We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I need help identifying my mineral collection
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 01:57    Post subject: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Here is the first specimen...

Unknown mineral.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32787 Time(s)

Unknown mineral.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 02:18    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

2 Bar A,

Welcome here. We can try to help you to identify specimens from your collection but, "quid pro quo", we would need some effort from your side. Please read this post explaining the basic rules to help to identify mineral specimens: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=124

Also it would be nice if you can introduce yourself as well as your mineral collections.

BTW, the first specimen posted is a Calcite from Mexico.

Jordi

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 02:35    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

My bad Jordi, thank you for the heads up! I have inherited a mineral collection 20 years ago, origin unknown. Most of the specimens are numbered but unfortunately there is no description for any of them except one....which I will include anyway just for the heck of it. (BTW: The last specimen measured 13cm x 7cm).

Capture_00021.JPG
 Description:
Ruby in Zoisite 9cm x 7cm approx.
 Viewed:  32760 Time(s)

Capture_00021.JPG

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 02:59    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

This next specimen is 7X4 cm and is absolutely beautiful. One of my favorites...

Unknown Mineral mag 1.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32793 Time(s)

Unknown Mineral mag 1.JPG

Unknown Mineral mag.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32828 Time(s)

Unknown Mineral mag.JPG

IMG_00271.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32744 Time(s)

IMG_00271.jpg

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 03:00    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow I will have many more for you to identify. Thank you for all your help so far....

Barbara

jorge santos garcia

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 04:20    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hello Barbara

This last specimen is dioptase over calcite rhombs. From Tsumeb Mine (Tsumcorp Mine), Tsumeb, Otjikoto (Oshikoto) Region, Namibia.

They are always amazing specimens, indeed.

Jorge

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 05:20    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hi Barbara,

what about the ruby? You want to know the location where it is from, i suppose? I know such rubys from Australia, India and even Norway, so it is difficult to find out :-/ Or is the locality known?

Carles Curto

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 05:48    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

The ruby in zoisite is from Londigo, Arusha, Kilimanjaro (reg.), Tanzània.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 06:10    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I believe that the Mexican Calcite is from Santa Eulalia district. Maybe Peter Megaw who know so well that area can confirm it and maybe also add the mine's name.

Jordi

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 08:48    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

The frist calcite is indeed from Santa Eulalia, Chihuahua, Mexico. Peter Megaw may have a specific mine name. These have been coming out for at least 50 years.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 08:49    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hey 2BarA, welcome to the FMF!!!

Congratulations on your inheritance. You (and I suspect we) will have fun figuring out just exactly what's what. As to your calcite (which is what we call a phantom calcite because there are phantoms of earlier calcites with a slightly different color within the younger calcite overgrowths), it is indeed from Santa Eulalia, Chihuahua, Mexico, a few hundred kilometres south of El Paso, Texas. These have been coming out for years now (by which I mean the miners have been bringing them out of the mine and selling them on the side, to make a little extra money. The calcites themselves are not ore, per se).

Peter Megaw will be able to tell you where in the mine the calcite originated. I've seen these things before, but it has been some years. Santa Eulalia is a big mine, very old, and minerals from different parts of the mine are distinctive in chemistry and hence, appearance.

Please keep the pictures coming, we all enjoy looking at each others' stuff. Again, welcome to the Forum.

Saludos,

Ed

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 11:51    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

WOW! I am gobsmacked! Thank you all for your replies. What a wealth of knowledge I have just tapped into. Ok, here's my next specimen...I have been experimenting with different lighting techniques to capture the beauty of these specimens. It is obvious I am a beginner but have started taking photography lessons so I can get better.

tourmaline1.jpg
 Description:
Tourmaline 9x5cm
 Viewed:  32655 Time(s)

tourmaline1.jpg

IMG_0022.JPG
 Description:
Tourmaline 9X5cm
 Viewed:  32642 Time(s)

IMG_0022.JPG

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 11:55    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

And here's the next one...

IMG_0036.JPG
 Description:
Tourmaline 8X4 cm
 Viewed:  32665 Time(s)

IMG_0036.JPG

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 11:56    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Elbaite almost certainly from Minas Gerais, Brazil

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 12:30    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

No sweats 2 Bars. Just send the two along, and if anyone says anything tell 'em "It's a stereopair".

By the way, nice tourmalines. Probably should call them "elbaites", but I'll leave that sort of nit-pickery to someone else. I like the way you backlit them.

Here are a few tourmalines in my collection, just as they sit on the shelf. The one on the right hand side, sort of orangeish-cranberry color is very similar to your "stereopair".

Keep 'em coming. And your photos are great! Artful, much better than my barely adequate snapshots.

Ed

Little tourmalines.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32595 Time(s)

Little tourmalines.JPG

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 12:53    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Ed, now you are just showing off. Since Arizona does not produce any good specimens of any of the tourmaline group minerals, I cannot follow Ed's lead and show you photos of our elbaites. Once you get to azurites, malachites and wulfenites, maybe we can reciprocate. Whatever we can do to help a new collector.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 13:06    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Yeah well, you're right Les. However, the orange-colored "tourmaline" came to me from Bruce Van Allen, and he was unable to provide a specific locality for it, other than "Minas Gerais". It's a big state. The thing deserves a separate photo and more attention, that's for sure. But I think that it and 2 Bar's specimen are from the same area if not the same mine. Maybe one of the South American locality experts can weigh in on this. How 'bout it Alfredo? Whomever? Any idea where these distinctive orange-red elbaites originate??

I'll post a few more photos of my little single crystal on my page a little later.

And please forgive the digression 2Bar. Sometimes I/we tend to get swept up in the discussion(s). Send more photos, we're all enjoying this very much.

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 14:07    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Wow Ed, those are breathtaking! Love the quick wit and all the information...okay, here's my next elbaite (hopefully the correct singular spelling) I believe it was once attached to the mica in photo #2, let me know what you think!

IMG_0041fx.jpg
 Description:
elbaite 3X1.5 (highlighting the mica in the specimen)
 Viewed:  32486 Time(s)

IMG_0041fx.jpg

IMG_0008.JPG
 Description:
Mica? 6X3cm
 Viewed:  32502 Time(s)

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0044fx.jpg
 Description:
elbaite 3X1.5
 Viewed:  32497 Time(s)

IMG_0044fx.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 14:44    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Don't know 2Bar. The mica looks like the lithium-rich mica called lepidolite. It occurs in San Diego county, right there in California. Tourmaline is found with this mica, usually as a variety called rubellite I think, although this name may no longer be in favor, perhaps replaced by lithium elbaite. I'm not sure.

However, I'm doubtful that the beautifully zoned elbaite (whose photo accompanies the mica) occurred on the lepidolite, as I believe they occurr in different zones in the pegmatites where they grew. Others with more experience than I have can weigh in here, and it'll be instructive to hear what they have to say. In the meantime, the elbaite that is pictured in the photo I sent to you earlier, the zoned specimen so similar to yours, came from the Pala Mine in San Diego county. So that gives you something for comparison. If you live in southern California, a field trip to the Fallbrook area is called for. You can meet many good dealers there, and see lots of fine minerals as well.

I see a trip to Tucson in your future, in February, 2010. Gail Spann has a topic string devoted to women in mineralogy or collecting, whatever, and there is much to be learned at that site. I cannot think of a better mentor for you.

But keep posting! Participation in the FMF seems to go in fits and starts, depending on everyone's availability and computer access. You'll be hearing from lots more folks in the next few days.

Keep up the good work.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 14:54    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

All good information from Ed for you. Elbaite is the species name for the green, blue (indicolite) and pink (rubellite) members of the Tourmaline group. I am probably going to get into trouble with some of the real mineralogists but that is how I understand the identification and nomenclature.

If you are ever in the Phoenix, we can get you around to see some of the collections in this area, which will include everything from tourmalines and beryls to rhodochrosite and what comes from the southwest, including Mexico.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 4
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: