We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:16

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2020
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Chris Rayburn

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2020 08:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Those rutiles are stellar Bob. Do you know if they required any prep and cleaning, or are we seeing them pretty much as they came out of the ground?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2020 08:32    Post subject: Widespread Confusion  

Tucson 01/30/2020

Already in Tucson, what I can say is that this year there is an important feeling of widespread confusion. The owners of the HTCC Hotel - Inn Suites have decided to continue the Show in that Hotel by organizing it on their own, the Arizona Mineral & Fossil Show group that organized the Fair there until now, next year moves the Show to the El Conquistador Hotel and the new concept of "Local without Hotel" that is being organized around an area of ​​Oracle Street seems to expand with incredible speediness and there are already several more events that will begin in that area next year. The result is a general state of confusion and many headaches of exhibitors who do not know very well what to do or where to go (or to stay)

On the positive side it seems that this year is going to be a good year of new discoveries, led by Mexico, a country that will give a lot to talk about in this edition of Tucson and along with Mexico other countries will also have a lot to say in the chapter of the new discoveries.

Stay tuned… 😏

Tucson 2020 - Salt Lake City.jpg
 Description:
During my flight I had the chance to have this vision of the Great Salt Lake with its deposit of 1.1 million tons of minerals in the Lake each year from its three major tributaries the Jordan, Weber, and Bear rivers. A lot of minerals! :-)
 Viewed:  23973 Time(s)

Tucson 2020 - Salt Lake City.jpg

Tony L. Potucek

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2020 09:07    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Welcome back, Jordi! See you, soon!

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2020 09:36    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Chris Rayburn wrote:
Those rutiles are stellar Bob. Do you know if they required any prep and cleaning, or are we seeing them pretty much as they came out of the ground?

I believe the rutiles are pretty much as taken from the ground but obviously there are lots of needles loose and just laying in a stack. JJ showed me two underground videos of the find - what an incredible site - looked like a golden spider web. Anyone visiting his room should ask to see the videos - he loves to show them.

bob

Joan E Kureczka

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2020 13:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Incredible musical opportunity in the Westward Look lounge on Thursday Feb 6 from 6 to 8!

Jesse and I are just back from attending Folk Alliance International, a professional music conference. One of our finds in the evening private showcases is a prominent world-class classical guitarist, Gabriel Ayala, who lives in Tucson.

We had asked about possible gigs he might be doing in February, and he just wrote me that he's now booked to play at the Westward Look that night. His music is a mix of classical, flamenco, jazz and originals. This guy's playing give me goosebumps, so if you like this sort of music, I highly recommend you catch his show.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLrTPoOHhZY

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2020 10:35    Post subject: Tucson Show 2020 - The New Oracle  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Tucson 01/30/2020

Already in Tucson, what I can say is that this year there is an important feeling of widespread confusion. The owners of the HTCC Hotel - Inn Suites have decided to continue the Show in that Hotel by organizing it on their own, the Arizona Mineral & Fossil Show group that organized the Fair there until now, next year moves the Show to the El Conquistador Hotel and the new concept of "Local without Hotel" that is being organized around an area of ​​Oracle Street seems to expand with incredible speediness and there are already several more events that will begin in that area next year. The result is a general state of confusion and many headaches of exhibitors who do not know very well what to do or where to go (or to stay)

On the positive side it seems that this year is going to be a good year of new discoveries, led by Mexico, a country that will give a lot to talk about in this edition of Tucson and along with Mexico other countries will also have a lot to say in the chapter of the new discoveries.

Stay tuned… 😏

To make the confusion and dispersion of events even greater, the new Oracle sector seems to have a life of its own and along with the new buildings that have grown this year around the original Mineral City Show building (and those that will grow next year) have appeared new venues as incredible as a huge "world class" exhibition of Arkenstone with exceptional pieces presented in a supplementary tent built for first time this year at La Fuente (also located on Oracle).
Together with Arkenstone they also exhibit Mike Bergman, Peter Megaw, Jaroslav Hyrsl...

The main dealers seems to have agreed that this area of ​​Oracle aims to be a kind of new Westward Look but with a bigger extension and they may get it.

I have been coming to Tucson for many years and what I can say is that now there is a kind of small revolution in which the old does not disappear and the new is still a newborn, so many people doubt what to do and where to exhibit in the very close future.

More to come...
European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show®

Tucson Show 2020 - Westward Look.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  23462 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - Westward Look.jpg

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2020 13:40    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Thanks for the updates.

I am heading to Tucson tomorrow & look forward to the confusion & all opportunities for discovery!

Bob

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2020 22:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020 - The New Oracle  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...there is a kind of small revolution in which the old does not disappear and the new is still a newborn, so many people doubt what to do and where to exhibit in the very close future...

Let me add a few points to Jordi's comments:
- "the old does not disappear" - very correct. Based on numerous dealers I've talked with, the HTCC (Inn Suites) will have a "show" next year - maybe not one that is officially sanctioned by an organization or the hotel owner, but just a bunch of good dealers who do not want to move 12 miles north to the El Conquistador or have found there is no room in and around the Mineral City/Top Gem area. These quality dealers - and there may be lots of them - will simply have rooms at the motel for a few weeks that they sell from - and be much cheaper for them.
- "the new is still a newborn" - very correct again. It is clear that the "Min City/Top Gem" area is and will continue to be the center of focus for us mineral collectors. Three new buildings for next year that are already fully booked and rumors that the property between Min City and I-10 has been purchased and eyed for further development (as well as another rumor that the old Hacienda Motel just to the south of Top Gem is also being considered) attest to this.
- I hope that the El Conquistador show is a success, but it seems it may very well go the way of the Clarion and the Quality Inn - "satellite shows of the satellite show" that are just too far away from "things" - not to mention too expensive for many.

stay tuned,
bob

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2020 22:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Visited the Collector's Edge rooms yesterday and found the mother lode of the new La Morita Wulfenites and the Bolivian Bournonites. see photos.

I also saw a Ukrainian Heliodor in the new room of Axinite PM that was simply glowing - even from a distance. see photo.

I also was lucky enough today to watch (and get in the way of) the Valenzuela's unwrapping and placing their Milpillas pieces into the display cases. Again I heard that these are the last of the Brochantites and Azurites that they have. That day will come sometime - and maybe it is now - only time will tell.

The Milpillas specimens contained two of the "scary electric blue" azurites which were sold shortly after being unwrapped. I know they were sold quickly - one to me and one to my friend. I include photos of the large one I bought and a smaller - even more choice - one owned by one of the members of the Valenzuela family.

bob

IMG_2807.JPG
 Mineral: Wulfenite and Mimetite
 Locality:
La Morita Mine, Municipio Ascención, Chihuahua, Mexico
 Description:
Top level specimens in the Collector's Edge room at Min City
 Viewed:  23714 Time(s)

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG
 Mineral: Bournonite
 Locality:
Machacamarca Mine, Machacamarca, Machacamarca District, Cornelio Saavedra Province, Potosí Department, Bolivia
 Description:
Top level specimens in the Collector's Edge room at Min City
 Viewed:  23667 Time(s)

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
Milpillas Mine, Cuitaca, Municipio Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico
 Description:
"Scary Electric Blue" azurite from Milpillas
 Viewed:  23251 Time(s)

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2814a.JPG
 Mineral: Heliodor
 Description:
This excellent heliodor in the Axinite PM room at Min City caught everyone's eye - even from a distance
 Viewed:  23285 Time(s)

IMG_2814a.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2020 11:02    Post subject: Tucson Show 2020 - Vic Rzonca  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...there is a kind of small revolution in which the old does not disappear and the new is still a newborn, so many people doubt what to do and where to exhibit in the very close future...

The situation of the Hotels and new venues for next year is so complicated that Vic Rzonca has decided to intervene personally.

Here we see him ready to convince with his "arguments" whom still doubts... 🤣

Tucson 2020 - Vic Rzonca.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22467 Time(s)

Tucson 2020 - Vic Rzonca.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2020 11:20    Post subject: Tucson Show 2020 - Gail & Jim Spann  

And don't miss the extraordinary (as always) thread of Gail & Jim Spann: The Joy of Tucson, 2020 Gail Spann Experience

Tucson 2020 - Liroconite from Wheal Gorland of Gail and Jim Spann.jpg
 Mineral: Liroconite
 Locality:
Wheal Gorland, Saint Day, Camborne - Redruth - Saint Day District, Cornwall, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 30 mm
 Description:
One of Gail's favorite pieces
 Viewed:  22457 Time(s)

Tucson 2020 - Liroconite from Wheal Gorland of Gail and Jim Spann.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2020 11:06    Post subject: Tucson Show 2020 - The Westward Look time  

Tucson 02/07/2020

The time of the Tucson Show is divided into three parts: the Hotels & Oracle zone, the Westward Look and the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show® (Main Show), although the segment of the Hotels & Oracle zone always overlaps with the other two segments as it remains open for virtually every day of the Show.
We now enter on the segment of the Westward Look in which I, as much of what had to be done is already done I will have more time and I will be able to publish more information.
So welcome to the Westward Look, the prettiest of the over 50 Tucson Shows! 🤗

Tucson 2020 - Secretism on the Westward Look.jpg
 Description:
Secret day yesterday waiting for the official opening today.
Where's Wally? ;-)
 Viewed:  21893 Time(s)

Tucson 2020 - Secretism on the Westward Look.jpg

Tucson 2020 - Pretty Westward Look.jpg
 Description:
Pretty Westward Look...
 Viewed:  21887 Time(s)

Tucson 2020 - Pretty Westward Look.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2020 01:02    Post subject: John S. White founded "The Mineralogical Record" 50 years ago  

John S. White founded "The Mineralogical Record" 50 years ago. We are celebrating that anniversary in Tucson

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2020 09:23    Post subject: Re: John S. White founded "The Mineralogical Record" 50 years ago  

In John S. White founded "The Mineralogical Record" 50 years ago Jordi Fabre wrote:
John S. White founded "The Mineralogical Record" 50 years ago. We are celebrating that anniversary in Tucson

Thanks to Wendell Wilson, current editor of the magazine, for his kindness by providing the originals of the cover of the first issue and the article of John S. White with the history of the creation of the magazine and its early years. Thanks also to Antonio López Cabello who helped me to prepare the originals of that article in "FMF magazine" format and to Gail Spann who contributed some pictures of John.

This is the cover of the Mineralogical Record edition in which the article is located

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2020 12:41    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

I've not posted recently so i'll try to catch up a bit. There are indeed sooooo many shows opening and closing such that it would need a small army of observers to cover them properly. A few observations:
- Jewel Tunnel Imports (JTI) at the La Fuente had another batch of Rock Currier's medium grade pieces. a portion of the sales went to charity.
- the Elks Show - about a dozen good quality dealers - has come and gone. The opening of this show is a mob scene - but later the same day and later in their 4 day window the venue can be yours alone.
- the Mineral Habit show - a group of about a dozen dealers - including Mike Shannon, Mats Reinlander, Rocko's Minerals and Canyon Colors (Mark Candee) among others - was housed in what can best be described as "just as eclectic as last year's show",
- behind the La Fuente was a large Arkenstone tent that also housed a number of other dealers.
so, as mentioned by myself and others, it's simply difficult to find your favorite dealers.

one additional important observation - all of the shows mentioned above - as well as Min City - consists predominantly of retail dealers. wholesale dealers - mainly international since there are so few domestic (US) mines producing specimens - are still focused at the HTCC. And, the vast majority of these international dealers are planning to stay at the HTCC next year.

bob

IMG_2901.JPG
 Description:
signs, signs, everywhere are signs
 Viewed:  21265 Time(s)

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG
 Description:
the "garden" keeps growing
 Viewed:  21247 Time(s)

IMG_2918.JPG

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2020 17:25    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Has the corona virus been an issue for Chinese or other dealers?

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2020 17:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Hasn't stopped me from visiting the Chinese dealers. I figure if the incubation period is 4-7 days, anyone there now is long past that and shouldn't be a concern.

Matt_Zukowski wrote:
Has the corona virus been an issue for Chinese or other dealers?

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2020 08:47    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Last night during the Sunday evening program at the Westward Look, the winner of the American Heritage Mineral Award was announced. This year it will go to Mike New (Top Gem Minerals). Mike is a most deserving recipient of the award as for the last 50 years he has been out in the field bringing us a wide variety of specimens – especially Mexican minerals.

I would bet that there are thousands of collectors today (I’m one of them) who can trace their start in the hobby to specimens that Mike brought to the market – usually with good quality and at very low prices that enabled anyone to get started without breaking the bank. This continues to present day as the annual January opening of Top Gem for the Tucson Shows clearly demonstrates.

Mike was unable to attend to accept the award (he is still recovering from a car accident), so the duty fell to Mike’s son Jason who gave an emotional and heartfelt thank-you speech.

bob

IMG_2947.JPG
 Description:
Jason New accepting the American Heritage Mineral Award for his father Mike - during the Sunday evening Westward Look program
 Viewed:  20806 Time(s)

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG
 Description:
List of Award winners
 Viewed:  20804 Time(s)

IMG_2944.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2020 00:11    Post subject: Tucson Show 2020 - Tucson is a brain-breaking!  

Tucson 02/11/2020

Tucson is a brain-breaking and although I wanted to publish more things I could not.

Tomorrow I fly back to Barcelona, I still have to re-organize many things and although it is raining in Tucson today and consequently I thought I could have a quick dinner at my Hotel and take care of FMF after the dinner, there were some good friends there, they invited me and we had an extraordinary conversation, but now is no time for me to publish more things.
Serve these photos taken by Jordi Deusedes of my 5 favorite pieces of the exhibition made Saturday by the META group (Mineral Enthusiasts of the Tucson Area) at the Westward Look Hotel.

I am very sorry that I cannot do more but although I have reduced my stay in Tucson 4 days, although I do not exhibit, although, although... I can't.

Tucson is a monster that leaves no room for anything else.

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (1).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20382 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (1).jpg

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (2).jpg
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
Morenci Mine, Morenci, Copper Mountain District, Shannon Mountains, Greenlee County, Arizona, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  20360 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (2).jpg

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (3).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20428 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (3).jpg

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (4).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20357 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (4).jpg

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (5).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  20365 Time(s)

Tucson Show 2020 - META minerals (5).jpg

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2020 00:53    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

F31EFDA6-4A96-458E-B4D0-4089562A016F.jpeg
 Description:
I can attest to Jordi having a good conversation tonight.
 Viewed:  20318 Time(s)

F31EFDA6-4A96-458E-B4D0-4089562A016F.jpeg

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 6
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: