We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Hematite and Quartz from China

Index -> Improving the FMF Data Base of localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2019 17:20    Post subject: Hematite and Quartz from China  

Richard Arseneau wrote:
Razor thin blades of Hematite on Quartz crystals that range from clear to slightly smokey in colour. The Hematite is so thin I am afraid to touch it.
Quartz, Hematite
Ganzhou, Jiangxi, China
Dimensions: 7 X 5.2 cm

Hi Richard, this is a very beautiful specimen from China (in Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau), but for sure not from Ganzhou or anywhere else in Jiangxi Province. These combinations of quartz with fragile hematite blades are from Guangdong, from Jinlong Hill (this is where the famous ones with vivid red or yellow coating are from) or from Lechang Mine. According to your photos, I'm more than sure that your specimen is from one of these two localities, the specimens are quite unique and distinctive. I think others here can confirm that.

Regards
Tobi
~~~~~
P.S: Just after my comment I saw the locality was changed to Jinlong Hill ;-)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2019 17:58    Post subject: Re: Hematite and Quartz from China  

That is interesting! I will certainly take the word of the knowledgeable people on this forum. I based the locality off of two specimen cards that came with the piece. A dealer who is both a geologist and avid collector obtained this specimen as part of a collection he recently purchased. Both cards say "Gan Zhou Mine, Province of JiangXi, China"

Thanks for the heads up, I will correct my records.

Richard

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2019 02:14    Post subject: Re: Hematite and Quartz from China  

Richard Arseneau wrote:
That is interesting! I will certainly take the word of the knowledgeable people on this forum. I based the locality off of two specimen cards that came with the piece. A dealer who is both a geologist and avid collector obtained this specimen as part of a collection he recently purchased. Both cards say "Gan Zhou Mine, Province of JiangXi, China"
Thanks for the heads up, I will correct my records.
Richard
Hi Richard, what you experienced is a problem that often occurs when Chinese minerals come to the (Western) market: There is many wrong or simply unknown locality information, thus the dealers often give wrong information because they want to sell their stuff and you know the old "rule": Better some random locality on a label than none at all ... :-(

The label you have is a typical example, it even features TWO mistakes: It is not only wrong that this Jinlong (or Lechang) specimen is from Ganzhou in Jiangxi Province, furthermore there is no "Ganzhou Mine", for Ganzhou is a whole district. There are several mines in this area, some are well-known like Xiefang Mine (famous for nice fluorites, golden barites and pyrite "balls") or the Dayu County with its several mines, but none of them produces similiar specimens like that. So I wonder that the former owner, when he's a geologist and avid collector, wasn't able to find out the correct locality for such a distinctive specimen. I guess he had no knowledge about Chinese minerals (or maybe he was not introduced in the use of the internet ;-)) because these specimens are actually distinctive.

However, you have the correct locality now, or at least the two possible ones, for it could also be from Lechang instead of Jinlong. You could label the locality simply as "Guangdong Province, China", this may be not very precise, but 100% correct :-)

Best regards
Tobi

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2019 07:08    Post subject: Re: Hematite and Quartz from China  

Thank you Tobi, this kind of information is the reason I love this forum. The dealer I bought from collects mainly Canadian minerals and often self-collected. So I suspect that the old card was just copied without any investigation.

Speaking of Canadian minerals, I have a couple of new specimens I will share when I get around to photographing them. :)

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2019 10:53    Post subject: Re: Hematite and Quartz from China  

Tobi wrote:
Richard Arseneau wrote:
Razor thin blades of Hematite on Quartz crystals that range from clear to slightly smokey in colour. The Hematite is so thin I am afraid to touch it.
Quartz, Hematite
Ganzhou, Jiangxi, China
Dimensions: 7 X 5.2 cm

Hi Richard, this is a very beatiful specimen from China (in Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau), but for sure not from Ganzhou or anywhere else in Jiangxi Province. These combinations of quartz with fragile hematite blades are from Guangdong, from Jinlong Hill (this is where the famous ones with vivid red or yellow coating are from) or from Lechang Mine. According to your photos, I'm more than sure that your specimen is from one of these two localities, the specimens are quite unique and distinctive. I think others here can confirm that....

This is an interesting topic and that's why I moved it to this right section "Improving the FMF Data Base of localities" created precisely to discuss these kinds of things in order to improve our localities data base.

In this case my vote is for Jinlong Hill but it is true, as Tobi well said, that the Lechang ones are not so different, so, to avoid errors I assigned it just to "Guangdong Province" (see: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=66727#66727 ) and with this we can be sure that no mistake is made.

Thanks Tobi (and Richard) to help to improve our data base.

Index -> Improving the FMF Data Base of localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: