We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research

Index -> Forum questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

RayStraw

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2020 10:00    Post subject: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

I am still working on my paper which attempts to explain how malachite replaces azurite to form a pseudomorph where the azurite shape and faces are present but only malachite remains.

1. What I need is some partial pseudomorphs with broken azurite terminations. Pictures would be fine or any damaged specimen donations appreciated.

2. I would also like a complete pseudomorph to malachite from Ajo Arizona. These often are pseudo cubic. What I need is one where the pseudo is broken say at the edge of the specimen. Pictures are fine.

Thanks for any help.

Ray Straw
rsplinters(@)gmail.copm
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2020 12:16    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

RayStraw wrote:
I am still working on my paper which attempts to explain how malachite replaces azurite to form a pseudomorph where the azurite shape and faces are present but only malachite remains.

1. What I need is some partial pseudomorphs with broken azurite terminations. Pictures would be fine or any damaged specimen donations appreciated.

2. I would also like a complete pseudomorph to malachite from Ajo Arizona. These often are pseudo cubic. What I need is one where the pseudo is broken say at the edge of the specimen. Pictures are fine.

Thanks for any help.

Ray Straw
rsplinters(@)gmail.copm

Just emailed you a couple of pictures Ray, one from Laos, the other from Mexico.

Enjoy!

Linus

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2020 13:07    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Ray, here is a favorite of mine from Milpillas...

az psued.jpg
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
Milpillas Mine, Cuitaca, Municipio Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico
 Dimensions: 25 mm
 Description:
Azurite ps Malachite on matrix
 Viewed:  26639 Time(s)

az psued.jpg

Roger Warin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2020 16:13    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Hello,

I wrote an article on pseudomorphosis in my club magazine AGABminibul.
I envision many examples including obviously malachite after azurite.
You should know that this is a new chemical equilibrium which is being established, replacing the azurite material by malachite, without destroying the morphology of the crystal. Obviously, there is no longer any crystal lattice in this pseudo-crystal.
This reaction depends on the partial pressure of CO2. This evolution towards a new chemical equilibrium occurs especially in the arid zones.
But there is a problem, the text of my article is in French, but the photos are in Esperanto !
Google translation can help easily, I think.
If you are interested, I send you the pdf.
I remain at your disposal.
Roger.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2020 00:49    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Here is a totally metamorphosed azurite crystal and another partially.
Roger.

P05-Malachite-psm-azurite.jpg
 Mineral: Malachite
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Description:
total metamorphose after azurite
 Viewed:  26550 Time(s)

P05-Malachite-psm-azurite.jpg

P06-Malachite_SPM_Azu-01ABC-2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
partial metamorphosis
 Viewed:  26568 Time(s)

P06-Malachite_SPM_Azu-01ABC-2.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2020 10:57    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Ray Straw wrote:

Roger Warin wrote:

Hello,

I wrote an article on pseudomorphosis in my club magazine AGABminibul.
I envision many examples including obviously malachite after azurite.
You should know that this is a new chemical equilibrium which is being established, replacing the azurite material by malachite, without destroying the morphology of the crystal. Obviously, there is no longer any crystal lattice in this pseudo-crystal.
This reaction depends on the partial pressure of CO2. This evolution towards a new chemical equilibrium occurs especially in the arid zones.
But there is a problem, the text of my article is in French, but the photos are in Esperanto !
Google translation can help easily, I think.
If you are interested, I send you the pdf.
I remain at your disposal.
Roger.

I would like a copy of the pdf file.
rsplinters(@)gmail(.)com

RayStraw

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2020 11:10    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Roger:

The partial pseudomorph would be ideal for my purposes which will involve cutting sections of the crystal.

Please advise specimen dimensions.

Thank you,

Ray

rsplinters(@)gmail dot com

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2020 23:53    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Hi Ray,

Another fine example of pseudomorphism is green malachite after blue azurite, especially since often the crystals found have only been partially degraded. In this case, it is no longer an oxidation-reduction alteration which intervenes but another process completely unexpected for the amateur.

Malachite Cu2 (CO3) (OH)2 is an insoluble hydroxylated copper carbonate. It is close to the azurite Cu3 (CO3)2 (OH)2. It is the partial pressure of CO2 that conditions the appearance of one or the other of these minerals. In geological conditions, azurite is also not stable if the partial pressure of CO2 decreases. Pseudomorphoses of malachite are then formed because the malachite occupies a smaller volume, thus retaining the shape of the azurite crystal broken down atom by atom. As the immediate comparison of unit cells (different Z) is not possible, here is the explanation for the strong in theme.

Pseudomorph can be total or partial as frequently in Tsumeb (Namibia). This last example shows a chipped crystal on which we can clearly see the conchoidal fracture. In addition, the brackets emphasize the similarity of the streaks in the crystal before and after pseudomorph. The crystal morphology has really not changed.

The decrease in molecular volume allows the subsequent slow reaction without any breaking of the father-crystal (azurite) since the daughter (malachite) is smaller. This chemical reaction only depends on the partial pressure of CO2. A tropical climate seems favorable (temperature) to the formation of azurite. Cold geographic areas may slow the phenomenon of pseudomorphism.

The microcavities of pseudomorphs result from the absence of a lattice and the decrease in the volume of matter. Malachite is microcrystalline.
It is for this reason that in Nature, the reaction is irreversible. Azurite is never regenerated.
Here are the comparisons of these two mineralogical species:

(see the chemical reactions)

With translations:
Maille élémentaire = unit cell.

The alteration involves the replacement of part of the carbon dioxide (CO2) of the azurite molecule by water (H2O), in the ratio of 1 : 1.
We can write the azurite degradation reaction like this:

The dependence of the partial pressure on CO2 is obvious, a low partial pressure favoring the reaction when the CO2 is eliminated. It is conditioned by pH and temperature.

Roger.

Malachite-psm-aurite_R.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26387 Time(s)

Malachite-psm-aurite_R.jpg

Pseudomorphoses-texte.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26384 Time(s)

Pseudomorphoses-texte.jpg

basti

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 04:36    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Here is a historic azurite-malachite specimen from Moravske Zemske Muzeum in Brno, Czech Republic.

I saw some partial pseudomorphs from Kerrouchen, Morocco - these could be available and not too expensive, some were even below $10 price tag.

azurite-tsumeb-namibia.jpg
 Mineral: Azurite, Malachite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 10 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  26372 Time(s)

azurite-tsumeb-namibia.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 04:59    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

If it is due to the partial pressure of CO2 [and I don't question that], how does one explain the partial and patterned alteration. I have some azurite xx that partly altered to malachite in the most apparently random and even un-connected patterns and portions. I assume it must have to do with crystal defects, impurities or some such.......

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 06:36    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Hi Peter,
I misspoke. It is not the gaseous component of the atmosphere that controls this equilibrium, but rather the concentrations of CO2 gas dissolved in hydrothermal waters, under geological conditions.
Of course I made the same observations as you.
I suppose that hydrothermal waters find defects in the structure (the lattice) of the azurite crystal and several different and concomitant alterations can then occur. So I have the same conclusion as you.

RayStraw

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 10:05    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Thanks everyone for your interpretations of azurite to malachite pseudomorphs.

All the information will be distilled and included in my paper.

Best,
Ray Straw

RayStraw

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 10:09    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Roger:

This Tsumeb pseudomorph appears to be about 3cm maximum. Is that correct?

Is it still in your collection?

Best,
Ray Straw

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2020 10:54    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

Ray - this is probably beyond the scope of your study but there was an azurite specimen displayed at the TGMS Show that appears to be azurite after azurite and the second generation of azurite only was a thin coating on the outside of the primary azurite (???). or - was this one form of azurite morphing to another form "from the inside out"???

photo is attached and also, here's a posting I placed on Mindat where the general consensus is that this is a damaged or wall contacted specimen (which I doubt) but the two significantly different colors was not explained. here's the mindat link:
https://www.mindat.org/mesg-505011.html

if this is beyond what you want to study then - "never mind".
bob

IMG_3087a.JPG
 Description:
Either Touissit or Kerrouchene
Strange two tone azurite
 Viewed:  26268 Time(s)

IMG_3087a.JPG

RayStraw

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2020 10:23    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite pseudomorph research  

This specimen from Roger Warin is just what I need for my azurite to malachite pseudomorph research (Malachite-psm-aurite_R.jpg):
Azurite crystal with chipped termination and malachite pseudomorph away from the termination but visible underneath the azurite. Size is approximately 3 cm.
Since I will be cutting up the crystal through the thickness in the length direction, a damaged crystal is desirable.

Roger's specimen is not available.

Does anyone have any like this that will donate the specimen for my research?

Ray Straw
rsplinters(@)gmail dot com

Index -> Forum questions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: