We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:27

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What mineral is this?????

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ken

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2020 23:47    Post subject: What mineral is this?????  

I've been told that this is for sure some sort of mineral but no one can say for sure what mineral it is. I showed this to several people and like me most were clueless, I came across a geochemist at a mineral show who looked at this and noticed something that no one had before, glass bubbles. The geochemist tried to explain to me how something like this might have happened but my brain simply could not wrap itself around what I was being told. Based on this composition, does anyone know what type of mineral this pink/purple material is??? Is that amount of oxygen normal for a mineral??

1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6825 Time(s)

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6825 Time(s)

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6810 Time(s)

3.jpg

4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6808 Time(s)

4.jpg

5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6824 Time(s)

5.jpg

6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6822 Time(s)

6.jpg

7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6830 Time(s)

7.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 00:16    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

Ken:

This is another example of what most of us would call a "random rock" with you also furnishing a chemical analysis. It is difficult to say what the purple is - it could be a volcanic extrusive rock or it could be a mineral or group or minerals or whatever. We are just not going to be very helpful to you if you keep posing such questions to us.

As far as oxygen in a rock - oxygen is the most common element in the earth's crust. The most common minerals are silicates (composed in part of Si04 groups).

I don't believe that the way you are approaching this is the best way for you to proceed. You need context to interpret a chemical analysis - in fact, you should have context before you even conduct the analysis, otherwise your analyses won't be very useful, as I am afraid has been the case here.

You really need to go to a local rock club/mineral show/rockshop/geology department/state geologic survey and bend their ear. Or just read an introductory text on geology if you are so inclined.

Sorry and good luck.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 00:18    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

Looks like the color of fire retardants sprayed on forest fires from planes, so then the colored side was up and the other side down. Did it come from somewhere like California subject to forest fires?

Or it could be paint, which would explain the titanium content in the analysis. The other elements listed, like Si, Al, O, etc, are from the ordinary rock-forming minerals like feldspar and mica which constitute the bulk of the rock.

Don't feel bad about confusing this crust for a mineral. I've done that too, mistaking some pinkish violet patch on a rock for a mineral, and later with more detailed study finding out it was bird poop, probably a bird that had eaten blackberries ;((

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 00:29    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

Alfredo's fire retardant suggestion like it may be "right on", a very good thought. I would never have thought of this! (I've probably never seen fire retardant that was actually sprayed on a rock, either.)

In the first two photos, the underlying part of the rock looked greenish, which made me think it might be olivine (peridotite). But in the other photos, it just looks grayish, so I think, just a quartz-bearing rock, such as granite.

SteveB

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 00:31    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

#1 For Sure, it's not a mineral. It's a rock. Rocks are composed of minerals. Crystals are the purest form of a mineral. This reminds me of randoms forms workers would chuck in the kiln at my grandfathers brickworks. Workers would decorate their gardens with blobby bricks made from dregs of the mix. Where was this found?

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 09:54    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

The last highly magnified photo appears to show some shiny spherical objects in the pockets in the rock; they appear to be colorless. If they are as they appear, they probably are beads of glass. It's a stretch, but are these all essentially the same size? Does not matter too much, except trying to figure out what their source might be if they are indeed glass.

In any case, I cannot imagine any way this could be a natural rock containing such spheres. It is almost certainly man-made, though whether intentionally or accidentally is unclear.

Light elements like oxygen produce notoriously unreliable peaks, in the sense that you can't reliably judge concentration from peak height. This spectrum also shows a large carbon peak. Carbon is often not even detected by EDS. If the carbon peak really does indicate carbon, there might be quite a lot of it to produce such a peak. Perhaps there's quite a bit of organic matter in this pink region, which would be further evidence against it being a natural object.

You might try a paint solvent such as a paint stripper or GooGone on this stuff. They won't touch common minerals, but will dissolve paint and other similar organic materials.

I think you said you got some hardness points. How hard is this stuff?

Rugie

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 10:21    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

As for a red fire fighting (retardant) coating, I see no Phosphorus or Boron in the elemental analysis, so that is unlikely. Is the red coating removable with water? That test would be instructive also.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 13:03    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

There are tiny phosphorus peaks on the analysis, and boron is too light of an element to show up at all even if present in large amounts.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2020 13:46    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

Hi to everybody!
You may say it's a dinosaur egg!!! Hahahahaha!!!!
Greetings from Italy (just to smile a little bit!) by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Ken

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2020 01:43    Post subject: Re: What mineral is this?????  

I thought for sure this was some sort of paint, but you can't scrape it off, can't burn it off, and it has no reaction to acid. You have to pry it or chisel it off and when you do, some of the quartz comes off with it. I'm told that whatever it is, it appears to have been boiling hot when it splattered onto this quartz. The thickness is about 1-3 mm and has a hardness of about 5.5-6.0. This stone was washed out of a slot in a mountain side out in the middle of the desert.
Thanks for the replies and all the good info.

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: