordi, I missed this entry of yours. I will do so when I find time. Best regards.

_________________
Pierre Joubert


'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
   

Pierre Joubert




Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 1595
Location: Western Cape


Access to the FMF Gallery title=

View user's profile

Send private message

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2018 04:32    Post subject: Re: Calcite? (from Tsumeb)  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:
Pierre Joubert wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:
I believe it could be either Calcite or Smithsonite. Please try with a small piece to submerge it in a 10 % dilute HCl. If it fizzes quick then it could be Calcite, if it doesn't fizz and dissolve very slowly (over one day or so) then it could be Smithsonite.

Thank you Jordi, it does fizz.
Thank you Matt, I must say, the specimen you referred to, looks a lot like mine.

Pierre,

Enlarging the images it seems to me to see well formed rhombohedral crystals. Please check it with a magnifier glass and if this is the case we can finally label it as Calcite and you can publish again in your collection thread as Calcite. Otherwise Aragonite is a reasonable option.

Sorry Jordi, I missed this entry of yours. I will do so when I find time. Best regards.


They do appear to be rhombohedral and I did find some tiny terminations resembling calcite. The light green colour is interesting. It is almost certainly not dolomite as it fizzes violently. I have a similar specimen that I will show. Best regards



P1430139.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 53 x 44 x 30 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  467 Time(s)

P1430139.JPG



_________________
Pierre Joubert


'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Back to top
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Like
1
   
Display posts from previous:   
   Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
    

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


All pictures, text, design © Forum FMF 2006-2019


Powered by FMF