We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Minerals & Fossils yt

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2023 13:38    Post subject: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michael F Cox

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2023 19:55    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Hi there,

I find these useful to learn about interesting mineral discoveries, but I take the "rarest" designation with a grain of salt because that is a very subjective thing. Mineralogy is ever changing and markets for minerals are even more capricious, so trying to say this or that is the rarest is really kind of a silly thing. I have learned about some minerals for which there is only one microscopic scrap and no longer enough material left for further analysis. Tedhadleyite is one example.

best regards,

Mike

Minerals & Fossils yt

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2023 20:00    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Definitely, I agree with this. It is an ever changing subject, you never know one day a significant source of the material may be found making it ultra common for example. To be fair it’s just for the sake of making it sound more interesting…it is still an ultra rare mineral in the sense only a significant specimen exists. But thank you for your comment! It is 100% correct.

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2023 20:30    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

I suppose the "rarest" minerals are the ones for which there was only one known specimen and that was later lost or destroyed, leaving none at all in any collection whether public or private.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 06:02    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Hello Alfredo,
In this case, IMA does not recognize the species, I think.
I believe the Madagascar pezzottaite was only found in one cavity.
1 thousand specimens? Exhausted today?
It seems to me the rare mineral – gem.
attached some pictures of pezzotaite.

Pezzo-Benoit#5-01-AB1_R.jpg
 Mineral: Pezzotaite
 Locality:
Ambatovita, Mandrosonoro, Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
 Description:
with albite
 Viewed:  5831 Time(s)

Pezzo-Benoit#5-01-AB1_R.jpg

Pezzo-Benoit#2-2-01AB1a_R.jpg
 Mineral: Pezzottaite
 Locality:
Ambatovita, Mandrosonoro, Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
 Description:
with Schorl
 Viewed:  5825 Time(s)

Pezzo-Benoit#2-2-01AB1a_R.jpg

Pezzo-Micro#1-01-AB-2_R.jpg
 Mineral: Pezzottaite
 Locality:
 Description:
It's not a beryl.
 Viewed:  5828 Time(s)

Pezzo-Micro#1-01-AB-2_R.jpg

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 10:42    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Roger, one thousand specimens makes it a "common" mineral, not a "rare" one, for the systematic species collectors! ;))
I suppose "rare" and "common" are rather uselessly vague adjectives, like trying to describe climates using only the words "hot" and "cold". The word is meaningless without numerical data.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 12:51    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

As you say it all depends on how you measure it. Like so many things, unit matter: Number of known specimens; total weight of all known specimens, the total weight of the actual known mineral (so excluding other minerals present in the specimens), etc. As so often in life you can pick the units to get the answer you want. Clearly, as you said, Jamescatmurite is the rarest as it scores 0 on any unit of measure!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 15:01    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

To what James wrote above, I'll add another factor: number of localities. Which is more rare: a mineral that occurs at only one locality on the planet, but is available there in kilogram quantities or even tons, or a mineral that occurs at hundreds of localities but only a few milligrams or micrograms at each place?

Most people consider gold to be rare, although it is strange but true that by any of these mineralogical criteria, native gold is a very common mineral, certainly among the top 10% of common species out of the roughly 6,000 species currently known.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 15:38    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

Precisely, gold is a very special case.
What is the origin of the formation of nuggets?
I think that a quantity of gold escaped the migration to the core of the planet because it was not in a metallic state, but combined with elements such as tellurium, forming unstable combinations.
Or did the telluride anions act as a mineralizer by concentrating the finely dispersed gold like sulfur did for copper?
What was the role of the bacteria that concentrated it in the pegmatites?

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 04:01    Post subject: Re: Kyawthuite, the rarest mineral on earth mini guide  

I forgot that one!

alfredo wrote:
To what James wrote above, I'll add another factor: number of localities. Which is more rare: a mineral that occurs at only one locality on the planet, but is available there in kilogram quantities or even tons, or a mineral that occurs at hundreds of localities but only a few milligrams or micrograms at each place?

Most people consider gold to be rare, although it is strange but true that by any of these mineralogical criteria, native gold is a very common mineral, certainly among the top 10% of common species out of the roughly 6,000 species currently known.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: