We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-07:44:49 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
10 Apr-05:49:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:46:01 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 16, 2024 17:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I need help identifying my mineral collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

parfaitelumiere

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 10:30    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Hi Barbara,seems you are lucky,because there are good things(tourmalines and neptunite for example,and a really nice dioptase too!)
What makes me happy is that I have began the same way,one day someone gave me,maybe 15 to 20 specimens,I didn't even know what most of them should be,and I have tried to find...
I have met collectors,and now I take part in their family!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 11:11    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Barbara:

I think you should tell us where you live and then we might be able to recommend a knowledgeable collector who lives close enough to visit and identify most, if not all, of your minerals. I am not suggesting that it isn't fun looking at your photos and trying to guess what each is, but this is not the most efficient way to find out what you have. You could still post some photos of some of the more interesting pieces.

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I live in Danville California which is near San Fransisco. Sorry, I guess I got carried away. I still have the best part of my collection to show you but will only post one picture each, is that ok?

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Please continue doing it Barbara. As Steve said so well, is like looking at a time capsule. A lot of fun!.

One picture of each would be perfect.

Jordi

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 22:14    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Ok heres the next specimen...#34 measuring 12cmX8cmX6cm

IMG_0689.jpg
 Description:
#34 12cmX8cmX6cm
 Viewed:  23972 Time(s)

IMG_0689.jpg

keldjarn

PostPosted: May 19, 2009 23:24    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Tourmaline ( if they are dark green - probably Elbaite) in Quartz. It is most likely from a pegmatite in Miinas Gerais in Brazil.
Knut

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 21, 2009 13:59    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

My computer crashed yesterday and took with it all of my pictures. I'm using one of my old pc's so I don't know if it can keep up. Will post the remaining pictures as soon as I can. Im going outside to enjoy the day. It's a beautiful day here, lots of sunshine (I won't forget my sunscreen!)

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 23, 2009 22:14    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Okay, here is the rest of my collection, the drawers measure 37cm X 26cm so that gives an idea of size for each specimen. I don't have the program to crop or fix any photos so here they are in the raw...

100_1625.jpg
 Description:
drawer #5
 Viewed:  23822 Time(s)

100_1625.jpg

100_1616.jpg
 Description:
drawer #4
 Viewed:  23744 Time(s)

100_1616.jpg

100_1615.jpg
 Description:
drawer #3
 Viewed:  23786 Time(s)

100_1615.jpg

100_1614.jpg
 Description:
drawer #1
 Viewed:  23758 Time(s)

100_1614.jpg

100_1613.jpg
 Description:
drawer #2
 Viewed:  23796 Time(s)

100_1613.jpg

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 23, 2009 22:27    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

i guess ive been blocked or something cause no one has replied i am in need of selling my collection cause im broke

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 01:22    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Nope, you haven't been blocked or anything. I myself have been away from the forum for a bit. Some of us have to earn a living (har har). I'm surprised that Edelman hasn't weighed in on your drawers. (There's a joke in there somewhere...)

I will print out a photo of each drawer and give it my best shot at ID. It'll be a challenge. Figure I'll make a "map" of the specimens as they sit in each box, and write in my best guess as to ID and provenance, then post that back to you. I'm in 'Vegas tomorrow, back home on Monday for Memorial Day, so should have some time then to work on it.

One drawer looks like it has a bunch of MnCO3 minerals, rhodochrosite, perhaps rhodonite, stuff like that. Another has material from Mapimi, Durango, Mexico. And you have a lovely assemblage of azurite and malachite from Bisbee (??? Guys??) I think.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, and keep sending your stuff. Your photographic abilities are improving almost exponentially, it's great to track. Jack Halpern lives in San Francisco somewhere. Wonder if he might be interested in seeing your stuff, helping you identify it. We'll see.

I can understand your need to sell the collection. But know this. It will be worth a lot more if your fellow mineral collectors have helped you to identify the specimens. Just something to keep in mind.

Keep 'em coming, we're enjoying this a lot.

Ed

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 04:19    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Green, yellow.
Seems that in the yellow box are some sulphur and gypsum
a green one seems to contain copper minerals,cuprite and?chrysocolle(good word?)malachite,and others.
Pics a not really big,samples are not easy to see.
If you want to sell the collection,You will have to know that some specimens have a good value,and other will be cheaper.
I hope I write correctly,I'm french....
I think the good specimens are dioptase tourmaline and some other specimens from you first pics.
dioptase is really nice.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 04:20    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

2 Bar A,

This Forum avoid commercial purposes. We will do an exception with you, as you seems to be a real amateur.
Please publish your email address on the way indicated here: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=74 , then if someone is interested he can contact with you, but please not more comments about prices, availability, all kind of comercial purposes, or I will block the post immediately. Thank you.

Jordi

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 04:28    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

what I think it can be,on the pics

100_1615_282.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23794 Time(s)

100_1615_282.jpg

100_1614_708.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23754 Time(s)

100_1614_708.jpg

100_1613_116.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23729 Time(s)

100_1613_116.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 11:31    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Gneissware wrote in a message that I splited creating a new thread (How to go about marketing a collection - https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=5440#5440 ) this text:

So, no labels or other written catalog was found with the specimens? It seems that some of them have numbers pasted to them, so they were cataloged once. If you really want to do something with the specimens, it would be worth spending some time to see if the catalog still exists.

If you look at Jordi's minerals on his website, you see the attention to exactly where a specimen was found. There are also many threads in this forum and on Mindat about localities. In fact, Mindat is partly a huge locality reference, and exists because locality is so important.

So, if you really want to maximize the sale's price of these specimen, then you should really try to find the catalog.

Good luck,

Bob

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 13:38    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

Thanks guys I am a REAL amateur for sure. you can send me messages at barbara (at) a d johnstone dot com thanks and as soon as I can find my reading glasses I will answer more of your questions...

2 Bar A

PostPosted: May 24, 2009 13:54    Post subject: Re: I need help identifying my mineral collection  

I sure didnt mean to step on any toes, and I truly appreciate your patience with my ignorance...

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: