We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 31, 2020 05:04    Post subject: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Although Ukraine has a large mining industry, I see few specimens coming from Ukraine. Why is that? Are there interesting minerals there? From what I see, they have some amazing heliodors and cinnabars. What else?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

SteveB

PostPosted: May 31, 2020 06:01    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Certainly there are interesting minerals in every country on earth. Ukraine is in a region of war and politcal unrest in recent years so they've had plenty of other concerns than a mere hobby. No doubt many great specimens have gone through the crushers in the mining industry for resource and economic needs. Fossicking in troubled regions is less relaxing when you may get shot or maimed from unexploded ordnance. There will be specimens continuously emerging but in small numbers and getting them out of the country may be difficult too.

This raises an interesting thought. Countries recovering from conflict anywhere in the world need to rebuild economically as well as their physical infrastructure. I imagine it presents opportunities for building relationships with the locals involved in road building activities to keep an eye out for interesting specimens while bulldozing etc.

I just think local troubles is the root reason, remember this is a hobby, which requires a stable economy and safety for the public to take an interest in. Mining is about money and crystals are the purest form of a resource and its only been in recent years that some mines have taken the extra time to set aside attractive specimens to sell to hobbyists market. Otherwise its just quicker and easier to crush everything for a better yield of a resource in a shorter time span. Part of the problem with war torn areas is you lose the generational inheritance of the hobby, just think how many of us have happy memories of fossicking with our parents when we were children. People today who didn't grow up understanding the fun of a hobby don't have the deep interest I feel, instead they see hobbies as things to make a quick buck on.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: May 31, 2020 06:20    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Here in Czech Republic I still see new lovely minerals from Volodarsk-Volinskiy coming to shows or sold to dealers and collectors who know the persons still mining [for specimens] there. The Western 2/3 of Ukraine is not so affected by the violence in the Eastern third - and the tension in the South with Krim [Crimea].

David

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 03:14    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your reply! I would say that most countries must have interesting minerals, every country sits on some sort of minerals. However, I am a bit skeptical that very small countries like Monaco, Vatican, San Marino, Nauru, Seychelles, Singapore or other tiny island nations produce interesting minerals. I might just be wrong :) If anyone has minerals in their collection from these countries, please let us know, that would be very interesting.
I am well aware about the unfortunate situation in Ukraine, as it is something that concerns the entire region. However, I imagine we should have seen specimens prior to this crisis. Plus, Ukraine is a very big country, not all regions were affected to the same extent. And I suppose that economic activity, including mining, must go on.
Regarding the opportunity to rebuild the infrastructure, that happens if you still have the land to build upon. I think Ukraine and its mining industry deserve a brighter future! Any Ukranian collectors here, by the way?

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 03:34    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

David wrote:
...I am a bit skeptical that very small countries like Monaco, Vatican, San Marino, Nauru, Seychelles, Singapore or other tiny island nations produce interesting minerals...

Fiji!

Tellurium with Quartz - Emperor Mine_Viti Levu_Fiji.jpg
 Mineral: Tellurium on Quartz
 Locality:
Emperor Mine, Vatukoula, Tavua, Viti Levu Island, Fiji
 Dimensions: Main crystal size: 1.4 × 0.3 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  17347 Time(s)

Tellurium with Quartz - Emperor Mine_Viti Levu_Fiji.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 04:01    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

I have a friend who is a collector and he just spent a year getting at least one specimen from EVERY nation recognized by the United Nations - including the Vatican. In some cases he wrote to the head of some agency in those nations, and found them very happy to comply. However, many of those specimens were not very special. The one, above, from Fiji is VERY impressive!!!

As for minerals from Ukraine, generally, I was to the Mineral Museum in St. Petersberg, and it has thousands of FANTASTIC mineral specimens from Ukraine! Topaz up to 50Kg and nicely formed morion quartz XX the size of cars - and others.

David

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 06:03    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Thank you very much, that looks amazing! Good thing I didn't mention Fiji :)

David

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 06:27    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hello, Peter!

Your friend had a very cool idea, that is an interesting criteria for a collection. Especially considering that Geography was my first passion. I was thinking about that, but I find this undertaking to be very difficult, as you've mentioned.
Just an idea, it would be nice to have a giant map on the wall, with a transparent display case in front of it and put every specimen in front of the country of origin. :).
I would love to see that!
Do you think your friend would be willing to share some details? This is so amazing, I'm sure others would like to hear about this.
A mineral from Vatican? Vaticanite? Sweet! Hope it's not from the Vatican wall.
I would love to visit Sankt Petersburg, good yo know, thanks!

Robert Seitz

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 17:47    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

David wrote:
Although Ukraine has a large mining industry, I see few specimens coming from Ukraine. Why is that? Are there interesting minerals there? From what I see, they have some amazing heliodors and cinnabars. What else?

I have two specimens with molybdenite, biotite, feldspar. A picture of one attached.

IMG_5170.JPG
 Mineral: Molybdenite, Biotite, Feldspar
 Dimensions: 100 mm X 85 mm X 85
 Description:
 Viewed:  17127 Time(s)

IMG_5170.JPG

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2020 22:24    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

David wrote:
Hello, Peter!

Your friend had a very cool idea, that is an interesting criteria for a collection. Especially considering that Geography was my first passion. I was thinking about that, but I find this undertaking to be very difficult, as you've mentioned.
Just an idea, it would be nice to have a giant map on the wall, with a transparent display case in front of it and put every specimen in front of the country of origin. :).
Do you think your friend would be willing to share some details? This is so amazing, I'm sure others would like to hear about this.

While an active collector, he does not participate on this Forum, so don't expect him to post here. To me, personally, it is a rather strange idea, as the nations borders are arbitrary and dictated by history and wars [for the most part] of the centuries. Therefore artificial divisions on a map. However, it is one way to try to have a sub-collection that attempts to get a 'best' specimen from one of each. Many he worked to find at shows, through contacts, online, etc. A few small and unmineralized or paved over [Vatican], he took to writing to authorities there to obtain specimens. He now claims to have one from every entity other than the Soverign Order of the Knights of Malta [who no longer had any land for the 'soverign].

David

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2020 01:50    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Peter,

Such a pity your friend is not on this forum, I bet he has a lot of interesting stories to tell about his collection.
You are totally right about borders and yes, it is strange, but I like strange ideas. For some, collecting rough minerals might seem strange. They could say: I understand jewels, but rough minerals? You actually pay for rocks? But you can find rocks anywhere!
I am willing to hear the story about any sort of collection. OK, as long as it is not something macabre or things like that. It is interesting to see things, maybe usual things, from a different perspective. Plus, I do find passionate people to be fascinating. Especially if they know how to tell a story.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2020 02:04    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hi to everybody! As a matter of fact there is a possibility for a mineral to be mined in Vatican territory. The Pope's villa in Castelgandolfo near Rome belongs to the Vatican state and its terrain ends on the Albano Laziale lake, whose sand and origin are volcanic!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

David wrote:
Hello, Peter!

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

David

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2020 03:16    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Riccardo,

Thank you, that was so funny, so there might be a chance for Vaticanite, Gandalfite, or Francisite, if someone finds a new mineral there. :)
Any idea regarding San Marino? Can you find something on Monte Titano?

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2020 07:04    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hi to everybody, hi David!
Well, Monte Titano is mostly sedimentary, fossils are more likely to be found there, but sulphur mines in Perticara are not too far from there! However it's likely to find chalcite and/or aragonite in the Republic of San Marino. But the biggest majority of people doesn't know we have another independent State included in the Italian territory: its name is Granducate of Seborga, close to San Remo. You may look for it on Internet. It is interesting even form a geological point of view, as well as the whole Ligurian inland
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo

David wrote:
Riccardo,

Thank you, that was so funny, so there might be a chance for Vaticanite, Gandalfite, or Francisite, if someone finds a new mineral there. :)
Any idea regarding San Marino? Can you find something on Monte Titano?

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

David

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2020 02:51    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hello, Riccardo,

Thank you very much for your answer! I see that the Perticara mines are now closed. Amazing specimens! But aragonite and calcite would do for me. I haven't been using my rock pick in a while because of the covid restrictions. In fact, I was planning to visit Italy just before the crisis started, I even made reservations. I wanted to attend the Bologna Mineral Show in March and also take some sightseeings, but sadly I had to cancel. I understand that the show eventually took place recently, at the end of May. I wonder if the number of participants was at a normal level.
I've never heard about the Granducate of Seborgia (only Seaborgium comes to my mind), but I'm not surprised. I've googled it and doesn't seem to be an independent state, although it was at some point in history, like many other Italian cities. I understand that it is more like ceremonial. Plus, it is a tiny town, of less than 300 inhabitants. I find the case of Campione d'Italia to be even more intriguing.

Thank you for this very pleasant conversation! I could talk about minerals and countries for days!

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2020 06:43    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Good luck getting a mineral from the 'territory' of the Soverign Order of the Knights of Malta - who for some purposes are a 'state' [and NOT for most others], who once had territory and now do not - although they have many embassies. The one in Prague is HUGE!!! [one of the largest of any 'nation ' and only outsized by about 6].

They have formal diplomatic relations with 110 states and has official relations with another five states and with the European Union.[12] Additionally it has relations with the International Committee of the Red Cross and a number of international organizations, including observer status at the UN and some of the specialized agencies.[65] Its international nature is useful in enabling it to pursue its humanitarian activities without being seen as an operative of any particular nation. Its sovereignty is also expressed in the issuance of passports, licence plates,[66] stamps,[67] and coins.[68]

David

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2020 11:12    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Peter Lemkin wrote:
Good luck getting a mineral from the 'territory' of the Soverign Order of the Knights of Malta - who for some purposes are a 'state' [and NOT for most others], who once had territory and now do not - although they have many embassies. The one in Prague is HUGE!!! [one of the largest of any 'nation ' and only outsized by about 6].

They have formal diplomatic relations with 110 states and has official relations with another five states and with the European Union.[12] Additionally it has relations with the International Committee of the Red Cross and a number of international organizations, including observer status at the UN and some of the specialized agencies.[65] Its international nature is useful in enabling it to pursue its humanitarian activities without being seen as an operative of any particular nation. Its sovereignty is also expressed in the issuance of passports, licence plates,[66] stamps,[67] and coins.[68]

Yes, that is weird and funny, thank you for mentioning Peter! Really, it is hard to answer the question how many countries are there in the world. Define country! You might have 196, 200, 250, several hundreds, depends if you only count those recognized by all the other recognized countries, those recognized by some other countries, those recognized by one or no country, those recognized by two people. But the maximum number should be around 7,800,000,000. That is if you limit the number of countries to one per person and if you don't count those purely fictional.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2020 04:27    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Hi to everybody! the Bologna show didn't take place at all, for what I know! Campione d'Italia is an Italian village, belonging to Italy (Lombardy, Province Como) fully surronded by Swiss territory. It'a so-called "enclave", like Llivia, a Spanish town surrounded by French territory. If you look for Seborga in the Italian site of Google (.it), you will find it. Perticara (Romagna, Province Rimini), is very famous because of sulphur and aragonite. The mines are no longer in activity, but I think the research is partially allowed, if you respect the security rules.
Covid-19: the situation in Lombardy and Italy is still bloody (85 people more died yesterday, 21 in Lombardy; 518 new cases in Italy and 402 of them are here in Lombardy. Let's wait for 6pm, when the ney bulletin comes out). An improvement is however evident. Two months ago we had at least 650 deaths per day, in one day we had 978 deaths at the end of March.

David

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2020 12:07    Post subject: Re: Any interesting minerals from Ukraine?  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody! the Bologna show didn't take place at all, for what I know! Campione d'Italia is an Italian village, belonging to Italy (Lombardy, Province Como) fully surronded by Swiss territory. It'a so-called "enclave", like Llivia, a Spanish town surrounded by French territory. If you look for Seborga in the Italian site of Google (.it), you will find it. Perticara (Romagna, Province Rimini), is very famous because of sulphur and aragonite. The mines are no longer in activity, but I think the research is partially allowed, if you respect the security rules.
Covid-19: the situation in Lombardy and Italy is still bloody (85 people more died yesterday, 21 in Lombardy; 518 new cases in Italy and 402 of them are here in Lombardy. Let's wait for 6pm, when the ney bulletin comes out). An improvement is however evident. Two months ago we had at least 650 deaths per day, in one day we had 978 deaths at the end of March.

Hello, Riccardo!

I suppose you know better regarding the Bologna Mineral Show. I've just seen some older announcement that the show is to be posponed for the end of May, that's it.

Llivia is also an interesting case. But what do you say about Baarle-Hertog, an exclave of Belgium in the Netherlands. What is really weird is that the area of the Belgian town is not contiguous, it is composed of many pieces intermingled with those belonging to the Dutch town of Baarle-Nassaw. Meaning that one house can be in Belgium and the one next to it in the Netherlands.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any country spared by the coronavirus at this point. I only hope that the situation will gradually improve and maybe some new mechanisms can be put into place to prevent such destruction in the future.

Stay safe as much as possible!

Regards,
Alex

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: