We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 11:07

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
  Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2020 16:38    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - The lightness of the weight  

The lightness of the weight

Fluorite - Xianghualing_Hunan Province_China.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
 Dimensions: 12 × 6.7 × 4.8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  16517 Time(s)

Fluorite - Xianghualing_Hunan Province_China.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2020 06:33    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Bruce Friedman wrote:
No hablo French. Help, por favor, en English.

Bruce Friedman

Hello Bruce,

Following the main information from the newspaper article:

They will try to organize the mineral show from the 20th to the 23th of August with one third of the exhibitors.

They will respect all the covid-19 rules (masks, disinfectant gels, person flow,…)
Only the European exhibitors could be present because the European borders will be closed until September.
They have made a survey and among the 495 answers (77% of the exhibitors), 45% say “yes” to the new date, 20% “maybe” and 35% “no”.
The exhibitors that said “no” did so because it’s financially too risky and because Alsace is one region in France with the most covid-19 cases.
They will open only the “Mineral” site.
They will cancel the Prestige Exhibit.
They are confident for the next year because 70% of the exhibitors outside of Europe have not claimed the money paid in advance to keep for 2021.
Then they explain why they have chosen these dates (must be in summer because it’s outside, there are other exhibitions and they don’t want the dates to be to close to the Munich Show).

Sorry for the quality of my English.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2020 09:41    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - The lightness of the weight  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
The lightness of the weight
Mineral: Fluorite
Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
Dimensions: 12 × 6.7 × 4.8 cm
What an incredibly beautiful fluorite, simply perfect!

cascaillou

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2020 02:23    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Quarantine entertainment:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Crystals-Minerals-Gems/576296 :-)
(link normalized by FMF)

Bruce Friedman

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2020 11:10    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Thank you Dany for taking the time to translate. Very much appreciated.

Bruce Friedman

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2020 11:35    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Bruce Friedman wrote:
Thank you Dany for taking the time to translate. Very much appreciated.

Bruce Friedman

You're Welcome.

In the future if you need more translation, don't hesitate to ask.

Dany.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2020 16:42    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Rumi in Viladrau  

After 43 days of strict confinement at home, yesterday was the first day in Spain that children under 14 years old were allowed outside. There are some rules limiting what children can do outside from now on, and unfortunately not everyone was following those rules. Anyway, here we see Alfredo Petrov's daughter Rumi enjoying her newfound liberty in the beautiful little mountain town of Viladrau (while still following the social distancing rules)

Rumi on Viladrau at the end of the lockdown.jpg
 Description:
Photo: Alfredo Petrov
 Viewed:  16208 Time(s)

Rumi on Viladrau at the end of the lockdown.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2020 13:28    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Golden wish  

Golden wish

Gold with Quartz - Round Mountain Mine_Nevada_USA.jpg
 Mineral: Gold on Quartz
 Locality:
Round Mountain Mine, Round Mountain, Round Mountain District, Nye County, Nevada, USA
 Dimensions: 5.3 × 3.1 × 1.7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  16106 Time(s)

Gold with Quartz - Round Mountain Mine_Nevada_USA.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2020 14:30    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

You might be surprised how many collectors don't realize that these gold specimens and those similar ones from the Eagle's Nest Mine in California have been extensively etched out of the quartz.
The delicate gold leaf does not ever grow freely like that, so the specimens have to be extensively prepared.
Nice specimen, but not remotely the way it was originally found in the natural state. Bob

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2020 15:49    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi to everybody! Here in Italy the situation is a little better than 3 weeks ago. The people admitted in hospital are decreasing day by day, and moreover the people needing intensive therapy, but still there were almost 400 deaths today. On May 4 we can just walk out of our home, but we can't go out of our municipality, but for job and primary necessity. No restaurants until (at least) June, no museum until (at least) May 18, just some factories and small shops are opening on next May 4. But we are starting to see a small light at the end of this bloody tunnel. Masks and gloves are of course compulsory whenever we go out and we have to keep at least 1 m distance even in our home with our family!
Ok, never surrender! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Carl

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2020 16:16    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

cascaillou wrote:

Quarantine entertainment:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Crystals-Minerals-Gems/576296 :-)
(link normalized by FMF)

I cannot speak to the others on this list, but "David K. Joyce - Nuggets And High Grade: Mining And Mineral Collecting Songs Of David K. Joyce" is excellent. The songs are filled with humor that will resonate with mineral collectors, and a few have a touch of the sentimental.

If you have never seen and heard Dave live, come and visit us next year at Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, where he always favors us with his songs!

bob kerr

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2020 17:26    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

As the temperatures hit 100 deg F here in Tucson, all kinds of desert dwellers come out into the open. Saw the attached today - a rare sighting - my first.

bob

IMG_3506.JPG
 Mineral: Gila monster
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  15980 Time(s)

IMG_3506.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG
 Mineral: Gila monster
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  15963 Time(s)

IMG_3510.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2020 02:10    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Bob Harman wrote:
You might be surprised how many collectors don't realize that these gold specimens and those similar ones from the Eagle's Nest Mine in California have been extensively etched out of the quartz. The delicate gold leaf does not ever grow freely like that, so the specimens have to be extensively prepared. Nice specimen, but not remotely the way it was originally found in the natural state. Bob

Hi Bob, I think most of us - including Jordi - know quite well how much prep work it takes to make a specimen look like that. But that applies not only for gold, many minerals took a long way from an encrusted piece of rock to a sparkling specimen in our displays ... ;-)

(I know this is a philosophical question among collectors, but imho I think that this kind of man-made "manipulation" is acceptable, otherwise we would miss a lot of the great mineral classics.)

Chris Rayburn

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2020 07:24    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Handsome fellow Bob. I've never seen one in my travels through Arizona.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

So we three are sat at home coping well, I think. My son got home from university (Glasgow) just in time so all three of us are trying to find a good way to live together. As the house is made up of two 1820s cottages we converted it back into three 'mini-flats'. So we each have our own bathroom, bedroom and office. The common rooms (the fourth 'flat') are the lounge, kitchen and 'rock room', where all the minerals live. We gather for meals and coffee now my son is out of the 7-day quarantine we put him in when he got home (as I have MS)

We have taken the opportunity to do some chores, sort out things and help run the local group that helps people who have to isolate, with a cloud database (I used to write database software many years ago). We have not done much with the minerals but hope to soon.

Bruce Friedman

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2020 17:24    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

I belive that varmint is a Gila Monster..indigenous to the area.
Any herpetologists out there to confirm?

Bruce

Bruce Friedman

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2020 17:25    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Woops, just saw the label!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 01, 2020 14:14    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Ste. Marie 2020 canceled  

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020 canceled 😢

Mineral & Gem à Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines wrote:

OFFICIAL RELEASE

Dear exhibitors, partners, visitors and friends,

As we promised you, we will give you new information for the long-awaited event. Following the address of Prime Minister Édouard Philippe, Tuesday, April 28, and the Board of Directors of EVA, meets on Thursday, April 30th, we are pleased to announce the cancellation of the Mineral & Gem 2020. International Fair.

This is a hard hit for many of you... It's also a test for all local actors: associations, merchants, restaurants and hotel, artisans and providers... a frustrated passion for many visitors, schools, museums,... we are all the more grieved. We wanted to offer everyone, as much as possible, the cultural and economic links of a post-lockdown recovery. We had hoped so much, even as far as to consult and interview our exhibitors, partners and the Administrative Authorities to imagine a delay of the event in August under possible conditions. An option that proved to be possible by organizing the event around 400 European exhibitors exclusively.

Health is essential and priority, the epidemic of COVID-19 is not yet curbed and everyone at their level must stop it. We choose risk 0 for our visitors, exhibitors, partners, providers, associations, volunteers and staff. So we decided not to consider postponing, simply cancel Mineral & Gem in 2020 and prepare an even more extraordinary edition in 2021.

If you have already purchased tickets for the 2020 edition, you will be contacted by one of our employees who will offer you refund or delay of validity.

In this incredible situation, we would like to express our appreciation for your many messages of support on our social media, email... Dear exhibitors, dear visitors and dear partners, we thank you from the bottom of our heart for the trust and support that you keep giving us.

We give you an appointment in 2021, from June 24th to 27th for an exceptional Sainte-Marie Mineral & Gem Show, we give you our word!!

In the meantime, take care of yourself and your loved ones,
See you soon,

The Mineral & Gem team
Claude Abel, President
Jean Patris, General Manager

CV-19_Coronavirus - Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020 canceled.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  15521 Time(s)

CV-19_Coronavirus - Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020 canceled.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 02, 2020 16:49    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Heroes  

The care teams

They are working more than 10-12 uninterrupted hours, every day and they have been doing it for months. They (badly) sleep in the Hospitals or, if they are lucky, in hotels enabled for them to avoid going back to their homes and passing the CV-19 on to their family members, and, above all, having to accompany each day to the people on his end and see how the people die without being able to even have their relatives close by.
Has anyone accompanied a family member at the time of their death? it's terrible. Imagine if your workday was to live that experience 10-12 hours every day clad in a kind of diving suit...
Heroes

Covid19 - Coronavirus - Heroes.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  15308 Time(s)

Covid19 - Coronavirus - Heroes.jpg

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 03, 2020 09:11    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

hi to everybody! Fully agree: they are truly heroes! In Italy almost 200 of them have given and lost their life for us. But now we are seeing a small light at the end of this bloody tunnel, and one day we will get back and meet one another at the mineralogical expositions or at mines and quarries and research minerals!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 14 of 19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  

Jump to: