We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:18

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Women's private collection sub-forum
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Forum questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Richard Arseneau

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2019 18:40    Post subject: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Greetings, I have been posting regularly on the forum for the last few weeks. My wife shares my passion for mineral collecting and is interested in the things we have been learning regarding locality and crystal habits, etc.

She was thinking about creating her own account, mainly to ask questions about minerals she has acquired. We don't always share the same taste in specimens, which just makes it more fun.

After looking over the forum she had a question I had no good answer to. The question is, why are the collection sub-forums segregated by male and female?

I assume it is a bit like my profession, computer programming. At the moment, in North America at least, it is a male-dominated field. However, it was not always so, in the past, women were among the vanguard of the field. Women are now actively encouraged to learn computer science, but I can't imagine any section, of any forum regarding computer or data science, separating the contributions of men and women.

We would love to hear your thoughts on this separation.

Sincerely,
Richard & Jensa Arseneau
Reply to topic Reply with quote

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2019 19:05    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

I find no reason to make the distinction, Jensa and Richard. It seems a bit obsolete. I await your entries under any title.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2019 19:28    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

There is no segregation...the women's subforum was started by women to encourage more women to collect.

Cyndi Lauper said it best.... Girls just want to have fun

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 12:57    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

As said before, there is no segregation in this forum, but it's an interesting question why most mineral collectors are men. Sure, there are VERY prominent examples for women who influenced the mineral community with their impressive and valuable collections (e.g. Terra Mineralia founder Erika Pohl-Ströher, Carolyn Manchester or our fellow member Gail), but I would guess that more than 90% of the collectors of fine minerals are male.

Any idea why?

My wife has also no interest in minerals, though she is a chemistry teacher. She likes the mineral display in the living room and the also likes some colourful minerals like cavansite or rhodochrosite, but she would not collect minerals ;-)

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 13:03    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Tobi, Perhaps it's because the desire to "collect" stuff, whether it be rocks, sports memorabilia, or whatever, is actually a kind of mental disorder, slightly more respectable than being a chronic "hoarder", but a disorder nevertheless, and women are more resistant ;))

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 13:26    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

alfredo wrote:
Tobi, Perhaps it's because the desire to "collect" stuff, whether it be rocks, sports memorabilia, or whatever, is actually a kind of mental disorder, slightly more respectable than being a chronic "hoarder", but a disorder nevertheless, and women are more resistant ;))

That would make sense, my wife is the same amount of crazy as myself. Which is why I married her :)

The women's collection sub-forum makes a lot more sense knowing it was started by women. Segregation may have been a poor choice of words. We were really just curious more than anything.

Thanks

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 14:11    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

It has been postulized that there, indeed, is a "collector gene". Further postulized is that it is from when primitive man was a hunter gatherer. The men hunted and gathered while the women were having and raising the children. Anecdotal research on several fronts suggests this, but I am not sure whether any formal research has been done.

There are far more male stamp collectors, coin collectors and many other type "hobby" collectors than female collectors. Either a male or a female, you either have the "collector" gene and collect many types of collectibles over your lifetime or don't have the gene and are largely uninterested in collecting anything. A higher % of males, than females seem to have the "collector gene". There is some socialogical and anthropological literature on all this. Bob

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 14:30    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Hi to everybody!
As the biggest majority of you should know, I'm a gemmologist and a mineral collector since 1973, but... I live in a country (maybe the ONLY one) where the majority of gemmologists are women! And I can quote one who wrote several books of this science: Speranza Cavenago Bignami! She was an institution in our mineralogy and gemmology world! Then... how could I forget so important personalities like Antoinette Bonanno and Barbra Voltaire?
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 14:47    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

This was the very first post back in 2008

https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=1054#1054

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 14:50    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Any theories about collector genes/disorders, etc. must also account for those other animal species that enjoy collecting useless shiny objects, like the packrats, and crows. Much as we humans may think we are special, I suspect that the evolved tendency to collect objects as seen in corvids, packrats and homo not-so-sapiens probably has a common origin. Perhaps, like birds, we collect stuff to impress potential mates? ...which would explain why mostly males do it. Come to think of that, does anyone happen to know whether there is a gender bias in crows and ravens with regard to collecting stuff? Are both sexes doing it?

(And I'm still cross about the crow that brazenly "collected" my loupe at a quarry in Japan ;))

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 16:51    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

I have long believed that the most fundamental difference between humans transcends gender, race, geography, religion, economic status, and sexual orientation...it is the presence or absence of the squirrel gene. I am delighted to learn there may be some science behind that...even more so if it has primordial links to distantly related organisms.

It is not what you collect that matters, it is that you collect, so there is no fundamental difference between gathering bright shiny objects versus less visually attractive objects like books or music..or ephemeral things like wine...or nuts? If we include clothes, shoes, teacups, jewelry, tools, toys, or guitars, few are free...suggesting the gene is very dominant.

I would further posit that how you collect (accumulator/hoarder vs organized collector) is merely a manifestation of your personal awareness of your squirrel status, so perhaps there is room for debate whether conscious, organized collecting is more a sign of mental disturbance than blind accumulation?

As the undoubted possessor of double dominant squirrel genes, I recognize the syndrome and the fact that having 3 of anything is the potential beginning of another collection. If we take 3 as the magic threshold it means only actively aware nonsquirrels or antisquirrels are completely free of the syndrome. Evidently resistance is close to futile.

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 17:00    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

I find it interesting that as a collector myself, I have had many different collections in my life but never at the same time. I have collected stamps, coins, books, music, even photography is a type of collecting in my opinion, but I have always had a laser-like focus on one at a time.

Richard

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 18:19    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Peter, If 3 specimens is the minimum for a "collection", then I think a "collector" can only have between 3 and 5 specimens, because Rock Currier used to say that anyone who had 6 specimens eventually became a dealer ;))

J. G. Alcolea

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 18:42    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

I have always been surprised that women in the English forum show their collections separately. In Spain it is unthinkable, absurd...

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 19:33    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

I have been a mineral dealer for many years now and find this topic rather interesting. From my observances through years of doing shows, I find that women represent a significantly larger number of my clientele than men. Having said that, there appears to be a significant distinction between what they purchase relative to each other.

In the end, they are all collectors regardless of their particular interest.

Tobi wrote:
As said before, there is no segregation in this forum, but it's an interesting question why most mineral collectors are men. Sure, there are VERY prominent examples for women who influenced the mineral community with their impressive and valuable collections (e.g. Terra Mineralia founder Erika Pohl-Ströher, Carolyn Manchester or our fellow member Gail), but I would guess that more than 90% of the collectors of fine minerals are male.

Any idea why?

My wife has also no interest in minerals, though she is a chemistry teacher. She likes the mineral display in the living room and the also likes some colourful minerals like cavansite or rhodochrosite, but she would not collect minerals ;-)

dontgogreen

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 08:22    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

alfredo wrote:
Come to think of that, does anyone happen to know whether there is a gender bias in crows and ravens with regard to collecting stuff? Are both sexes doing it?

The male satin bowerbird creates a nest called a bower and fills it with colored items. As they mature, they tend to focus on collecting items that are blue, whereas they can be more varied in their youth. In addition to displaying their collections, they also perform dances to attract a mate. So in this instance, the behavior manifests in males only, but they do not rely solely on their collection to attract attention. I suspect these birds would have enjoyed the Main Show in 2015 most of all.

bowerbird.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  27057 Time(s)

bowerbird.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 08:52    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Not totally true

J. G. Alcolea wrote:
I have always been surprised that women in the English forum show their collections separately. In Spain it is unthinkable, absurd...

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93989#93989

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 09:42    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

alfredo wrote:
That totally makes sense :-)

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 12:02    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Not a complete list and not gender specific. I haven't found a noun for our particular problem. We need a noun. A little off topic, I know.

Arenophile: beach sand
Brandophilist: cigar bands
Entredentolignumologist: toothpick boxes
Exlibrist: bookplates
Falerist: medals, badges, and pins
Grabatologist: neckties
Helixophile: corkscrews
Iconophile: book illustrations or engravings
Labeorphilist: beer bottles
Lotologist: lottery tickets
Pannapictagraphist: comic books
Paroemiographer: proverbs
Scutelliphile: souvenir patches and badges
Sucrologist: sugar packets
Tyrosemiophile: cheese labels arctophile: teddy bears
bibliopegist: fine book bindings
bibliophilist: books
cartophile: baseball cards
coleopterist: beetles
conchologist: sea shells
copocelphilist: key rings
deltiologist: postcards
dipterist: flies
dologist: bird eggs
lepidopterist: butterflies and moths
lexiconophilist: dictionaries
notaphilist: banknotes
numismatist: coins and banknotes
oologist: bird eggs
philatelist: stamps
philographist: autographs
phillumenist: matchboxes or matchbook labels
phonophile: vinyl records
plangonologist: dolls
scripophilist: old bond and share certificates
tegestologist: beer coaster
vectorist: subway tokens
vexillologist: flags or banners

marbles.jpg
 Description:
I'm sure I've lost a few.
 Viewed:  26916 Time(s)

marbles.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2019 13:23    Post subject: Re: Women's private collection sub-forum  

Thank you Vic, now I finally know that one who collects toothpick boxes is called entredentolignumologist - all my life I had to live without having a name for such people ;-)

Index -> Forum questions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: