We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Questions regarding Collections' photos

Index -> Forum questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tiffanie

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 06:19    Post subject: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

I've spent far too much time browsing through all of the collections threads, and I'd like to eventually start my own. A few questions:

1) The only camera I own is an iPhone 6. I'm assuming many pictures are taken using some sort of lighting set-up, backdrops, etc. due to how professional they look. Will the photo quality from my iPhone be acceptable, and should I be using a consistent backdrop? (I'm all over the place as a grad student and tend to take pictures whenever I have time.)

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection".

Thank you :)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 07:13    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Hi tar4ntula, Interesting questions!

I won't talk about photography other than to say use a neutral simple background that compliments each of your specimens. Also check the photo quality before posting it.

Your second question is actually much more involved and lots could be said. Firstly let me give you my experience. I have a largely very focused collection, much of which is Indiana minerals and much of which is self-collected. I prefer to post them on the "mineralogical trip thru the states of the USA" thread rather than collections thread.

With that as a background here are my thoughts and some personal opinions.

If your collection is self-collected any quality examples should be posted, but if your examples are bought or otherwise acquired, I favor only better quality examples being posted.
However, if your bought posted examples are from a very specific locality where certain minerals only are found in lesser quality examples or if you post reference examples which might only be found in lesser quality specimens, than those might be specific reasons to post lesser quality specimens.

I personally don't spend much online time looking at routine lesser quality examples with no redeeming reasons to post them. However, quality and beauty are subjective and in the eye of the beholder.........

My reference examples from Indiana include low quality specimens, but each has a very specific point to make such as a very rarely found mineral which, in Indiana, only exists in low quality specimens. These have been posted, otherwise I prefer to only post my self-collected and bought display quality examples.

That is my philosophy of posting mineral photos; I am sure others will have other opinions. Hope my thoughts are of help to you. BOB

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 07:30    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

tar4ntula wrote:
I've spent far too much time browsing through all of the collections threads, and I'd like to eventually start my own. A few questions:

1) The only camera I own is an iPhone 6. I'm assuming many pictures are taken using some sort of lighting set-up, backdrops, etc. due to how professional they look. Will the photo quality from my iPhone be acceptable, and should I be using a consistent backdrop? (I'm all over the place as a grad student and tend to take pictures whenever I have time.)

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection"...

First of all I think it would be best to choose another name instead of "tar4ntula" so that we could address you in a more comfortable way.

On how to take pictures you have an extraordinary guide of Xiao-dong in FMF: Tutorial to do better photos of minerals by Xiao-dong

About which photos to publish and which ones do not, I think that these explanations of the same Forum explains it well: How does "Collection Photos" work?

Regards

R Saunders

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 12:33    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
tar4ntula wrote:

2) I know the rules mention that any mineral specimen is fine, but honestly: will I be ridiculed for posting pictures of the more basic, imperfect specimens I have? I've only been collecting for a very short time (and the beginning was spent buying every crystal that looked pretty to me), and being in school + not knowing a single person who collects minerals really puts a damper on me achieving my "dream collection"...

First of all I think it would be best to choose another name instead of "tar4ntula" so that we could address you in a more comfortable way.

On how to take pictures you have an extraordinary guide of Xiao-dong in FMF: Tutorial to do better photos of minerals by Xiao-dong

About which photos to publish and which ones do not, I think that these explanations of the same Forum explains it well: How does "Collection Photos" work?

Regards

Excellent photos however the last up date to posts were in 2014. Not sure if I should ask why, or posting elsewhere? I too am an advocate for tripods and now LED daylight lighting. Although my phone does not seem to stay mounted on one.

Tiffanie

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 16:15    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Good call on the username! I'm so used to using tar4ntula for everything online that I didn't even realize I hadn't used my name.

I see that the rules state that any specimen is acceptable, as long as it's not massive, polished, or purposely altered. Good thing I've long since made the switch to be fully specimen focused and haven't looked back! I asked the 2nd question mainly due to the comments I have seen on some identification requests that I would deem to be unnecessarily rude. Compared to the majority of users on this forum, I am still very much a beginner, and I don't want to waste my time posting specimens that I love just to have others put me down or vocally perceive them as boring. But, as Bob said above, beauty is subjective! Definitely doesn't help that my phone is almost half a decade old ;) I will do my best to entertain.

Tiffanie

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2019 16:17    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Ah, crap. Just realized I can't edit my username. I'll definitely make a new account as soon as I begin posting more frequently.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2019 01:56    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

tar4ntula wrote:
Ah, crap. Just realized I can't edit my username. I'll definitely make a new account as soon as I begin posting more frequently.

No way 😉 please don't do that... Please let us know the new name you want to use and I will change it for you.

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2019 08:52    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

I'll jump into the discussion on what you should post and not post on the collectors page.

Quoting Jordi from a previous post.

"Please do not publish commercial photos, or repeated specimens. Like a collection displayed in show cases, this forum aims to be a place for people to exhibit the most representative pieces of their collection. They do not need to be great specimens or high quality images, just ones that represent the style of your collection (but at least crystallized specimens)"

"They can be collections that are private, public, institutional or whatever, and they can be photos of some specimens or photos of all the specimens in the collection. The only condition is that they are from a collection (and are not massive specimens ;-)"

It is not up to me or anyone else in the forum to decide whether a specimen in your collection is worthy of posting or not. If a specimen fits the criteria above, is representative of your collection, be it novice or advanced and you are willing to share it with the group, feel free to post it. If someone finds it boring or unappealing, they have the option not to view it or comment on it. Just my personal opinion.

Joseph

tar4ntula wrote:
Good call on the username! I'm so used to using tar4ntula for everything online that I didn't even realize I hadn't used my name.

I see that the rules state that any specimen is acceptable, as long as it's not massive, polished, or purposely altered. Good thing I've long since made the switch to be fully specimen focused and haven't looked back! I asked the 2nd question mainly due to the comments I have seen on some identification requests that I would deem to be unnecessarily rude. Compared to the majority of users on this forum, I am still very much a beginner, and I don't want to waste my time posting specimens that I love just to have others put me down or vocally perceive them as boring. But, as Bob said above, beauty is subjective! Definitely doesn't help that my phone is almost half a decade old ;) I will do my best to entertain.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 04:53    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Joseph DOliveira wrote:
It is not up to me or anyone else in the forum to decide whether a specimen in your collection is worthy of posting or not. If a specimen fits the criteria above, is representative of your collection, be it novice or advanced and you are willing to share it with the group, feel free to post it. If someone finds it boring or unappealing, they have the option not to view it or comment on it. Just my personal opinion. Joseph
True words, Joseph! This may be a personal opinion - but it should also be a guideline for the community; and I think it already is :-)

And @ the Lady behind "tar4ntula", I will also encourage you like Joseph did: We all enjoy fine minerals, that's why we are here and that's why Jordi once founded this forum. But what level is "fine"? No one will have an answer to this, the love for minerals is too individual - and that's good! I love my collection and I read several comments in my collection thread that other members also like my specimens. But I can not compete with the level of many others here, there are no four- or five-digit-priced specimens in my collection, nevertheless it's a quite good one I think. So don't hesitate to show your collection here, no matter how "fine" the specimens may be. But of course don't forget what was mentioned: It should be natural and crystallized minerals, not polished stuff or massive rocks ;-)

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 14:05    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Hi Tiffanie,

Welcome to the forum; I hope you will find it enjoyable and educational place to browse for a few minutes or several hours. I look forward to seeing some photos of your collection. Your iPhone is capable of taking some pretty good photos. A daylight bulb in an ordinary desk lamp is often sufficient to light the subject. Just remember, the mineral specimen is the "star" of the show, so always try to use a neutral background so as not to distract from the subject.

Since you indicated that you would like to change your username to your real name, I would be happy to do that for you. Would you like me to change your username to "Tiffanie" Just let me know.

Cheers,
Michael

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 21:07    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Tiffanie, I will give you my opinion on this subject. In the past, I was marginally successful fine art photographer. Long story short, I sold my camera equipment to help support my family while returning to school. When I started collecting minerals and found this forum it took me a long time to post a photo. Every photo I have posted was taken with a Samsung Galaxy 7. The specimens may not be of interest to many, but they are are all special to my wife and me. No one has ever rebuked me for posting something that isn't interesting to them or critiqued me on the photography.

From what I have read of your posts you seem to be an intelligent and thoughtful person. I am sure that if you find something in your collection special to you, others will agree. You can't please everyone and as others have said, no one is forced to view your posts. I for one look forward to seeing your collection.

Richard

Tiffanie

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2019 23:41    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Michael,

A name change to Tiffanie would be fantastic. Thanks for offering to help!

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2019 10:50    Post subject: Re: Questions regarding Collections' photos  

Tiffanie wrote:
Michael,

A name change to Tiffanie would be fantastic. Thanks for offering to help!

Hi Tiffanie,

I have changed your username as requested. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Michael

Index -> Forum questions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: