We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:09

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

TomCotterell

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 10:19    Post subject: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

As part of my research into historic British mineral collectors I am trying to trace any specimens from Lady Charlotte Florentia Percy, nee Clive. Her collection was auctioned by Sotheby's in 1968 with the following buyers who I am trying to trace:

The most determined buyer was “Thomas, M. W.” (10 lots) referred to as “W. Thomas” in handwritten notes in an original catalogue. Other buyers included “Minerals Engineering” (3 lots), “Max Davis” (1 lot), “Vartenian” (5 lots), “Ulster Museum” (1 lot), “Seiferheld & Co.” [probably the New York-based art dealer] (1 lot), “Thornton, T. M.” (1 lot) and “Bizony, M. T.” (1 lot) (Sotheby & Co. catalogue, 9th July 1968).

I have already had a response from Ulster Museum and been informed of who M. W. Thomas is. I am also aware of the company Max Davis Stones, but all of the others have proved elusive to various internet searches. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Tom
Amgueddfa Cymru - National Museum Wales
Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 10:41    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

Assuming they got dispersed - are there any old labels we should look out for?

TomCotterell

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 10:46    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

Oh, if only it was that simple!

Unfortunately, the whole collection was dispersed, so the first step is trying to find a genuine specimen and then hoping that it has a distinctive label associated with it.

Needle in haystack springs to mind. My hope is that some of the specimen might just have been sold on as "ex Duchess of Northumberland" because of the prestigious name, but in all likelyhood if a collector owner died and the specimens were not labelled they might have been thrown out, or their details lost.

Fingers crossed for a breakthrough.

lluis

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 11:43    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

Well, maybe too naive, but if sold in auction, buyers could be known. And for what you say, they are...
Then, taking in account that it is not too old in time, many would be still alive. And addresses be known. Just question to ask for them... In UK, I suppose that would not be a great trouble, coming from a known museum and with a good reason.,
Then contact this address, If changed, anyone will know where they have gone, so, just more time, but find sure...
If they have still items, well, some are found. If sold, they know name of buyer. So again more time, but they could be find....
Maybe not all could be, but most part, Just question of time and looking at documents...

Wish it was so easy in my country..... :-(

with best wishes

Lluís

ian jones

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 13:00    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

Hi Tom

M Thomas is definitely Morrison Thomas. I knew him well many years ago, we used to go up to Weardale buying rocks off the miners and collected together quite a bit. And yes, he did sell his collection to Oxford. Unfortunately lost contact many years ago, but Dave Lloyd might just still have his contact details, will ask him for you.

On another subject, have acquired some interesting Welsh bits since we last spoke. Will be in touch.

cheers ian

TomCotterell

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 15:40    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

Thanks Ian,

Morrison Thomas has several websites dedicated to his other passions - woodturning and acting - so I should be able to get in touch. However, it has been suggested by Brian Lloyd that he attended the auction on behalf of a mining company in which case the specimens might be harder to trace.

Good to hear that you have some more Welsh specimens. I look forward to seeing them.

All the best,
Tom

TomCotterell

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2021 15:47    Post subject: Re: Tracing specimens from the Duchess of Northumberland (1787-1866)  

lluis wrote:
Well, maybe too naive, but if sold in auction, buyers could be known. And for what you say, they are...
Then, taking in account that it is not too old in time, many would be still alive. And addresses be known. Just question to ask for them... In UK, I suppose that would not be a great trouble, coming from a known museum and with a good reason.,
Then contact this address, If changed, anyone will know where they have gone, so, just more time, but find sure...
If they have still items, well, some are found. If sold, they know name of buyer. So again more time, but they could be find....
Maybe not all could be, but most part, Just question of time and looking at documents...

Wish it was so easy in my country..... :-(

with best wishes

Lluís

It would appear that some of the bidders used pseudonyms which will make tracing them much harder....

In theory the addresses of the succesful bidders should be recorded, but in the UK regulations known as GDPR mean that many companies will not divulge personal details such as names or addresses. I have the names, but in many cases trying to fit them to specific person is very difficult.

Brian Lloyd, who worked for the auction house at that time has provided me with some useful leads, but at least one of the purchasers was from overseas and another was last known in a care home some twenty years ago so tracing specimens might be challenging.

Regards,
Tom

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: