We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 18, 2024 15:47

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Should I be concerned about this nugget?

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 11:25    Post subject: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Its coated in a thick layer of scale colored orange brown and yellow tan. Found it with my metal detector in Arizona below an abandoned mine shaft. I looked up info on the old shaft, but didn't learn anything that would help. It reads nonferrous like gold. Once I rubbed the scale off, it appears to shine like silver or platinum, but it has a grey shine too. Its quite heavy for its one centimeter size. Seems to be quite brittle(alloy?) Not soft. I rubbed it quite hard against a thick ratchet strap and it left a light dull grey color on the strap, and less and less rubs off. A local rock shop owner thought it might be galena, but I've searched the net and can't find a similar match. Looks like it formed some cubical structure that is now rounded off. I have not tested it with a magnet yet.

The nearby dirt is mostly a light yellow color mixed with white schist. Lots of bright orange quartz mixed in as well. There are little clusters of a different metal/alloy that is a heavy dull grey metal nodules surrounded by orange yellow tan crystal structures. I panned out some dirt around where the nugget was found and did have some micron metal that acted like gold in the pan, but it was so small that I cannot gaurantee it is gold.

20211222_175132.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5932 Time(s)

20211222_175132.jpg

20211223_105607.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5909 Time(s)

20211223_105607.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 11:35    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

It seems although over time its tarnished a little from a more whiter silver to a more grey silver but I don't want to polish it again in case its toxic. I'd say half of the rock is metal.

20220319_091818.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5924 Time(s)

20220319_091818.jpg

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 11:53    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Here are the dull grey nodules I mentioned above next to a galena and rose quartz specimen I found in the same dry wash only feet away.

20220319_094044_1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5909 Time(s)

20220319_094044_1.jpg

20220319_093739_1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5905 Time(s)

20220319_093739_1.jpg

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 12:06    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Here is the same nodule in the picture above broken open. You can see its not shiny metal like the nugget, but I found pounds of whatever this metal is. Its heavy but not nearly as heavy as the shiny nugget.

20220319_095936.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5887 Time(s)

20220319_095936.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

The nugget in your first photo is pure enough that a density test would go a long way in helping to identify it. Grey metallic minerals without crystal faces are impossible to identify just from looking at photos, as there are way too many possibilities.

The pale yellowish white oxidation rind however gives a clue that it may be some lead, antimony, arsenic or bismuth mineral.

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 12:16    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

My concern on the shiny nugget is that it might be an alloy containing radioactive material. Also while I was out hunting this spot a couple guys came by and suggested that I might want to wear a mask if I broke any of this into a powder to pan out as it might contain uranium. I gather they may have known more about the area then me, and they specifically said they were looking for metal and one mentioned they may have left some metal behind. This got me thinking it might be a valuable metal, maybe a mozanite thorium rare earth mixture?,... but I want to know what you think?

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 12:50    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Find out the mine name (from maps) and that will help you. Then see what they mined there. Lumps of great metallic ore could be many things, and knowing the mine helps narrow it down. So it could be galena or stibnite, or something else. Impossible to say from the photos

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 13:01    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

The fact that you found it with a metal detector tells us one property of the material: that it's an electrical conductor, which eliminates from consideration a lot of grey metallic minerals that are only poor conductors, like the sulphosalts. But that still leaves a lot of possibilities, with galena being by far the most common, but also things like acanthite, silver, native bismuth, native antimony...

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 13:42    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

James Catmur wrote:
Find out the mine name (from maps) and that will help you. Then see what they mined there.

I did a bit more research, and I couldn't find this mines name, but I found out the ore body nearby contains lazulite, rutile and kyanite, and the main commodity is titanium. I placer mine in Alaska in summertime and definitely can feel the weight being closer to gold then titanium. This particular collapsed mine looks to be a prospect hole, but who knows?

Half a mile away is a named mine and they produced gold and silver. I found this colorful rock about a half mile from the nugget.

20220319_094121.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5762 Time(s)

20220319_094121.jpg

SteveB

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2022 22:35    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Yes a density measurement is a must. Photos pretty irrelevant here, an accurate hardness test with hardness scribes will also help but density is a must.
Dont handle food after handling this and dont eat the rock at all.Geiger counters can be picked up fairly cheap and are good enough to confirm if its radioactive much, not likely and I dont think any radioactive “Metals” naturally occur in metal form. Could just be some solder too. Even if its arsenic its nothing to worry about as long as you wash your hands before eating (general life advice everyone should be following anyway. Plus things like mercury, arsenic and lead dont just kill people from a little handling, it takes a LOT of handling constantly over a long period to have any health effects. People are just dumbly concerned over nothing when they hear certain words.test density properly and get a number. Dont just say “it feels heavy like a quartz pebble or a #2 sinker. Maybe a school can help you test density as it needs accurate equipment they would have, a jeweler might help too but “identification” will probably cost you.

WatchGrassGrow

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2022 01:27    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

SteveB wrote:
and don't eat the rock at all

Steve I feel like an idiot. I watch lots of Australian detectorists put gold nuggets in their mouth to clean them off, and I was so excited at finding a really heavy chunk of something reading only nonferrous on my goldmonster that I popped it in my mouth, expecting to see yellow gold somewhere on it. I immediately spit it out thinking I may have messed up seeing all the yellowish dirt (oxides) around. At that point I was thinking I was sucking on a peice of lead. The next day when I went back the other 2 guys showed up and had mentioned a mask and possible uranium in the area and I regretted my stupidity even more.

Anyways I'm trying to be smarter, and I guarantee you I won't be eating any more mineral samples anytime soon. Also you could call me golem, and this rock/metal sample would be ,"my precious" by how much I have been rolling it around in my hand. I appreciate the common sense advice of washing hands etc. I just won't touch it at all until I find out more about it.

I know some niton guns (xrf) don't show all rare earth elements, but would this be just as helpful as a density test?

Whatever I find out I'll post it here, and I won't be handling this metal as much as I have been until I find out what it is. Not soft like lead, but doesn't fracture like the black glass galena/rose quartz found nearby. Silver color when polished and seems to fade to a darker silver grey over time a long time. There was only a few trash targets dug here and these mineral samples. At this point my best guess is maybe it is galena with an extremely high silver content, but its just a guess.

Here is another picture of the orange quartz white schist area just a few feet above where this nugget was found. The nugget was at the lowest point in the dry creek like I'd expect this heavy mineral to be. If you look at the photo there is a 1 foot wide 6 foot long 1 foot deep cut where it looks like someone took out a concentrated ore sample, maybe high grading. What I found interesting is the redish rock just poking out in the middle of that cut. This is why I was guessing maybe monazite, but the metal doesn't tarnish black like most thorium pictures I have seen,, so I take that idea back.. Im a professional gold dredger and very amature rockhounder. The collapsed mine shaft is actually 100 feet up the hill from this mineral deposit. If I was completely honest with myself I'd say the almost microscopic dust that acted like gold in the pan had more of a silver color than a gold color. I was expecting gold to be running with the schist.

20211223_105620_1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5627 Time(s)

20211223_105620_1.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2022 06:19    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

You are doing an awful lot of speculation, when you should be doing testing. Personally, I would never put an unknown in my mouth - more so with some alteration crust on it. A lot of persons that hunt with metal detectors have a slim hold on science and mineralogy. A few know a lot. While it is true that most 'dangerous' minerals need to be eaten or inhaled in some quantity to do harm, that is not true of all of them. There is one here in Czech Republic that was used to kill rats and people through the ages. One from Kola and a few other places [I'd rather not name it] in rather small quantities in the mouth or swallowed could kill one [it is water soluble and looks like candy]. Both I'm talking about are rare...but don't be silly or stupid. Not everything in nature is harmless! Specific gravity test and good hardness test would tell you a lot. Then, if still of interest, you could have it tested on sophisticated machine - but unless you are lucky you may have to pay for that. It could be, as mentioned, just solder or molten metal from work on whatever they had at the mine. I even had a 'friend' who made it his business [sic] to 'salt' dumps with minerals from far distant and completely different dumps just to drive people crazy - a sadistic mineralogist! But mine waste put there by humans has misled many. Just do your homework and don't expect an answer from photos posted here. You have been given many good ideas and leads. Finding out what was found at that mine would really limit things, but keep in mind it could be anthropogenic and not natural. I doubt my 'friend' made it to AK...he was Colorado based.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2022 07:34    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

I recall people dumping specimens they did not want at the next mine they visited, thus messing up what is found where

Watch - please do the tests suggested. Color, hardness, density and streak. That gives you a good start. Then work from there, knowing the area / mine and you might get a good idea.

As Peter says, never put things in your mouth or breath in dust from them. I used to collect in a silver mine, which had a significant radon accumulation - so you never went underground.

Don Lum

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2022 14:05    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

Health Risk of Radon | US EPA
https://www.epa.gov/radon/health-risk-radon
(link normalized by FMF)

The report confirms that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. and that it is a serious public health problem. The study fully supports EPA estimates that radon causes about 15,000 lung cancer deaths per year.

SteveB

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about this nugget?  

If you must “clean something in the field, spit on it and rub gently, do not put in your mouth. But your after financial reward it seems, this is a mineral forum, our interest is the mineral in natural form. At this point since you haven't done tests required to identify anything I would speculate its lead. Lead is commonly found by gold hunters as the locations are remote and idiots have to take guns to play with to remote locations. Then people come along and find something heavy and think they’ve struck it rich. I've seen people like that come on here being cagey in case someone stole their claim or reported their claim stealing so would say nothing that might give away location. then a few simple test later, their find was just a chunk of solder that a concretion had formed around instead of the nugget of platinum they were convinced it was. Plus remember no gold location has ever been seen by humans unless its been dug, and mercury was a common way of gathering gold. But my guess is its lead shot which could mean anything these days, just a heavy alloy of stuff excluding actual lead, “green” bullets and could be all sorts of shapes might have hit a rock face that had lots of squarish cracked and formed an interesting shape, then maybe spent some time rolling down a slope maybe water tumbled a bit. So you seem to be jumping at shadows wanting it to be something its not, and xrf test would be useful but likely expensive, its only certain types of highly dangerous radioactive mineral that are excluded from most xrf machines as they are not what mining companies are after when surveying land and still an xrf is not going to tell you what the mineral is, only the elements present which YOU still need to match to minerals could be a bullet projectile a dog ate and pooped out. Density narrows possibilities to only a few and hardness refines to an exact match but only if this is a “pure” natural mineral sample, if its manmade which I’m thinking likely then precisely what might never be known, but get the tests done as nothing else will help get an answer.

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: