We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 23:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What is worth collecting from the Balkan Peninsula?

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2020 13:00    Post subject: What is worth collecting from the Balkan Peninsula?  

Hello all!

If you are kind to share with me some opinions on what do you thing is interesting to collect from the Balkan Peninsula, in terms of minerals, of course? What do you think it's unique, special or worth having from this area?

Thank you very much!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2020 04:04    Post subject: Re: What is worth collecting from the Balkan Peninsula?  

Hi David,

there are SO MANY minerals from the Balkan Peninsula that I can say: Yes, it is interesting and it is worth it. It's up to you what kind of minerals you like but I'm sure most collectors will like some stuff from the many many localities of that region of the world. Just think of the endless amounts of ore minerals from Trepca/Kosovo or from Romania (and don't forget that some of the best vivianites in the world are from Romania!), the many many colourful and often rare minerals from Lavrion/Greece and also others like Madan/Bulgaria with its spectacular sulfides. There are also some really spectacular pyromorphites from Bulgaria.

I'm not specialized in Balkan minerals and I only own a few, but some years ago we had a Balkan special exhibition at our local mineral museum ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1665 ) and I remember the many incredible Balkan specimens at the Terra Mineralia in Freiberg ... and that's why I think that MANY minerals from the Balkan Peninsula are worth collecting :-)

I hope I could help with this input, best regards
Tobi

David

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2020 11:43    Post subject: Re: What is worth collecting from the Balkan Peninsula?  

Tobi wrote:
Hi David,

there are SO MANY minerals from the Balkan Peninsula that I can say: Yes, it is interesting and it is woth it. It's up to you what kind of minerals you like but I'm sure most collectors will like some stuff from the many many localities of that region of the world. Just think of the endless amounts of ore minerals from Trepca/Kosovo or from Romania (and don't forget that some of the best vivianites in the world are from Romania!), the many many colourful and often rare minerals from Lavrion/Greece and also others like Madan/Bulgaria with its spectacular sulfides. There are also some really spectacular pyromorphites from Bulgaria.

I'm not specialized in Balkan minerals and I only own a few, but some years ago we had a Balkan special exhibition at our local mineral museum ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1665 ) and I remember the many incredible Balkan specimens at the Terra Mineralia in Freiberg ... and that's why I think that MANY minerals from the Balkan Peninsula are worth collecting :-)

I hope I could help with this input, best regards
Tobi

Hello, Tobi,

You are very nice, as always! Thank you for your answer!
Well, I do have a humble opinion on this, I just wanted to see how others, more experienced collectors, perceive this area.
I am aware of the sites you have mentioned, I wanted to know in what do you think they excel. Yes, pyromorphites would be one option. From what I see they are quite rare. I would also say galena, sphalerite and rhodos from Madan, sphalerite, rhodos, dolomite, wulfenite from Trepca, azurite, adamite, smithsonite, agardite, aurichalcite, fluorite from Lavrion. Romania? Rhodos, stibnite, baryte, realgar, calcite, siderite, thetraedrite, galena, gypsum, semseyite, nagyagite, native gold, hessite, scheelite, just to name a few. And vivianite, of course.
I'm afraid I like too many minerals!
Well, if you count Romania in the Balkan Peninsula, then I have more than a few specimens. However, I wouldn't include Romania, geographically speaking, in the Balkan Peninsula. Although it does share strong historical ties with this neighboring region, it is not per se part of it. The northern boundary of the Balkan Peninsula is the Danube River. Romania lays to the north of the Danube, except a tiny part, Dobruja.
Thank you again!
I'm curious what others have to say about the minerals from this region.

Regards,
David

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: