We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:02

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The rock that got away…
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 14:31    Post subject: The rock that got away…  

It happens once in a while that I come across some rocks that I want really badly in my collections but for some reason or another I’m unable to make the purchase. Then I wonder if I will ever find something as good again. Ok, no regrets, I will find other interesting rocks, but still...
There are several that got away, for example a nice barite with realgar inclusions, a large thick stibnite, a perfect crocoite, an amazing purple-green fluorite, just to name a few. On the other hand, I was lucky to grab my hand on other amazing pieces. So I guess that compensates. Collecting is also about the thrill of the hunt.

What’s your rock that got away?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 14:43    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

TNTC

(Too numerous to count) ;-)

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 14:56    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Hi David,

My rock that went away eventually came back. While in Colorado I visited a famous mineral dealer in the Denver Metro. He showed me a couple of red rocks he thought I would be interested in. I really liked one of them but as I couldn't afford it at that time, he sold it to another collector.

A few years later I saw that very specimen for sale on his website. This time I was able to buy it. So the specimen was back again. Of course, this is a one time experience (to tell the truth a 2 times experience as it happened for another rock too). For the others I missed: there are just too many of them to worry about.

You are right, collecting is more about hunting, than anything else. For most of us the best rock is the one you don't yet have in your collection.

Chris.

David

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 15:01    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Don,

Is this list increasing or decreasing? :)))

David

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 15:07    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Chris,

You were lucky! Twice? :)
It was meant to be, those rocks were looking for you!
I don't feel that lucky. Time will tell.

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 16:07    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

David wrote:
Don,

Is this list increasing or decreasing? :)))

Increasing !

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 18:48    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Gotta agree with Don...TMTC.

But the ones that come back are really memorable. I bought this pyrite pseudomorph after pyrrhotite at Santa Eulalia in about 1988 and someone liberated it before I got home. About 20 years later I found it for sale at a small regional show and promptly bought it again....probably for about 20x what I originally gave for it!

We live in a very small world sometimes

thumbnail_20200415_162745.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite after Pyrrhotite
 Locality:
Santa Eulalia District, Municipio Aquiles Serdán, Chihuahua, Mexico
 Dimensions: 8cm
 Description:
Flat platy hexagonal pyrrhotite replaced by pyrite
 Viewed:  16075 Time(s)

thumbnail_20200415_162745.jpg

Carl

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 20:38    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

A magnificent, large cabinet quartz and hematite from Chubb Lake, New York. At the St. Lawrence County, New York show 20+ years ago. Most dealers/sellers were outside, it was bad weather, and very few people were present at the time. The price was at the very top end of what I had ever spent for a specimen, and I went to the next booth to think about it. Less than ten minutes later I went to buy it and it was gone. I actually thought the lady was pulling my leg, it had been so short of a period of time that had passed. I have seen thousands of Chubb Lake specimens, but can honestly say it was the best one I ever had my hands on.

There is another FMF thread also just started about dreaming about minerals.This specimen is one of the few I have ever dreamt about; many times.

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 23:18    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

After a couple got away, I've developed a strategy. Usually the dealer will put it aside for me overnight - " to pray over". I can check my databases for how it would fit in my collection and do a 'gut check' to see if I really want it for that price. My ultimate question after my eyes alight on something special is: Would I feel bad if it got away?
Most decisions after answering this question have proved right over the years, and hardly ever does a prized one get away.
'Just miss that 3/8ths inch spinel twin of gold I walked away from because it was $135.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2020 02:51    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

There are several rocks that got away, both because I didn't purchase them or because I sold them and later regretted that decisions ...

... the perfect 5 cm specimen of Tsumeb dioptase with a nearly 1 cm crystal I didn't buy some years ago because I already spent my budget, some time later it was sold ... it was simply perfect :-(

... same story with a stunning 15 cm cluster of transparent yellow quartz from Nepal a few years ago. It would have been in my budget if I had not bought other specimens. I so much wish I had purchased that spectacular quartz from Nepal :-(

... the beautiful and large 20 cm fluorite from West Pasture Mine with clear crystals that I returned because my space was limited and I already had a fluorite from that mine ... actually I should have kept that large one, it was the better one :-(

... the outstanding 10 cm Picher Field galena specimen with perfect crystals up to 4 cm that I sold because I was glad about the money that allowed me to purchase other specimens ... until today I regret it because I miss that perfect galena specimen :-(

... the large showy specimen of almandine from the Austrian Alps ... same story as the one with the Picher Field galena :-(

... the classic Freiberg fluorite with a large twin that I sold because I thought I would not miss it :-(

Fortunately not "TMTC" but nevertheless bad decisions! It comforts me to hear that I'm not alone :-)

Regards
Tobi

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2020 04:44    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

The most vivid experience in my case is a specimen that didn’t really get away but took a couple of years to get into my collection.
I started attending the Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines mineral show in the early 2000s and one of the highlights of the show was the booth of Roger Titeux, a famous French mineral dealer from Nancy (Eastern France).
Mr. Titeux was already in his late 80s when I first met him in SMAM and the dominant colors in his booth were green and blue - Emerald green and Euclase blue.
In the 2005 show, a very large emerald specimen from Coscuez with a mix of dark gray and colorless calcite caught my eye, but when asked, Mr. Titeux told me it was not for sale.
I found out that Mr. Titeux had actually several pieces on display that he wanted to go for his children.
Useless to say that over the following years, I made Mr. Titeux several offers for that specimen but his answer was invariably the same.
I met him last in the 2009 show when he was in his mid-90s. “My” specimen was still on display in his booth but his "no" was weaker than in the previous years.
Roger Titeux passed away a few months later at the age of 96.
A year later, I was contacted by a French dealer who had some acquaintance with the family. The rest is history.
Gerard

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2020 10:10    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Not having unlimited funds, or unlimited storage space for the collection, I long ago reconciled myself to this situation, and try not to think about it too much. I guess the one thing that still comes to mind once in a while are the really good ones from the Rogerley that we had to sell to raise money for the operation. I sometimes wonder where they ended up. Not that it really matters, as I am sure I could never afford to by them back should they become available!

Specimen-080209ar.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: approximately 35 cm across
 Description:
Recovered in August 2009. Current whereabouts unknown.
 Viewed:  15873 Time(s)

Specimen-080209ar.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2020 11:55    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

David wrote:
Chris,

You were lucky! Twice? :)
It was meant to be, those rocks were looking for you!
I don't feel that lucky. Time will tell.

Was I lucky : probably. But I think that patience helped a lot. Here is the "boomerang" rock. I hope it will happen to you as well.

SHM.jpg
 Mineral: Rhodochrosite & sulfides
 Dimensions: 10x8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  15840 Time(s)

SHM.jpg

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2020 15:37    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
The most vivid experience in my case is a specimen that didn’t really get away but took a couple of years to get into my collection.
I started attending the Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines mineral show in the early 2000s and one of the highlights of the show was the booth of Roger Titeux, a famous French mineral dealer from Nancy (Eastern France).
Mr. Titeux was already in his late 80s when I first met him in SMAM and the dominant colors in his booth were green and blue - Emerald green and Euclase blue.
In the 2005 show, a very large emerald specimen from Coscuez with a mix of dark gray and colorless calcite caught my eye, but when asked, Mr. Titeux told me it was not for sale.
I found out that Mr. Titeux had actually several pieces on display that he wanted to go for his children.
Useless to say that over the following years, I made Mr. Titeux several offers for that specimen but his answer was invariably the same.
I met him last in the 2009 show when he was in his mid-90s. “My” specimen was still on display in his booth but his "no" was weaker than in the previous years.
A year later, I was contacted by a French dealer who had some acquaintance with the family. The rest is history.
Gerard

Gerard, what about the "rest of the story?" As Paul Harvey used to say to end his radio broadcast.

Is there a picture? ;-)

Don

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 03:57    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Incredibly beautiful Rogerley masterpiece, Jesse. I hope it found a good place in the collection of someone who really cherishes it ...
And Chris, you can be glad about this boomerang, this is such a wonderful specimen!

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 04:14    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Don Lum wrote:
Fiebre Verde wrote:
Gerard

Gerard, what about the "rest of the story?" As Paul Harvey used to say to end his radio broadcast.

Is there a picture? ;-)

Don

Good to hear from you Don!
Here is the illustrated story ;-)
Gerard

Roger_Titeux_Euclase_1.jpg
 Description:
SMAM 2008 - Roger Titeux proudly holding a Gachalá specimen with a gigantic euclase crystal
 Viewed:  15699 Time(s)

Roger_Titeux_Euclase_1.jpg

Roger_Titeux_Euclase_2.jpg
 Description:
SMAM 2008 - Another shot of Roger Titeux proudly holding a Gachalá specimen with a gigantic euclase crystal. Useless to say the specimen was not for sale at that time.
 Viewed:  15741 Time(s)

Roger_Titeux_Euclase_2.jpg

Coscuez.JPG
 Mineral: Beryl (var. Emerald), Calcite, Pyrite
 Locality:
Coscuez mining district, Municipio San Pablo de Borbur, Western Emerald Belt, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 125mm x 125mm x 85mm, xls=22x15 & 18x17mm
 Description:
The rock that (almost) got away...
 Viewed:  15705 Time(s)

Coscuez.JPG

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 04:39    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Oh, yes. It was worth waiting for all those years!
Congratulations, Gérard.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 04:39    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

I have been watching this thread and wondering what I can add to the stories.

As I look back I can think of specimens I sold and now regret - I once had the pleasure of emptying a pocket in a mine [not named, sorry but if you saw a photo you would know the mine] where no hammer was required after I broke into the bottom of the pocket, as a mixture of fine sand and specimens just poured out into my hands - I had to block the opening with my left hand to stop them falling onto the floor of the mine. I must have collected about 30-40 floaters from the pocket. Over the years I sold some of them as I reduced the number of 'rocks' stored in the garage and then one day I realised I had nothing left from the pocket. They were not wonderful specimens but I was fond of them.

Some years later I found out that I had given my parents a couple of them but had forgotten this. So I was reunited with two specimens from the pocket. Not the best but one is not bad.

I also remember the time I was walking back through the mountains from hours of collecting in a mine and I fell over, damaging the best specimen I had ever seen from the mine. While collecting that day I spent so long opening up a pocket, while my body blocked the entrance, that I almost ran out of oxygen. But I could see the specimen and there was no way I was going to leave it behind. I still have it and it is not bad, but it is nowhere near the one I collected.

Then there was the pocket I opened in a quarry that produced the best find I have ever made. Before we loaded the ~10 specimens into the car a person came up who forced us to hand them over, using the threat of force. In the end, he let me buy the best piece back, which I still have but every time I see it I recall all the ones he took and having to buy back something I had found.

So three stories that might entertain

James

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 04:58    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Sante Celiberti wrote:
Congratulations, Gérard.

Thank you Sante!
With all its ups and downs, the wait was most rewarding.
Incidentally, that wait allowed me to get to know a bit about Roger Titeux.
Gérard

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 09:11    Post subject: Re: The rock that got away…  

Sante Celiberti wrote:
Congratulations, Gérard.

I heartily agree with Sante. This was certainly worth waiting for.
Congratulations, Gerard. And thanks for "the rest of the story."

Stay safe.

Don

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: