We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 10:44

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Dealing with damage
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

marvinlewinsky

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2020 18:15    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

Bob Harman wrote:
The topic of this thread was specimen damage assessment and how it might affect purchasing mineral specimens.

Now the last number of postings have gotten way off the original topic.

In addition, while everyone is entitled to their beliefs and assessments of mineral prices/collections, your continual elitist attitude is, in my opinion not in the best interest of the folks on this forum. This is a worldwide forum undertaken by a very ethical dealer who caters to a wide variety of collector interests with a wide range of financial pocketbooks. Putting specific $$$$ amounts on specimens with your personal feelings about their "worthiness" (or how "unworthy" they are) is in no one's interest.

To me, it again seems about time to either lock or delete this thread. BOB

Hello Bob:

I was not my intent to hurt anyone’s feelings, but someone must be the voice of truth and reason. I cannot see that I have said that Jordi is anything but ethical.

I am always amused by the term elitist – as if merit or being above average or being affluent is a dirty word. One will always be judged by what they do not by who they are.

The theme of Tucson 2020 said it all loud and clear – the future of modern mineral collecting is about aesthetics.

It appears that you Bob might be on the verge of having an anerobic seizure – calm down, this forum is about open discussion, even when we disagree with what is being discussed. You might delete the post but reality can never be deleted - it will always come back to bite you when you least expect it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Niels Brouwer

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2020 19:36    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

Marvin, once again you are trying to claim your limited view on collecting minerals - aesthetics, aesthetics, and nothing but aesthetics - are the sole truth in the mineral world, and everybody who has a different view is simply in denial and have bad taste. Spending enough money is the only way to build a noteworthy collection. If the world class minerals theme (whatever that means in the first place) "said it all loud and clear"; then why did the set of Young Mineral Collectors displays win the non-institutional Friends of Mineralogy award, if it set out to demonstrate things such as diversity and even affordability? If young collectors aren't the future of the hobby, then what is?!

It's a bit like saying wulfenite is the only mineral that's important enough to be collected, or that blue is the only colour that makes any mineral of interest for a collector, simply based on the Tucson theme for a particular year.

In the end, the only thing that matters is how much a collector enjoys the hobby, not how they are judged to be mediocre by others that would feel superior simply because they feel they've spent enough money for the bragging rights and in order to be able to be patronising and condescending towards 'lesser' collectors. People appreciate and purchase minerals for a myriad of different reasons, it still baffles me you don't seem to want to understand that.

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2020 20:24    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

Just to add to this thread. I had 5 minerals from my collection that were good enough to make it into this Arizona issue of the MR. One of those only cost me $125.00 and two of the other ones cost me well under a $1000.00 and the other two just above that level. You do not have to spend a lot of money to build a good collection of minerals. I decided a long time ago to only collect U.S. Minerals and have put together a nice collection in the 4.0 cm to 6 cm range. I had only an average income to do this with, and yes, it took me 50 years of looking to make it happen. In the end I have at least one nice mineral from every state along with a very good Arizona and California suite. It is not about the money I spent, but the fun and enjoyment I had in doing so. Along with all the friends and mentors I was lucky to have help me along the way.

marvinlewinsky

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2020 21:56    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

rweaver wrote:
Just to add to this thread. I had 5 minerals from my collection that where good enough to make it into this Arizona issue of the MR. One of those only cost me $125.00 and two of the other ones cost me well under a $1000.00 and the other two just above that level . You do not have to spend a lot of money to build a good collection of minerals. I decided a long time ago to only collect U.S. Minerals and have put together a nice collection in the 4.0cm to 6cm range. I had only a average income to do this with, and yes, it took me 50 years of looking to make it happen. In the end I have at least one nice mineral from every state along with a very good Arizona and California suite. It is not about the money I spent but the fun and enjoyment I had in doing so. Along with all the friends and mentors I was lucky to have help me along the way.

Dear Neils:

All good things to those who wait. And yes, I will be dealing with the YMC contributions, but it is noteworthy that it did not win the top prize, perhaps what one might call the door prize. These days one can get a certificate for just participating. In my day the prizes were given only to the top three – how times have changed.

Many of the underlying assumptions presented in the YMC presentation were seriously flawed. And in another post, I will address the issue of where mineral collecting is really heading. But if you say China (east Asia), bingo, you win the proverbial cigar. The next question will be, who will be doing (dominating) the collecting?

rweaver

On the subject of localities, I am happy to collect specimens from any location provided they are of display quality. I have enough rocks in my garden, and some do sparkle too.

I do understand that people collect for many reasons, but what you are not accepting is that you get what you pay for, and yes some are lucky to have friends in the business who will give them specimens at cost or wholesale prices but not everyone is that lucky.

I suppose it is like being an artist – many can sketch well but only a very few will be as gifted as the great masters.

When I saw the Facebook, page dedicated to World Class Mineral Collectors (one of whom won the main prize at Tucson 2020) I know that their mineral collections are the yardstick by which all mineral collections will be judged, if not now, certainly in the future.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2020 00:46    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

marvinlewinsky wrote:

On the subject of localities, I am happy to collect specimens from any location provided they are of display quality. I have enough rocks in my garden, and some do sparkle too.

You are happy to collect what you want, as I think everyone agrees. That said, personally, I find this statement above absurd and 'anti-mineralogy'. That you only collect 'display quality' is your choice and a statement that you have lots of money to spend on your collection. Fine. But while I'm sure everyone loves mineral specimens that 'look good' - I have some very ugly [to you and those who believe like you do] specimens I treasure for their being rare, or the largest or nearly the largest of that species, or having some very unusual growth pattern or association[s], or rare for the location found, or many other interesting features. You have narrowed down your interest in minerals to how expensive and [in the art world sense] aesthetic they are. You have a mineral art collection, which to me is not necessarily the same thing as a mineral collection - but everyone can collect whatever they please.

I don't collect friends based on how beautiful they are, but how nice and interesting they are. I feel much the same about my mineral collection. Personally, I can't afford the super duper specimens, many of which someone has already pointed out often [not always] have had a lot of prep work done to make them look so special. Your dichotomy that a specimen is either world-class display quality or it is like a rock in your garden, to me, sounds absurd...but everyone is different. There is a lot in between of interest to me and many....and in the past many more collected in that 'in between'. This new trend toward only 'perfect' specimens I think is destroying the hobby and the field and to some extent the shows in some places.....just my opinion. Your milage obviously differs.

Rob Schnerr

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2020 04:15    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

Although some interesting opinions occurred in this discussion, I think it is better to stop it. You cannot argue in a constructive way with someone who 1) considers himself the measure of all things, 2) does not distinguish between facts and opinions. Furthermore this discussion is no longer about minerals or mineral collecting, but about the ego of mister Marvin.
So I opt out.

Cheers,
Rob

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2020 05:06    Post subject: Re: Dealing with damage  

Heartily agree Bob.

Mr Lewinsky's naive and dismissive commentary on any form of collecting other than the one he seems to have recently embarked upon is becoming tiresome...

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: