We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 20:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?

Index -> Incorrect classification and fakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Garret

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2020 22:32    Post subject: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Hello. I'm new to the forum and have a some questions regarding the authenticity of some mineral specimens on eBay. I'm not new to collecting minerals, but I'd still consider myself far from an expert. I have an extensive "budget" collection, some pieces I've had since I was a kid, with all sorts of well-known and uncommon minerals from about $5-$65 a piece with most being in the $15-$40 range.

So far, I haven't really had trouble telling real from fake and natural from dyed minerals. Natural formations are the easiest to tell, but even polished stones and slabs have been easy for me to know what I'm getting, up until I started looking into "Ocean Jasper".

I bought a couple specimens on eBay from Chinese sellers, and they are still on their way. I browsed some more and some things looked off to me, so I'm worried I might have bought enhanced or fake stones. I can't get pics of my own until they arrive, but I'll link a bunch of similar ones. Some look suspect to me, and some look natural, some I'm 50/50 on.

Supposedly, this "jasper" is actually a form of chalcedony, found mainly in Madagascar, often on beaches. I know that part is legit, but it's the specific specimens I've ordered and others on eBay I'm concerned about. Some sources say it's just more colors of polychrome jasper.

If anyone could help me identify whether these are real, fake, dyed, or a mix, it would be much appreciated.

If anyone can help, thanks in advance.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Garret

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2020 22:34    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Looks like the website won't let me link anything due to some spam filter. Sure helps me :/. Guess I'll have to wait until mine actually come in and photograph them.

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 05:29    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Ocean Jasper can indeed look like it has been dyed because it is so varied. I have about a dozen pieces of it in many forms. Just for fun I am attaching one of my specimens even without seeing yours.

Quartz - Madagascar G11-2-13 (ocean jasper).JPG
 Description:
Ocean jasper
 Viewed:  29171 Time(s)

Quartz - Madagascar G11-2-13 (ocean jasper).JPG

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 07:00    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Our anti-spam filters only allow links written in a very specific form

For example: https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/index.php, is a link within this forum so can be typed in directly, but had it been an external link you would have had to have added it as:

http(:)//www(.)foro(-)minerales(.)com/forum/index(.)php

Read this page for an explanation

https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1941

We get a huge number of people trying to add links to all sorts of strange sites, so use this format. As moderators, we then check the link and if it is ok normalize it.

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 12:50    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I'll read the guidelines for links and try to figure out how to get it working. As for the jasper, great picture and nice piece. It helps a bit, and I know it can come in a lot of colors and patterns. Still, some of them almost look too good to be true, like white with bright red, green, and blue all in one sphere.

Worst case scenario I don't quite figure out the links and I'll just wait for my two to come in and take pics. Thanks again to both of you for the help, and anyone else who might post.

lluis

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 13:43    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Hi, Garret, List

Personally, I think it is a blatant fake...

With best wishes

Lluís

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 14:03    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Hi Garret,

Since the FMF Forum is a non-commercial website, it does not permit links to other commercial websites, so the eBay link you provided has been deleted. If you want information regarding the authenticity of the jaspers, I suggest that when you receive the material you purchased, post a photo on this thread and I'm sure someone will chime in with an opinion.

Thanks,
Michael

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2020 15:50    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

I understand. Based on what I gather so far, one of the ones I ordered has a good chance of being fake or enhanced, with some very bright contrasting colors in certain areas. It's also from the same seller as the "obvious" fake. The other seems to possibly be real. I will take pictures when I receive them, but in the mean time, one simple question: How common is purple as a color in real ocean jasper?

I ask this because the more legit looking of the two I ordered is mostly brown, with purple and white spots in a loose orbicular type pattern all over. The purple is sort of a dulled pastel amethyst color, it doesn't look bright or necessarily dyed. The purple is dark around the borders of the orbicular spots and light in the middle, sort of interspersing with the white.

Any of that sound legit?

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2020 21:44    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Alright, so my specimens arrived yesterday, and surprisingly, it seems I may have worried for nothing. Up close, both look real. I'll try to get some pictures to confirm. The colors are more subdued than the pictures with perfect lighting suggest, and look real to me.

One is mostly brown with a bit of red and some white and purplish spots. It looks 100% natural, even the purple is kinda like you'd find on polychrome jasper.

The other one is mostly light blue with white, but it has brownish yellows, dark greens, and reds in certain areas. On close inspection the druze areas are natural looking and hard to fake. The colors of the spots look natural like what would typically be made by iron oxides and other minerals, they aren't overly bright.

I'll try to get a couple pictures when I get a chance, but I'm pretty certain they are legit.

Thanks again for the quick responses and help when I first posted the thread.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 05:47    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

For heavens sake wait until you receive the specimens so you can photograph them. Otherwise you can speculate all day!

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 14:01    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

I was just describing how they look AFTER receiving them. I said I had already received them I'm going to try to upload some decent photos when I get a chance. If you'd have read you would have known that, so please cool your jets, dude.

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 14:26    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Attempting to post pictures.

IMG_1604.JPG
 Mineral: Ocean Jasper
 Dimensions: 64mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28641 Time(s)

IMG_1604.JPG

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 14:29    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Second specimen

IMG_1608.JPG
 Mineral: Ocean Jasper
 Dimensions: 61mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  28609 Time(s)

IMG_1608.JPG

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 14:39    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

You do know you can have multiple photos in a single post, right?

Judging by your initial description, which failed to show us the photos of the vendor (no link is needed, just save from his site, as they have been bought by you it should be fine for such a question) ....it sounds most likely that your vendor is just guilty of massivley exaggeerating the colour saturation of his products.

This is very common, and even a lot of photos of very nice specimens I see on the internet have been given a HDR treatment and oversaturated the colours to a point that one would struggle to recognize the piece in real life.

I hope you are just happy with what you got, although this sort of material has no interest to me as it is cut and polished.

Garret

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2020 15:22    Post subject: Re: Please help! Is this "Ocean Jasper" Real or Dyed/Fake/Enhanced?  

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson wrote:
You do know you can have multiple photos in a single post, right?

Judging by your initial description, which failed to show us the photos of the vendor (no link is needed, just save from his site, as they have bee bought by you it should be fine for such a question) ....it sounds most likely that your vendor is just guilty of massivley exaggeerating the colour saturation of his products.

This is very common, and even a lot of photos of very nice specimens I see on the internet have been given a HDR treatment and oversaturated the colours to a point that one would struggle to recognize the piece in real life.

I hope you are just happy with what you got, although this sort of material has no interest to me as it is cut and polished.

Yeah, I'm happy with what I got now that I see it's most likely 100% natural. The price was good, and the specimens look high quality. I collect a lot of different types of minerals. I have a lot of raw and uncut/unpolished natural formations, and I have raw chunks and slabs of stuff that doesn't grow in any particular formation.

While I don't tend to go for cut and polished versions of stuff I can get in a cool natural formation, I do get polished and tumble stones of stuff like jasper that would otherwise just be chunks and slabs.

Overexaggerating the colors like these vendors do in the pictures just creates confusion. People end up either questioning their authenticity or get disappointed that the colors aren't quite as bright as they looked in the photos. Bad business if you ask me.

Index -> Incorrect classification and fakes   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: