We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:52

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Novice questions!

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joel_Foreman

PostPosted: May 03, 2022 14:25    Post subject: Novice questions!  

Hello all,

As a kid I was fascinated with minerals and when I got a guidebook I was hunting for minerals on every occasion I could. Though without much knowledge and the internet was not that full of info at that time. So I didn't make many great finds, the adventure and anticipation was epic!

After some time my focus shifted and I lost interest in this amazing hobby.
Now I am doing a long van tour along the Atlantic coast from the south of Portugal to the north of France (in Galicië Spain now). I have put in on my bucket list for the trip to make up for not finding anything as a kid and so I would very much like to find some nice mineral(s) if possible.
So far my efforts were not fruitfull and I haven't found that much information on the internet either. I hope that you can help with some basic questions.

How does it work with the legality of finding minerals? Does one need a permit, a permission, or similar? Do you need to pay for it? I guess this depends on the location?

Do you maybe know any locations for beginners at the north coast of Spain? I have no specific wishes for the minerals, though fluorite looks really cool, I would be happy with some nice quartz crystals honestly.

What is the basic gear that you would bring? As a kid I only had a chisel and a hammer. Anything else that you would recommend?

Once again I am a complete beginner and apologies for any stupid questions. Any information would be very helpful!

Best regards,
Joel
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 03:21    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Hi Joel,

Passed your request to the Spanish side of this Forum -> https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157075#157075

The Grupo Mineralóxico e Xeolóxico Galego from Galicia maybe could help you.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 03:51    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Joel

Hammer, chisel, gloves and eye protection are the gear you must use. Collecting in national parks is not allowed.

The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.

As you travel east through Spain there are localities worth visiting, such as all the Fluorite mines near Berbes, the mines high in the Picos de Europa (Aliva mines), etc. Have a look at MinDat (our database has many more localities, but is harder to access)

https://www.mindat.org/loc-14967.html

James

Joel_Foreman

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 06:07    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Thank you Jordi, maybe they have specific tips for this region!

And thanks for tips James, the eye protection and gloves do seem like a good idea indeed.
How does it work with those mines, are they accessible for everyone? The ones in Pico's de Europa do not fall under the rule to not collect in the a national park?

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 09:42    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Besides what others recommended, I would never go out in the field without a good hand lens. For years, I have used a 10X B&L Coddington magnifier, though some swear by more powerful lenses. The higher the magnification, the more imnportant it is to buy a triplet lens to correct for the distortion inherent in single or doublet lenses.

If you learn to use a magnifier correctly, you don't need internal lighting, and I've never cared for those portable microscopes and other fancy gadgets that are easily lost or broken. But that's just a personal preference.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 11:31    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Joel

They do fall under that rule, but it is still an amazing place to just explore and see - you can walk on mine tips. Do be careful about shafts, falls, etc. Andara mine is also an amazing place to visit, even if you collect nothing. Fantastic scenery and a great hike in/out. Takes lots of water and food.

James

Joel_Foreman wrote:
Thank you Jordi, maybe they have specific tips for this region!

And thanks for tips James, the eye protection and gloves do seem like a good idea indeed.
How does it work with those mines, are they accessible for everyone? The ones in Pico's de Europa do not fall under the rule to not collect in the a national park?

Jesús Martínez (Suso)

PostPosted: May 04, 2022 13:35    Post subject: Re: Novice questions!  

Hi from GMXG!

Good afternoon In Galicia it is not easy to recommend a place where you can safely find something. Quarries and mines are not accessible without permission, and other places depend on luck and work. The Bama mine, which would be an easy and fun place, is now covered in sewage sludge. But since you are going along the north coast, I recommend that you visit the cliffs of Vixia Herbeira. In the area you will easily find specimens of the group of serpentinite and with not too much difficulty something else (Opal, chromite). And if you do not find anything, it is a geologically exciting place and an impressive landscape.

Regards!

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: