We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

mcclureirl

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2020 23:41    Post subject: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

I found this rock on a trail in Breckenridge, CO. The rock was next to a tree in the dirt close to a river. I noticed the white face with the dark metallic crystals. When I pulled it out of the dirt I noticed the back had a some nice looking dark metallic crystals embedded. There is a slight yellowish tint to these metallic dark crystals.

I was curious if anyone had any ideas what this could be? I am not an expert and fairly new at rock collecting.

Any suggestions on how to I should go about cleaning this up?

20200721_220711.jpg
 Locality:
Breckenridge District, Summit County, Colorado, USA
 Dimensions: 4 cm x 4 cm x 8 cm
 Description:
Front (Outside of Earth)
 Viewed:  5682 Time(s)

20200721_220711.jpg

20200721_220630.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Back Side (Deepest in Earth)
 Viewed:  5653 Time(s)

20200721_220630.jpg

20200721_230012.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Side
 Viewed:  5657 Time(s)

20200721_230012.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Volkmar Stingl

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2020 00:06    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

I think, this is a massive chunk of quartz with patches of biotite (mica). The yellow-green in the second picture seems to be a reflection on a mica (maybe muskovite?), but could also be pyrite. A better photo would help.

mcclureirl

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2020 00:24    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

Volkmar Stingl wrote:
I think, this is a massive chunk of quartz with patches of biotite (mica). The yellow-green in the second picture seems to be a reflection on a mica (maybe muskovite?), but could also be pyrite. A better photo would help.

Volkmar,

Thanks for the response! You are right, this does look like biotite now that I have seen some images online. Attached is another of the second image. Let me know what you think.

20200721_225953.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  5629 Time(s)

20200721_225953.jpg

Volkmar Stingl

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2020 05:55    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

I think, it is also mica (with another orientation, therefore the reflections). But I am not completely sure, because the picture is a little bit out of focus.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2020 08:21    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

Massive quartz looks right, cant tell about much else. This could be a discard from one of the many vein mines in that area. If you're determined it's worth cleaning you can start with a 2 day soak in soapy water followed by a brisk hosing...being careful not to dislodge any of the other bits ( test with your fingers first to see if they're loose. If that simple approach doesn't get it clean enough for you...it looks like it will still have a rusty staining on it...your local hardware store sells something called Iron Out, which will remove rusty stains. It works best with hot water and may take 2 or 3 soakings in IO to come clean. IO is not an aggressive chemical, but it is a chemical so follow the safety precautions on the container, wear rubber gloves and don't breathe the fumes. Outside is best

mcclureirl

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2020 12:59    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

Thanks for your suggestions Peter. I am fairly new at collecting and appreciate the tips. I will clean it up a bit, mainly to see the crystals better.

Volkmar, thanks for your responses. It is definitely tricky getting the focus right on this piece. I will clean it up a bit and see if that helps. I am more leaning towards your suggestion of mica. Maybe the cleaning will help. Thanks again.

R Saunders

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2020 07:57    Post subject: Re: Pyrargyrite, Pyrite any ideas?  

Peter Megaw wrote:
Massive quartz looks right, cant tell about much else. This could be a discard from one of the many vein mines in that area. If you're determined it's worth cleaning you can start with a 2 day soak in soapy water followed by a brisk hosing...being careful not to dislodge any of the other bits ( test with your fingers first to see if they're loose. If that simple approach doesn't get it clean enough for you...it looks like it will still have a rusty staining on it...your local hardware store sells something called Iron Out, which will remove rusty stains. It works best with hot water and may take 2 or 3 soakings in IO to come clean. IO is not an aggressive chemical, but it is a chemical so follow the safety precautions on the container, wear rubber gloves and don't breathe the fumes. Outside is best

Plus One on Iron Out. Do not buy the ready mixed. The powder comes in a small and large container. One cup dissolved in a gallon of warm water is average. And do not breath the powder dust when adding it. I keep my plastic containers out doors covered so birds or animals and children do not try to get too it.

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: