We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 21:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond

Index -> Rockhounding trips

View previous topic :: View next topic  

mineralenzo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2022 13:09    Post subject: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Hello everyone, my name is Enzo, I am a mineral researcher who delights in my free time looking for minerals particularly in the region where I reside (while not forgetting also those outside the region if conditions allow it) and I prefer to search in little areas known and frequented.
Now I leave you because the time at my disposal is running out and I will add that I will shortly give information on how collecting takes place in these parts, that is, with what methods and characteristics before proceeding to the story of the excursions! See you soon then!
Enzo.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2022 06:56    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Greetings to all, let's start this timeless walk ... Did you remember the first adventures, the first "hiking" outings of when you were young? I do and with a certain nostalgia, the memories and sensations of the time, the emotions of that time, I remember for example brief glimpses of the then walks in the company of my mother in the sectors of Sferracavallo or Mondello near Palermo where a piece of calcite in small crystals astonished and where I didn't even know the name of minerals ... Now, more than 40 years later, there are only memories without photos of that period which, however, sealed the basis for the future collection.

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2022 08:41    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Let's start this tour of the Argimosco plateau located on the eastern Nebrodi mountains, near Montalbano Elicona, in the province of Messina, north-eastern Sicily, Italy

E.jpg
 Description:
Here is a partial view with Etna in the background, of Argimosco with its cliffs, in some cases even over 40 meters high. In these rocks they are also called megaliths because it is thought that in ancient times they were "retouched" by prehistoric man for religious rites etc ... certainly some rocks show some human intervention but most have assumed unusual but natural forms.
 Viewed:  18551 Time(s)

E.jpg

O.jpg
 Description:
This sandstone rock formation recalls a woman in prayer is one of the attractions of the Argimosco, which d
rocks with strange shapes has many, it has also from a geological and partly mineralogical point of view. These megaliths are almost all passing sandstone in some cases conglomerate but there are traces of granite in these parts. They are located in the northern sector of the plateau.
 Viewed:  18507 Time(s)

O.jpg

G.jpg
 Description:
Here is one of the outcrops not even so easily accessible. You have to walk about ten minutes to reach them. As minerals they have quartz and phloglopitis, but there is no shortage of pegmatite filoncelli containing also tourmaline.
 Viewed:  18511 Time(s)

G.jpg

gran.JPG.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  18539 Time(s)

gran.JPG.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2022 13:35    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Volcanic islands located on the Tyrrhenian far north east of Sicily, Italy.

The naturalistic island par excellence, the closest from Milazzo, the place from which the connections to the islands depart and arrive, is Vulcano, with its particular smells that are perceived very often even before walking foot to the port of the island.
Here it is possible to see the Old Forge, the volcanic building that has the fumaroles, not exactly healthy, which can be accessed via a path prepared that is quite tiring if you are not adequately prepared and equipped. In recent times, however, for safety reasons due to an increase in fumarolic activity, access to the summit of the Volcano has been prohibited.
Piano Vulcano still has a fairly active tourist activity especially near the muds and the puddle and in the overlooking sea where, however, in certain points if you are not careful you risk getting burned since there are also active fumaroles (on the sea and on the adjacent beach including the sector adjacent to the pool) and along the streets some shops, bars, and restaurants.
Excellent for lovers of nature and also of minerals as long as they do not expect aesthetic minerals, Vulcano, in the summer season, except perhaps for a few days of August, can be a good idea, personally I think that May and September are the best two months to visit this island (especially in September due to the lower heat with the possibility of going to the beach) and to take walks without excessive crowds, which gradually increase in summer.

1y.jpg
 Description:
Forgia Vecchia
 Viewed:  18094 Time(s)

1y.jpg

Ve_Gallery.jpg
 Locality:
La Fossa crater, Vulcano Island, Eolie Islands, Lipari, Messina Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
 Viewed:  18124 Time(s)

Ve_Gallery.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2022 15:23    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Climbing along the slopes of the volcanic building "Forgia Vecchia" to the top of which the altitude reaches 400 meters in the highest part, is not so easy despite a well-maintained path but with sometimes very steep and sunny climbs. but the panoramic view from above amply repays the effort. exactly where you can see the fumes in the photo, there are also minerals of some interest, sulphides and sulphates in particular, sulfur and opal. However, the gases present there are very toxic.

If you were to pass through these parts do not forget to climb the crater perhaps passing through the fumaroles which are quite intense up close and, if you pass quickly, they are not even dangerous, always being careful. Returning to "Vulcano piano" near the port and the village, near the port you will find the mud pool, and here too there are fumaroles, two hills (which are all that remains of an ancient volcanic building) with rocks of various colors due to fumarolytic changes and in part hydrothermal.

Cy.jpg
 Locality:
La Fossa crater, Vulcano Island, Eolie Islands, Lipari, Messina Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
From the path that leads to the crater of the Forgia where you can see Lipari.
 Viewed:  18070 Time(s)

Cy.jpg

Po.jpg
 Locality:
Vulcano Island, Eolie Islands, Lipari, Messina Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
Image of the cliff near the port and the mud pit. Here too there are minerals, mainly sulphates and some rare carbonates, as well as sulfur and opal.
 Viewed:  18066 Time(s)

Po.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2022 06:32    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Leaving the Forgia, returning to Vulcano piano, you can reach the base of this small volcanic building called Vulcanello by means of an asphalted road, just over 130 meters high. leads inside the crater and on a small mine where alum was extracted until 1888. Interesting excursion from a naturalistic, geological, mineralogical and landscape point of view, not so difficult or complex to access.

St.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
The road leading to Vulcanello clearly visible in the background
 Viewed:  17985 Time(s)

St.jpg

Cvy.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
This appears on the edge of the Vulcanello crater where you can see the entrance to the small mine. Sulphates still emerge in these sectors.
 Viewed:  18002 Time(s)

Cvy.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2022 06:11    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Hello, today a journey begins in a sulfur mine, one of the few still accessible and not too dangerous (always paying attention), it is a small mine located in central eastern Sicily, in Mazzarino, Enna and its name is Bubbonia
for now I will stop here, next time I will post other photos inside including some minerals on site

Ry.jpg
 Locality:
Bubbonia Mine, Mazzarino, Caltanissetta Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
in the attached photos you can see the entrance to the mine seen from the side, and in the other photo the warehouses and offices of the mine partially renovated and managed by the forestry
 Viewed:  17604 Time(s)

Ry.jpg

May.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  17615 Time(s)

May.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2022 08:26    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

It is certainly interesting to enter these places that have been abandoned for decades and yet give a particular feeling. The sulfur mines have always represented for the Sicilians, something beautiful and ugly at the same time, here many people worked there, and not only adults, but also children who were called carusi, aged between 10 and 16 years who wore from the inside outside the mine of the boulders of sulfur combined with the gangue that weighed from 25 to 50 kilos per lap depending on the physical structure and age of the boy and the daily laps were even more than a dozen

Ce.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Dark yellow celestite within a cream-colored celestite cavity, 1-2 centimeter crystals
 Viewed:  17602 Time(s)

Ce.jpg

Cey.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  17618 Time(s)

Cey.jpg

Cay.jpg
 Description:
Here an example of the more or less compact radiated celestite within which, in the cavities, celestite, sulfur visible here, calcite and stronzianite, sometimes also barite and aragonite, are found
 Viewed:  17607 Time(s)

Cay.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2022 14:03    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

during the excursion, in the vicinity of the exit of the mine location, it is possible to have this type of encounters like this bat

Py.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  17565 Time(s)

Py.jpg

Pay.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
I like to observe everything during the excursions, animals, plants, geological structures and panoramic views like this one that I propose closing the discussion on this mine, for the specimens will be exhibited in the td of the collection soon
 Viewed:  17551 Time(s)

Pay.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 02, 2022 11:44    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

This time I take you to Monreale, a small town 8 km west of Palermo, at an altitude of 310 meters above sea level, which if you have the opportunity to pass by, I highly recommend you visit as the Norman Cathedral is the adjacent cloister were built centuries ago by the Normans who embellished both monuments with beautiful mosaics, and in addition to this there is a villa that has a viewpoint on the south side of the Conca D'oro and on part of Palermo. I close this preamble here.

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 02, 2022 12:03    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

But in Monreale there is also, since the end of 2017, the year in which it was established, a museum of minerals that is quite interesting both from a mineralogical and petrological point of view with the presence of some fossils and is contained within a large classroom scholastic, the museum is in fact dedicated mainly to young people and novices, however anyone can access it even upon reservation and admission is free.
The Marco Maiorana museum is located within the Antonio Veneziano school of Monreale, Via Kennedy, 2 and is open on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, from 10 to 12 (data that may be subject to change), next time a virtual internal visit with lots of showcases and minerals.

Mmmt.jpg
 Description:
Monreale, Metropolitan City of Palermo Province, Sicily, Italy
 Viewed:  17422 Time(s)

Mmmt.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 03, 2022 08:48    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Let's go inside but before delving into minerals, I would like to say a few words dedicated to the creator of all this: I am referring to Franco Tusa, who in addition to being the founder of the museum, is also director, curator, and also a guide for visitors.
Franco is also the president of the mineralogical association "La Tormalina" and from time to time also organizes excursions for educational-collecting purposes in the surroundings of the province of Palermo, including mines.
Here in the photo we see some micro specimens being viewed under a microscope. The microscope is also available to museum visitors.

Ft.jpg
 Description:
Some showcases in the museum, with the central table, and with Franco observing micros under the microscope.
 Viewed:  17314 Time(s)

Ft.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 03, 2022 12:21    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Some showcases of the Maiorana Museum

V4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17309 Time(s)

V4.jpg

1t.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17285 Time(s)

1t.jpg

Vi5.jpg
 Description:
This photo gives an idea of ​​the size of the room, to specify that this is a small village museum, but quite assorted as we will see later.
 Viewed:  17260 Time(s)

Vi5.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 07, 2022 07:33    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Let's move on to some minerals present inside the museum, which contains both Sicilian and Italian minerals and other classic world locations

G.jpg
 Mineral: Gypsum
 Description:
Falconara, Cianciana
 Viewed:  17162 Time(s)

G.jpg

Gt.jpg
 Mineral: Gypsum
 Description:
Lercara Friddi
 Viewed:  17166 Time(s)

Gt.jpg

S.jpg
 Mineral: Sulphur, Aragonite
 Locality:
Giumentaro Mine (Capodarso Mine), Capodarso, Enna (Castrogiovanni), Enna Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
Giumentaro mine
 Viewed:  17132 Time(s)

S.jpg

mineralenzo

PostPosted: May 10, 2022 10:48    Post subject: Re: A tour in Sicily for minerals ... and beyond  

Hi, here are some other examples from the museum.

Sct.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite on Quartz
 Description:
A note, however, to be included on this sample, Franco does not know the exact provenance but with high probability it is Sardinia, Italy.
 Viewed:  17028 Time(s)

Sct.jpg

Ast.jpg
 Mineral: Afitalite astrakhanite
 Locality:
Caltanissetta Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
a piece, in my opinion, quite interesting from a regional point of view (Sicily) for an excellent crystallization and integrity of the two / three centimeter crystals.
 Viewed:  17068 Time(s)

Ast.jpg

Dset.jpg
 Mineral: Sulphur Aragonite Calcite
 Locality:
Cozzo Disi Mine, Casteltermini, Agrigento (Girgenti) Province, Sicily, Italy
 Description:
This piece on which two stalactites rest comes from the Cozzo Disi mine, Casteltermini, Agrigento, Sicily and is rather unusual.
 Viewed:  17071 Time(s)

Dset.jpg

Index -> Rockhounding trips   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: