We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:27

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I need help identifying my mineral collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Okay, but take a look at the base of the specimen in this picture, it matches exactly to the "mica"...

Copy (1) of IMG_0006fx.jpg
 Description:
elbaite 3X1.5
 Viewed:  21041 Time(s)

Copy (1) of IMG_0006fx.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 16:29    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Although I am not a big propronent of repaired specimens, please keep the mica intact on the base of the elbaite so it can be glued back onto the matrix. Also, the matrx can be trimmed to make it a more presentable. This has to be even better than Christmas for you. We are all sharing in the joy you are having as you unpack the collection. I can help you with the trimming at whatever point you are ready to consider that.

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 16:29    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

and one more shot from the bottom....

mica2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  21049 Time(s)

mica2.jpg

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 16:31    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I am having a blast too. Going out into the Danville sunshine now, will be back in a couple of hours. Till then, cheers!

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

What is the demension across the bottom of the elbaite? Don't forget to wear sunblock.

Ed Huskinson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Well, from the photos of the backside, it is self-evident that the elbaite was removed from the larger lepidolite host matrix. Proof positive, particularly if there is a spot on the matrix where the elbaite fits perfectly. So I've learned something today, and I thank you for it. Listen to Les about the matrix thing.

Enjoy the sunshine, then send us more pix. These postings are diversions from my weariful typing, and it's nice to be able to get away from it every hour or so.

Now you need to check the local library to see whether they carry the magazine "Mineralogical Record". If not, then try the nearest college. One with a federal repository will have it for sure. A subscription is strongly recommended, regardless.

Later,

Ed

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 17:59    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Ed and Les:

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Elbaite is indeed often red, green or blue, but so is liddicoatite. Elbaite is the most common colorful tourmaline species; rubellite, indicolite, etc. are simply color varieties and could be either elbaite or liddicoatite, although the latter is far more rare than the former.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 11, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Yeah John, I know. In the absence of a sword, I should fall on my Swiss Army Knife. I'm prepping everything to submit THE THING this evening. Thanks for the input.

Ed

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Good morning Les, the measurement across the bottom of the elbaite is 2cm. :-)

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:20    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I located the Mineralogical Record with my local online library and can view any issue right from my computer, very cool! I also have their website saved in my favorites folder. Thank you Ed for the recommendation.

[10:59] 2 Bar A: I am looking for a magazine called Mineralogical Record, do you have this?
[11:00] librarian: i will check our catalog
[11:00] 2 Bar A: Thank you
[11:02] librarian: I don't see this title in our catalog, i will check our databases to see if it is listed there. Do you need a particular date?
[11:03] librarian: I found full-text coverage of this title in Academic OneFile.
[11:03] librarian: Mar 1, 1990 - Current
[11:06] librarian: Is this useful?
[11:07] 2 Bar A: yes
[11:07] 2 Bar A: thank you so much
[11:08] 2 Bar A: how do I access the Academic OneFile? Is it in your library in Danville?
[11:11] librarian: you can access Academic OneFile at the library or from home. From home, you will need to enter your library card number.
[11:11] librarian: I will send you a link to the resource.
[11:11] librarian: Academic OneFile is the first resource listed from this link
[11:11] librarian: http(://)ccclib(.)org(/)researchcenter(/)
[11:11] librarian: When I was in Academic OneFile, I did a publication search on the Mineralogical Record.
[11:11] librarian: Depending on what you are looking for, you can do an Advanced search, etc.
[11:13] librarian: Thank you for using the LIbrary!

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:24    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Back to the collection, I have about 130 more pieces to identify, so here goes...

IMG_0113.JPG
 Description:
Calcite? 5X2.5 cm (labeled #8)
 Viewed:  20939 Time(s)

IMG_0113.JPG

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Yep. Calcite. That's what I'd call it. Looks zoned. If you would be so kind as to post a photograph of the entire specimen one of us will be able to tell you where it's from. That should do it. If not, then a shot of the backside so we can see the matrix is called for.

This is fun, eh?

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:54    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Here is another view of #8

Specimen #8 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20869 Time(s)

Specimen #8 1.jpg

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:55    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Totally fun!

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 12, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

And the other side

Specimen #8.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20914 Time(s)

Specimen #8.jpg

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 13, 2009 08:58    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I had to leave something for John to comment on. I had not forgotten about liddicotite but just wanted to start the discussion about getting away from using tourmaline all of the time.

This calcite is going to be a bit tougher for a locality. Just keep them coming. My comments about trimming the lepidolite matrix were made before I checked the dimensions. The lepidolite probably does not need trimming but if the elbaite fits back on without any gaps then I recommend it be repaired.

Yes, this is fun, especially being out of touch for day and catching up on all of the activity.

Singingstone48

PostPosted: May 13, 2009 16:50    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hi,
You said you inherited this collection, correct? Many of us may be curious to know who the collector was and where he lived, and some of us might even know him. The specimens you have posted so far are better than you see in many mineral collections and show some care and intent in collecting. I'm not sure I completely understood your post. Did you inherit this collection 20 years ago? Or was the collection put together then and you just inherited it now? Just curious. Someday my daughter will have my collection, and I hope to leave it to her with the majority of the specimens catalogued and identified.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: May 13, 2009 16:58    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Steve, you read my mind. Thanks for asking all of the questions that inquiring minds want to know. This sure beats looking at another collection where the lady owned a gift shop and broke off all of the crystals to sell as trinkets.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 13, 2009 21:56    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hey everybody!!

I have something in my collection that is this calcite's twin bother. Or sister. But I cannot find lay my hand to it at the moment because it's buried in the mineral room somewhere. By buried I mean it would take a trackhoe with a 2 yard bucket and 18 ft reach to unearth it.

Here however, is a picture of one from the same area of the mine (Thanks Steve!!). It's from the Mariposa Mine, California Hill, Terlingua Mercury District, Brewster County, Texas. This one came to grass (as Bob Jones likes to say) easily, because I have it in my systematic collection under carbonates/calcite. It's a phantom with a bit of clayish material deposited on an interior plane. The one that is a twin to 2 Bar's displays the same phenomenon, except the coating material is cinnabar, bright red, just like 2-Bar's specimen.

I must admit that it would be a singularly remarkable coincidence if both calcites were of the same provenance. The Terlingua material is not well-known, although there is stuff out there. Most notable the phosphorescent calcite from Terlingua. Light it up with SW UV, turn the light off, and it glows for well over a minute. Except. All of this highly phosphorescent material that I have seen has been massive, no crystal faces, and it is white, generally with a reddish patch or patches (which appear to be due to the included HgS). I'll try this little crystal and we'll see if it fluoresces. If so, then we may have a diagnostic test for 2-Bar's calcite.

Sound reasonable? I'm off to buy batteries for the UV light.

Ed

DSC00656.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  20714 Time(s)

DSC00656.JPG

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 14, 2009 03:52    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I discovered the collection in my basement ~ 1991. I was renting a house in Berkeley at the time. My landlord told me it had belonged to his ex-wife's family but had been left behind when she moved out. He did not want it and said I could have it. I don’t have any more information than that.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: