We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:30

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Too much of the same thing

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 26, 2009 04:38    Post subject: Too much of the same thing  

Mr. Salvan have expressed quite elegantly the very points that I have been trying to make ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=5463#5463 ). Frankly I am more or less tired of seeing fine photos of fine specimens of what are essentially the same thing. To paraphrase a friend of mine, how many more photos of crystal specimens from Tsumeb do we need to see? Haven't we by this time seen it all? I much prefer to see photos of things that are new to me, and I hope that others share this view.

Here is one of my favorite pieces, an "artichoke" quartz from the Shangbao mine, Leiyang, Hunan, Chine, about 9 cm across. Scovil photo.

quartz - China 9-10-3 Scovil.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32420 Time(s)

quartz - China 9-10-3 Scovil.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy

PostPosted: May 26, 2009 10:29    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

John, I agree to some degree with your comments that we do not need to see any more fine minerals, and that new and different things would be more interesting, but have to play devil's advocate. You are at the far end of the learning curve with respect to minerals and the various shapes and forms they take. For certain FMF readers who are new to the hobby, a bunch of minerals seemingly of the same type might be invaluable as a learning tool. Also, where do you draw the line between "yawn" and "wow?" It is a moving target, so to speak. Does a great specimen from a recent find qualify as "wow" for you, or are you only interested in looking at head-scratchers? (in which case we should be limiting our photos to those of true oddballs).

Lastly, the opportunity of having people share photos of their favorite specimens is also called into question. If a person likes something tried and true, then they should share it, even if it is not necessarily a new and exciting specimen. One should not have to worry about generating a "been there, seen that" response from the readers/viewers, when uploading a photo (I confess I'm now a little uncertain as to whether I should share any more photos on my own thread). FMF is a place to share with others what we like!

Personally, I stand alongside the fence. Being fond of oddballs, I like to see new and different things. Being a relative newcomer, I like to see fine photos of fine minerals, but more importantly I don't always know whether what I'm looking at constitutes something new and different, and if so why. Your beautiful artichoke quartz was shared with us via a fine photo, therefore to me (and others) it is a fine photo of a fine mineral. I like visiting your thread because (so far) you have showcased minerals that I like, and I like following others' threads because they help me develop an appreciation (or not) of certain mineral species and their arrangements, also an appreciation of a nice-looking example of a mineral that's been around for some time. I doubt you will find consensus among the group regarding what should or should not be posted, or in setting a boundary line between boring and exciting. But I'd love to hear thoughts of other readers...

- Tracy

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 26, 2009 12:20    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Sure, I'll weigh in. It's all about the rocks. Show me the rocks! I learn something from everything that is posted on FMF. If nothing else, it's a chance to see another specimen. I am not a neophyte, been doing this a long time, but hey, I still enjoy looking at specimens. Sometimes I see something new. Many times I see something old. But the point it, I see something, and it is something that is of interest to the person who has posted it, and it is of interest to me. Some things I/we enjoy more than others, it's true, but so far, I've read every post, lingered over some for a longer time, and just skimmed through others. But every time, I've come away from the Forum with something new. Perhaps a different outlook on things (like the give and take between you and John, or the wrangling over the umlauts in the old labels recently, all that stuff), or an enhanced appreciation for specimens from a locality that is new to me. The Les Farge pyromorphites, the polka dot ones. I had seen a few, now I'm seeing more. I had no idea.

So, for me, in that regard, the Forum is great. I can get a daily mineral fix, and go about my business. And we've all enjoyed helping others with their specimen ID or location. It's fun. The Forum provides us with the opportunity to show others the things that interest us. Things that range from the mundane to the esoteric. (Like me: "Here's my first rock collection" duh). Contrast that with JSW's screw dislocation in a faceted almost 2 inch long (!!) beryl.

Again, it's all about the rocks (Tony Potucek taught me that one). Gail feels the same way. We just love the rocks.

So there's my two cent's worth of a mostly zinc, copper clad penny.

Keep 'em coming everyone.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 26, 2009 16:38    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Okay please don't gang up on me and don't (Tracy especially) misread my message. The last thing I would want to do is discourage any of you from displaying your minerals on this Forum. I enjoy them all and, if I may, I particularly like the microcrystals. I was a micromounter in my early collecting days and I have a great love of micromounts. It is a fact that most fine micromounts exceed in quality the best cabinet specimens of the same minerals from the same localities, if they exist.

It is for me, however, kind of uninteresting to see photo after photo of blood red plain rhombohedral rhodochrosites from the Sweet Home mine, or native silvers from Freiberg, aquas from Pakistan, etc.. Of course there are exceptions, some photos of the above above show really unique features which stimulate the brain cells, but most do not.

I figured that my comments might open the door to a lot of feedback, and that is a very good thing, in my opinion.

Gail

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 11:39    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Show me everything, every size, every shape, every colour, every black ugly, white on white, you name it. Show it to me please. I love them all.
I never tire of any mineral.
What a treat to see ANY mineral .

My enthusiasm knows no bounds!!!!!!

Peter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

I would encourage everyone to post after their own mind and interest.
It is always easy for others to select if something happens to be old stuff.

But, I think no one never has seen it all ,
but I do understand that a massive pale rose quartz specimen may not be as exciting after you found it in thousands of tons in several locations for decades....

I still remember fondly the first time I found quantities of rose quartz though....
thick bands all over a big quarry in Sweden, deep colored rose color but the nicely colored spinells ´nearby in quarry walls and others were more interesting but my girl friend had me carry a lot, I mean A LOT of heavy rose quartz to fill their garden.

Peter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Here is an old Tsumeb specimen I saw many years ago in Namibia and a few years later the collector brought it to the Munchen show! My absolute treasure from that show.

Another year I flew to Munchen against my doctors prescription as I had double sided very serious pneumonia )legionella i.e. legionary decease). I seam to have survived but was very weak... but gee I found the absolutely most ugly and most precious specimen at the entire show!!! But I had better stay home in bed in retrospect....

Enjoy this photograph of my favourite Mottramite on calcite about 15 cm wide. I have never seen another one.

Mottramite Tsumeb.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32187 Time(s)

Mottramite Tsumeb.JPG

Peter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 14:58    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

blue fluorite with "tourmaline" inclusions (specie unknown) from Baian Obo, Mongolia.

BilderMünchen2002 & Tucson 2003 195.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32164 Time(s)

BilderMünchen2002 & Tucson 2003 195.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 15:22    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Holy cow Peter!!! It looks like someone drizzled two different colors of green paint over the calcite. Any clue as to what controlled the emplacement of the darker versus lighter green mottramite? It looks like jungle camouflage, doesn't it?

And the fluorite. It's clear, with nice terminations along the edges and at the 111 face. And those are definitely tourmalines of some sort inside. I would have snapped both of these beauties up in a heartbeat. They are stand-alone beautiful, and, when coupled with their uniqueness, well, you really have something to show and talk about.

Thanks for the submittals.

Ed

Peter

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 15:56    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Hi Ed

I am glad to show you something new to you!
And big thank you for getting Peter M into collecting!!!

This is the only such specimen I have seen form Tsumeb and everyone I have spoken to about it. It sure looks camouflaged. Will have to do some analyses to see if booth colors are mottramite, with some composiiton variation.

I collect everything from very ugly, I started out with REE minerals I collected in Swedish and Norwegian pegmatites in the 1970s to Be minerals, phosphates, Långban and many other deposits, general pegmatite specimens, since the mid 70s more and more unusual morphologies, inclusions etc..... and some eye candy like your to.

Will see if I can find another photo for you, but most are high resolution ones.
OK found a photo of a floater (broken off some 1600 million years ago, possibly the oldest finest gem calcites found in fresh condition!) golden colored butterfly twin calcite.

DSCN7421.JPG
 Description:
8 cm wide butterfly twin golden calcite collected in January 1989 in a now collapsed part of the Malmberget Mine, Lappland, Sweden.
 Viewed:  32149 Time(s)

DSCN7421.JPG

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: May 27, 2009 16:20    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Thanks Peter. The bimodal colour thing is just too weird.

The postman just delivered the new Mineralogical Record. How fitting that it has a chapter devoted to JSW's single crystal collection. This is for two reasons. First, we've horned in on his string wherein he was displaying his things, (well, we high-jacked it, but I suspect that Jordi has fixed that already) and second, your butterfly twin calcite is something that I think he would display with pride in his single's collection if he were to own it.

If you have not as yet received the latest MR, you have a treat in store.

Thanks again for showing and sharing.

Keep 'em coming.

Ed

Peter

PostPosted: May 28, 2009 03:43    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

I knew it was coming but No I have not yet received it!
I myself has also a whole bunch of interesting single crystals, with rare morphologies, inclusions, and also systematic just to see the variety of colors, morphology from a single pegmatite veins different pockets, a pegmatite field etc.

John saw my collection a couple of times, well no one besides me saw it all , as most of it is and was in Sweden, but he a bunch of it. Not even my brother who collected with me since he was 2 years old !!! , saw it all, but he saw most.

Looking forward to the next MR!!!

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: May 30, 2009 03:10    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

I can tell t:"too much of the same thing",I am neophyte,but when I go to a local exhibiton, see always same indian minerals,and other chinese fluo,pyrite,polished stones,an of course,sometimes,french stones...
But on the web,and on this forum,I like to see classics,because these classics(especially good ,and expensive specimens) are not often viewed on french exhibitions,and .
This kind of material is difficult to find here in France.
But maybe you will come here,At millau,or Beaumont,and tell"wow",because you will see lots of uncommon french minerals I'm in habit of seeing,Like I tell "wow"when I see american classics,or tsumeb oldies...
If i'm lucky I will buy a rhodonite from Franklin,and here wee do not often see good rhodonite(from everywhere in fact...)
regarding french pyros,there are lots of places,and shapes,not only "les farges"
the french pyros(and other,from other countries)are wonderfull,but maybe,we,french guys'do not know how wonderfull they are?

Tracy

PostPosted: May 30, 2009 13:17    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Wow, I am stunned - I did not receive a single notification that there had been other posts to this topic since It was set up as a separate thread! (Jordi, any idea why?)

John: admittedly my response was a bit overzealous, but my central point stands. Though I think some clarification is needed on your original comments: are you tired of seeing the "same old things" (which are not regarded as such by many) on FMF or everywhere? I assume your comments were directed toward the latter even though I initially thought the former. If I'm right, then your complaint is aimed at all websites and magazines that feature mineral photos, which typically cater to public demand. So there are plenty of folks out there that enjoy seeing fine mineral photos, the old and new classics. I don't think that many of the truly unusual minerals have the same appeal, though I could be wrong in saying that.

I know that you are particularly fond of oddities and headscratchers; I only wanted to bring to your attention the fact that I've seen at best 1% of the number of minerals which you have, and because of that most things have yet to become tedious to my eyes (and on the flip side, many more things strike me as unusual or otherwise special). Some things are displayed to excess even for me, particularly when the mineral in question is not one that interests me. But everything is relative, and somebody else might never get tired of seeing the very same mineral repeatedly.

I am belaboring the point and repeating the comments of others, so I will get off my soapbox now. Peace? I'm looking forward to reading your article later today - congratulations!

- Tracy

Jim Prentiss

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 22:00    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Hello Everyone,

How about some Magnesioriebeckite for something new.

Jim Prentiss

min020 007.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  30416 Time(s)

min020 007.jpg

prospector

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2009 22:20    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Peter

I like the butterfly calcite the best of the specimens that you show.

Al

jimB

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2009 23:34    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

Im far from worn out looking at pictures of Tsumeb specimens. Consider this, the magnificent Azurite in Sr. Folch's collection pictured some where on this site is entirely new to me and spectacular. More of the same! I wonder what else is hiding in drawers. The Sr. Folch piece looks very much like my memory of a written description of the specimen collected by Sam Gordon. I havn't seen that one either. More photos please.

Redundancy in minerals is expressed nicely in that at any given show if a collector can identify 60 species with modest accuracy, that collector can easily move through the displays and boxes with considerable effect. More is better of course but humble knowledge translates into major enjoyment of the hobby even if the field is (and at this level must be) redundant.

Richard Bideaux once did a little study of all the minerals on display in competition at a National Show in the late 60s. The printout showed the occurence of each species displayed and the number of times it appeared. 60 is my number of convienance, if memory serves after 40 or so species, minerals begin to show up once or twice in the entire field. In other words every one displays a quartz or calcite and a pyrite, azurite, malachite etc. These recurr so often as to be nearly uncompetitve unless they scream. Evern so I enjoy looking at them, redundant as they may be.

Farlang

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2009 08:14    Post subject: Re: Too much of the same thing  

I rarely ever agree with John White, but I do agree on this one. Obviously one can post whatever one finds fascinating but as to personal interests: I liked his posted mineral actually as I personally love minerals that "surprise". Either through their 3-dimensionality or through their contrast or their unexpected combinations.

The "artichoke" quartz would be a premier candidate for my own collection.

And yes, I too am totally numb to Tsumeb, Paki aqua's, rhodochrosites, single gem crystals (bo-ring), moroccon vanadinites, the chinese fluorites (well many of them) and so on.

Elite collecting has resulted in a standardization of mineral tastes and mineral aestethic qualifications. And you know what ? Wanna be a supreme collector ? Develop your own vision and break away from the mold. The mold is for followers anyway and building a collection hardly ever is.

And where obviously one has to think about market values for pieces over 5000 or 10,000 or more like 50,000 nowadays there are plenty of specimens being interesting and very aesthetic at the same time. After all marketing a top collection in any field is much more about branding and about the storyline behind it... and the more unique the storyline, the easier and more press-sensitive the collection.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: