We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:43

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2022 10:58    Post subject: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

The book on 100 geological heritage sites has been published by the IUGS. You can read more about it here:

https://iugs-geoheritage.org/

There is a book which contains information on each of the sites, which you can download as a PDF:

https://iugs-geoheritage.org/videos-pdfs/iugs_first_100_book_v2.pdf

Or pre-order a copy on a first come – first served basis:

https://iugs-geoheritage.org/order-your-book/

A quick read suggests that I have visited 12 of these sites, although I did not realise their importance at the time:
Iguaçu, Almaden, Zumaia, Siccar, Hong Kong, Moine, Dasht-e Lut, Cappadocia, Sugarloaf in Rio, La Palma, Grand Canyon, Jbel Tizagzaouine
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 01, 2022 18:26    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

This is a nice book, with bite-sized, well-illustrated articles on a bunch of sites that tell us some of why we know what we know about geology.

My nephew is toying with majoring in geological science, and I will send him this book. If he reads it, he can cite interesting examples in class.

Thanks for sharing.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2022 11:53    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

I have ordered a copy (I hope) to add to my mineral/geology collection

silvia

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2022 17:59    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

I have noticed a very disturbing trend in the last 50+ years. Many ‘mineralogical sites’ that were public property in the truest sense of the word are now closed to collectors under the general heading of ‘heritage’ a very dubious title at best. I remember the good old days when one could walk in and around old mines without interference or hindrance from un-elected bureaucrats, do-gooders, know-it-alls or self-appointed government experts.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2022 11:19    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

As far as I know you can visit all these heritage sites, but private land is just that, so make sure you check the access rights and laws on entering private land before visiting any of them.

silvia wrote:
I remember the good old days when one could walk in and around old mines without interference or hindrance from un-elected bureaucrats, do-gooders, know-it-alls or self-appointed government experts.

silvia

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2022 15:22    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

We cannot speak confidently about every former mine on every continent that is deemed or to be deemed an heritage site but we have had considerable experience with former mining sites (now Heritage listed) in the UK, USA, Europe, Australia and Canada the vast majority under the ownership of the state. For well over 50 years and in some cases over 100 years information on some of these mines – their operation, the founders and operators of the mines and the history of the mine - has been readily accessible through Libraries, Universities and National archives. We have 100’s of black and white photos of many heritage listed mines including but not limited to, underground workings, mining equipment, surface structures and personnel, that can be easily obtained from the National archives in the various countries. We also have copies of paintings and sketches produced in the latter part of the 1700’s and the early part of the 1800’s showing both surface structures and underground workings. We have 1000’s of pages of information - scientific and anecdotal - on the geology and mineralogy of the mines. We even have mining artifacts that date back to the late 1700’s and early 1800’s.

There is absolutely nothing an un-elected bureaucrat (pencil-pusher with a fine arts degree) could tell us that we do not already know. What we do know is that these mines came into existence to exploit ore deposits – period!!! And we have the right to collect minerals on public land.

There are many reasons why access to these sites is being restricted, and “Heritage” is just a convenient label to justify the restrictions. The reasons are both sociological and political and yes they do impact mineral collectors in a very profound way, so do not ignore them.

We are living in a society that is rapidly becoming a ‘nanny-state’ in which some people will not take personal responsibility for their actions. Some folks will always be looking for someone to blame for their accidents, their physical or intellectual shortcomings, their poverty etc., etc., and in the case of owners and operators of mines or mining sites this blame can lead to litigation. It has happened, and it will continue to happen where someone does something silly and the owner is sued by the silly person. The solution is an old one let people know, “old mine - shafts and surface workings, enter at own risk.” Get the message enter at own risk!

FUTURE OF MINERAL COLLECTING.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  5421 Time(s)

FUTURE OF MINERAL COLLECTING.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2022 03:04    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

These are not mines, they are geologically interesting sites that have a role in our understanding of geology.

This book/list is an excellent way of getting people interested in geology by helping them know where they might find local places they can visit. I have taken my children to a number of these sites over the years, using public access right and, following this publication, a number of people I know have decided to visit sites they were not aware of.

If you wish to visit one just search for access information. For Siccar point you could use a site like:

https://www.geowalks.co.uk/siccar-point/visiting-siccar-point/
(link normalized by FMF)

It does include your safety warning:

Safety note: Siccar Point itself is at the foot of a steep grassy slope, which can be treacherous. The key features can be observed from the top of the slope.

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2022 01:58    Post subject: Re: First 100 IUGS Geological Heritage Sites  

mistake ,you can delete

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: