We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 15:39

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Aragonite "buttons"

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pete Richards
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2019 18:55    Post subject: Aragonite "buttons"  

In a collection that I am helping to curate there are two lots of "hexagonal" plates that appear to belong to the same locality. Both are labeled aragonite. One is labeled "Red Mountain". The other is labeled "Wyoming?"

These crystals have a thinner aspect than typical aragonite twins, and the edges tend to be beveled, which is not typical.

There is one reference in Mindat to aragonite from Red Mountain in Wyoming, and it is for aragonite pseudos after hanksite. There are no images.

A search of all aragonite images in the USA in Mindat produces only one image that appears similar, and it is for Albany County, New York!

The five specimens are shown here. The largest is about 3 cm across.

Do these specimens ring a bell for anyone? I'd love to have a credible locality for them.

IMG_6151.jpg
 Mineral: Aragonite
 Description:
unknown
Crystals or twins to 3 cm or so
 Viewed:  7832 Time(s)

IMG_6151.jpg

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2019 19:20    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

Pete, those aragonite crystals are from a locality now in the Big Horn National Recreation Area - easy to access, easy to collect, but forbidden those days. I collected mine about 30 years ago, when, I think, the recreation area literature including rockhounding as a recreation.
The crystals occur in Triassic red beds, and there are similar localities in New Mexico, and I think, Colorado, also in red beds. I can pinpoint the locality for you, but I'd be hesitant to post the locality on a website - too easy to collect, and forbidden. I think there are also similar aragonite twins from similar red beds - in Spain.
I've always been curious about the twinning. The pseudo hexagonal forms are easily seen, but it seems to me that there are also clusters intersecting each other at maybe 45 degrees on the pedion forms. I'll try to find one to demonstrate. Tom
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin Conroy

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2019 23:26    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

These were once referred to as "Indian money" aragonite, but I haven't heard this term used for quite a while. However, if you search for this term on Google you'll see several images.

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2019 12:36    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

Pete,

I concur with Tom as to the location of your aragonite trillings. There is another Wyoming location that produces these near Tie Siding, Wyoming, but I've never seen the beveled edges on those pieces. Nearly identical specimens come from Yeso, Baca County, New Mexico as shown below.

Michael

Aragonite #1.jpg
 Mineral: Aragonite
 Locality:
Yeso, De Baca County, New Mexico, USA
 Dimensions: 2.1 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  7662 Time(s)

Aragonite #1.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2019 14:50    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

Some of the Spanish localities are in the province of Aragon (but in a series of other provinces too). The locals where I used to collect them call them torres - towers

James

Tom Tucker wrote:
Pete, those aragonite crystals are from a locality now in the Big Horn National Recreation Area - easy to access, easy to collect, but forbidden those days. I collected mine about 30 years ago, when, I think, the recreation area literature including rockhounding as a recreation.
The crystals occur in Triassic red beds, and there are similar localities in New Mexico, and I think, Colorado, also in red beds. I can pinpoint the locality for you, but I'd be hesitant to post the locality on a website - too easy to collect, and forbidden. I think there are also similar aragonite twins from similar red beds - in Spain.
I've always been curious about the twinning. The pseudo hexagonal forms are easily seen, but it seems to me that there are also clusters intersecting each other at maybe 45 degrees on the pedion forms. I'll try to find one to demonstrate. Tom

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2019 15:18    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't stop now, if you have an opinion and have not offered it.

Michael, from what little of the Tie Siding material, I agree that bevels are lacking, and they are a conspicuous part of "my" samples. You sent an excellent example from a New Mexico location, so why do you concur with Tom's locality in the Big Horn?

Kevin's suggested search led ultimately to a Weinrich page at https://www.weinrichmineralsinc.com/products/calcite-after-aragonite-1502642.php that shows specimens from a Monolith Portland Midwest Company prospect in Albany County, Wyoming that also looks pretty similar. Any comments about this one, anyone?

In general, these crystals seem enigmatic to me. All of the other undoubted aragonite trillings I have seen are more prismatic, and I do not understand the bevels as a form on aragonite, though I'm sure it's possible.

It is suggested that these are actually pseudomorphs of calcite after aragonite. The texture of mine is certainly consistent with pseudomorphy, but that does not prove that they are calcite.

I look forward to more ideas! Thanks!

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2019 17:53    Post subject: Re: Aragonite "buttons"  

Pete,

The reason for my agreeing with Tom on the location was because I have seen specimens from the area Tom mentioned. The location given was Lovell, Wyoming which is in Big Horn County. Mindat has images of 3 specimens from that area, but none show the beveled edges that your specimens have, and honestly I can't remember whether the ones I saw years ago did either. The ones shown on Mindat look very similar to the pieces from Tie Siding, Albany County, Wyoming. I have included a photo of these. The label that came with my specimens listed them as calcite ps. after aragonite. I noticed that Mindat lists 2 of the 3 from Lovell as dolomite pseudos after aragonite, while the 3rd piece is listed as a calcite pseudomorph after aragonite. I have never seen any pieces from Tie Siding with beveled edges.

I have to admit that your specimens most closely resemble the ones I have from Yeso, New Mexico. Hope this helps.

Michael

1244 Calcite ps. aragonite.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite after Aragonite
 Locality:
Tie Siding, Albany County, Wyoming, USA
 Dimensions: 3.3 cm across the larger one
 Description:
 Viewed:  7578 Time(s)

1244 Calcite ps. aragonite.jpg

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1